I think this tour is going to be a little bittersweet

Mara

I know I am probably going to have a bit of a lump in my throat during parts of the show this time round. There's a little bit of an ache in knowing that Rush as we know and love them is coming to an end. It's been an amazing 40 years.

I can only hope there will be some new music from time to time, even if there are no more big tours.

• Like 8

Frontman Geddy Lee spoke with Rolling Stone about the tour last November, noting, "I would think if we're going to do some sort of anniversary thing, it'll probably be a 'trip through the years' kind of thing." When pressed, he said he was open to performing such rarities as the two books of "Cygnus," "Cut To The Chase" and "Chemistry."
  • Like 2

I feel the same way Mara.

I do have the feeling that this is, in fact, the last tour.

The boys have been softening the blow by dropping hints of such on the topic when they talk about physical, personal and emotional demands.

I'm so very fortunate to have seen them as much as I have over the years...from the A Farewell to Kings Tour right on up to the upcoming R40 Tour.

I've grown up and now old with their music...and am as excited about seeing them live now as much as I did when I was a lad of just 14 way back in 1977.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/oribilu/Rush_Group_1978.jpg

• Like 2

It is said. very sad. but ever since time Machine. I've had a feeling it was the start of a final lap. I do think we will get 1 more.......MAYBE 2 more albums. 2 is asking for a lot though.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

These posts are making me literally cry. I too have a feeling about this tour. That last show at the Forum really makes me think. I too have grown up and old with this band, having so many memories and shows, it is hard to think about them not being there.

I prefer to remain optimistic, and would like to believe that they will continue to perform live, just in smaller shows, and with only a few shows tied to whatever they are promoting. When at the concert I am going to, I am going to remain excited, and the only bittersweet feeling I will take with me will be the encore, knowing that it could be the last show I will be at (though I will pull out all the stops I can if they do another show after this tour).

This is the feeling I get/got when I first heard the Garden. Why that song got me. ❤️

If they play that song - and I know it's a favorite of Neil's - I am going to be sobbing unashamedly.

• Like 3

No one has said anything about them ceasing all touring activity, or retiring, or stopping doing what they've been doing. I don't understand why people think this is the end. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Scorpions said they wouldn't be doing any more extensive tours... and then they kept right on doing them. Deep Purple still tours. LEMMY still tours.

People need to stop acting like they're being put out to pasture. Others who are older than them with longer professional careers are still touring and performing quality shows.

• Like 2

I'm just going to enjoy the three shows I'm going to (Columbus, Buffalo, Portland) and not worry about not seeing them again until after-the-fact. Especially when I still think there's a good chance they'll unveil a second leg in spring 2016, hitting Europe and the markets they missed on this leg, such as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Saratoga, Hershey, somewhere in Connecticut, etc.

This isn't their last tour, if it was they would have announced it. You don't think they would promote the hell out of that to boost ticket sales? And don't anyone give me the line "Rush is just gonna go out quietly and not say anything" that I've seen some say on here in the past. Do you honestly think they're gonna retire and not let their fans, a lot of whom have been insanely loyal for decades, know that this is the last go around? I believe Rush thinks enough of their fans to let us know when their last tour will be.

I don't expect them to get to R50 but I still see a couple of shorter tours (maybe 15-20 dates each) before they hang it up. If i'm wrong and this is the last go for them then i'll admit I was wrong but I don't see them retiring just yet.

No one has said anything about them ceasing all touring activity, or retiring, or stopping doing what they've been doing. I don't understand why people think this is the end. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Scorpions said they wouldn't be doing any more extensive tours... and then they kept right on doing them. Deep Purple still tours. LEMMY still tours.

People need to stop acting like they're being put out to pasture. Others who are older than them with longer professional careers are still touring and performing quality shows.

yeah, but no one in maiden, priest, scorps, motorhead, or purple has been whining about how hard it is to tour for the past 30 years the way geddy and neil have. lemmy does not give a f**k about hemingway and faulkner references while snowboarding in china on his blog, he likes to take speed, drink, smoke, and rock. plus, none of those bands have music that's anywhere near as demanding as rush's, and even bands that get kinda complex like priest, maiden, purple, have 5-6 members to handle it, not 3.

I definitely think this is the last major tour, but I do think they'll be doing smaller tours from now on. 10-20 dates, maybe.

Frontman Geddy Lee spoke with Rolling Stone about the tour last November, noting, "I would think if we're going to do some sort of anniversary thing, it'll probably be a 'trip through the years' kind of thing." When pressed, he said he was open to performing such rarities as the two books of "Cygnus," "Cut To The Chase" and "Chemistry."

You added that last part yourself Ya?? Cygnus??

I would rather have read:

"This will be Neil Peart's last motorcycle tour of the US of this magnitude"... Starting next tour he will take a plane like everyone else and stop complaining of every little pain he's had for the last decade due to motorcycling 1000 off road miles between dates.

• Like 2

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Scorpions said they wouldn't be doing any more extensive tours... and then they kept right on doing them. Deep Purple still tours. LEMMY still tours.

Those bands all play shorter shows, I have seen Maiden, Priest and Motorhead within the last couple of years and Maiden's show was the longest at almost 2 hours, Priest barely plays 100 minutes now and Motorhead's was a little short of an hour but that's to be expected on a festival. I hate to say it but Rush should probably think about shortening their show but they really can't since fans would be pissed off about paying higher ticket prices for a shorter show. I love the evening with format but it has probably taken its toll on the boys over the years.

I'm probably in the minority but I actually want them to go when they're still on top of their game.

Geddy's voice is not the same anymore and Neil can't play with that kind of intensity when's he's 70 or 75. Rush isn't the Stones or the Eagles... it's very demanding music to play.

Of course it'll be sad but everything comes to an end eventually. It's been one hell of a run, they have NOTHING to prove and the band has cemented its position in rock'n'roll history forever.

• Like 3

I can only hope there will be some new music from time to time, even if there are no more big tours.

I agree. I really like Rush concerts and everything that goes with them, but I would love some new music. I think they are all to creative not to record again.

I'm probably in the minority but I actually want them to go when they're still on top of their game.

Geddy's voice is not the same anymore and Neil can't play with that kind of intensity when's he's 70 or 75. Rush isn't the Stones or the Eagles... it's very demanding music to play.

Of course it'll be sad but everything comes to an end eventually. It's been one hell of a run, they have NOTHING to prove and the band has cemented its position in rock'n'roll history forever.

I am with you, Detonator. :)

• Like 1