Anyone get bored of snakes and arrows live dvd??

nicky6

Tried checking it out again last night, seen a lot of times, just couldn't get into it, love the 97 Molson footage to no end, specially natural science. I just kinda found snakes a little boring. I remember I couldn't wait till it came out , I was so excited, but now its not thrilling anymore. Anyone else noticed this with their live dvds??

A Show of Hands is still the best.

But I love Time Machine. Absolutely ADORE it .

Even Geddy's voice can't ruin that almost perfect experience. :D

I have never been too excited about the S&A vid.

I like S&A Live, because S&A was my first in-person Rush tour (Darien Lake '07 and Saratoga '08). The setlist is very deep and both the audio and visuals are good. The two minor things about the DVD that are a turn-off to me are: 1. the fact that each half of the concert is on a different disc. Not a big fan of having to switch DVDs (not being lazy, just don't like the interrupting aspect of it). ...and 2. SPINDRIFT!!! Goodness gracious, I love S&A (the album) overall, but can't STAND Spindrift. Armor & Sword plods along live, too...they did a good job in the first set, sprinkling in TMMB and Larger Bowl, but when they came out of intermission, they should have ONLY done Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels, and TWtWB, then back into the old stuff (with MalNar and Hope still mixed in later). People like to point out all the songs on the DVDs that are "set killers" to them, but to me, in all 8 of my live shows across three tours (S&A, TM, CA), as well as the corresponding three DVDs, the only songs that were ever set-killers were Spindrift and Armor & Sword (okay, I lied...I didn't like 7CoG on the CA tour either).

Well, I love all the love albums, for different reasons. SnA is one I think will never get old. I'm not a huge fan of the studio album, but most of the songs come across well live. The versions of Limelight, Mission, and Witch Hunt on this album are unparalleled.
  • Like 2

Tried checking it out again last night, seen a lot of times, just couldn't get into it, love the 97 Molson footage to no end, specially natural science. I just kinda found snakes a little boring. I remember I couldn't wait till it came out , I was so excited, but now its not thrilling anymore. Anyone else noticed this with their live dvds??

That's due in part to the setlist of that tour. I find myself being able to watch ALL of Time Machine and Clockwork Angels in one sitting, but I end up skipping so much of Snakes and Arrows live.

Well, I love all the love albums, for different reasons. SnA is one I think will never get old. I'm not a huge fan of the studio album, but most of the songs come across well live. The versions of Limelight, Mission, and Witch Hunt on this album are unparalleled.

I agree with Limelight and Mission but the best Witch Hunt performance UNDOUBTLY is Grace Under Pressure Live.

"Bored"? Well, that's the last word I'd use to describe this DVD. The sound and the video are amazing IMO and that what makes this release enjoyable for me. The whole mix makes the band sound big and clear. Every instrument sounds clear and crisp, unlike the TMT and CA videos which sound compressed, and for me it's a big disappointment because newer releases usually sound better, not worse.

Also, Geddy's vocal performance is simply AMAZING. The tone of his voice sounds mature and he manages to stay in tune.

However, the setlist might not be the best, and I'll agree with you about that.

• Like 1

"Bored"? Well, that's the last word I'd use to describe this DVD. The sound and the video are amazing IMO and that what makes this release enjoyable for me. The whole mix makes the band sound big and clear. Every instrument sounds clear and crisp, unlike the TMT and CA videos which sound compressed, and for me it's a big disappointment because newer releases usually sound better, not worse.

Also, Geddy's vocal performance is simply AMAZING. The tone of his voice sounds mature and he manages to stay in tune.

However, the setlist might not be the best, and I'll agree with you about that.

Compressed sound put aside, the great setlists of both the Time Machine and Clockwork Angels tours make up for it.

I get bored with this one any time they drag out (drag being the operative word) something from S&A.

I remember that stretch of songs - Armor & Sword, Spindrift, The Way the Wind Blows - as an audience member...sucked the life out of the arena. Workin' Them Angels and the instrumentals were good, though. The Plain of Dharma video clip was awesome.
  • Like 3

Favorite Rush live DVD/Album, and maybe my favorite of all time as I don't really care for live albums / dvds, but this one is a huge exception :D

Freewill, Witch Hunt, YYZ, Digital Man, Way the Wind Blows, Spindrift... All incredibly strong performances.

• Like 1

I agree with Limelight and Mission but the best Witch Hunt performance UNDOUBTLY is Grace Under Pressure Live.

As much as I love Grace Under Pressure Live, I feel the emotion in Geddy's voice was conveyed better on S&A. Both are excellent performances. Also forgot to mention Secret Touch. That was a good performance as well.

• Like 1

Yes, by the third song in the second set. But since I don't need to pass time getting a beer or hitting the can, I just fast forward to sing six of the second set, and all is good again.
  • Like 1

I get bored with this one any time they drag out (drag being the operative word) something from S&A.

I remember that stretch of songs - Armor & Sword, Spindrift, The Way the Wind Blows - as an audience member...sucked the life out of the arena. Workin' Them Angels and the instrumentals were good, though. The Plain of Dharma video clip was awesome.

Hahaha yeah. Heard one S&A song, you've heard them all, although I am partial to Armor & Sword, Workin Them Angels, Spindrift (thank you Alex for saving the song) and Hope.

That's due in part to the setlist of that tour. I find myself being able to watch ALL of Time Machine and Clockwork Angels in one sitting, but I end up skipping so much of Snakes and Arrows live.

I never watched any of the post-ASOH live concert DVDs start to finish. Can't do it. I just skip around to my favorite songs from that particular tour (Marathon, Presto, Secret Touch, ByTor/Cygnus x-1,Mission, Digital Man, MalNar, etc) and skip all the rest that I either don't like (90 percent of the S&A album and Clockwork) or have heard ten zillion times before (Tom Sawyer, Limelight, YYZ, Spirit, 2112, etc)

Edited by jnoble

As much as I love Grace Under Pressure Live, I feel the emotion in Geddy's voice was conveyed better on S&A. Both are excellent performances. Also forgot to mention Secret Touch. That was a good performance as well.

I don't really like GUP live much because it's so dated looking and sounding. I know it was a product of it's time but the hair and the clothes and the tinny mid '80s "no distortion allowed around here mister" sound they had with the electric drums and Geddy's ugly Steinberger bass......yeech! :scared: :eyeroll:

Edited by jnoble

thATS the problem with anything dated. people go by the appearnce rather than the perfromance.

I can appreciate things that may be identified as 'dated' a lot more now than I used to be able to.

I have said for quite awhile that I don't care for the thinner guitar tone that Alex had during the mid '80s, but it was a sign of the times. It fits the music they made at that time very well. (On something like the performance of La Villa Strangiato from A Show of Hands, that thinner tone is a detriment, in my opinion).

I also love hearing the songs from that mid '80s period now, due to the fuller, more testosterone-fueled live sound that they have now, compared to back then.

But I appreciate all of it, for various different reasons.