The most underrated rock group ever

fraroc

and man a lot of these bands are highly highly f***ing rated depending on the circle you're in. I mean, google "best prog metal" or "best prog rock" and you're gonna see stuff like king's x and yes come up immediately.

I guess in the grand scheme of music as a whole, king's x might seem underrated, but everybody who heard that band pretty much agreed that they were really good.

For my money, it's The Black Crowes. Criminally underrated and misunderstood group. So much more than that "Hard to Handle"/"She Talks to Angels" band, and certainly more than a Stones/Faces facsimile, as so many critics dismissed. They made a string of classic and highly unique albums during their peak. Those who haven't followed the group beyond their derivative multiplatinum debut are missing out. Lastly, Marc Ford and Rich Robinson in their prime, together, were unparalleled. Sadly, you'll never see them in any all-time greatest guitarists lists. Alas...

http://www.wrathem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/The+Black+Crowes+Amorica+era+crowes.jpg

Anyway, yeah, I remember Bonham. I like that "Only thing to do, is wait for you" single, from I think their debut. I remember listening to that on a mix tape when I worked a paper route. It was cool at the time, but did it really age that well?

• Like 5

and man a lot of these bands are highly highly f***ing rated depending on the circle you're in. I mean, google "best prog metal" or "best prog rock" and you're gonna see stuff like king's x and yes come up immediately.

I guess in the grand scheme of music as a whole, king's x might seem underrated, but everybody who heard that band pretty much agreed that they were really good.

I guess if you spend too much time getting a musical consensus from your circle it might seem king's x isn't underrated, but in the grand scheme of rock they hardly exist.

Yes isn't underrated though, that's silly to say.

Edited by Mr. Not

I don't know a single person who likes king's x in real life, so I don't think I'm "spending too much time getting musical consensus from my circle." I just don't think king's x is underrated.

This thread was supposed to be about how awesome Bonham is.....but...Okay.

well we've all named way better groups, so you should be thankful

I prefer Kingdome Come over Bonham.. Haha

Edited by Xanadoood

These threads always become "bands I love that don't have hit records but that pretty much everyone has heard of." And, ironically, if they did have a hit record, many of those fans would immediately say it stinks because it's not obscure enough.

"Moving Pictures stinks. Caress of Steel is their best album."

• Like 2

These threads always become "bands I love that don't have hit records but that pretty much everyone has heard of." And, ironically, if they did have a hit record, many of those fans would immediately say it stinks because it's not obscure enough.

"Moving Pictures stinks. Caress of Steel is their best album."

AGREE WITH YOU 100%!

• Like 1

For my money, it's The Black Crowes. Criminally underrated and misunderstood group. So much more than that "Hard to Handle"/"She Talks to Angels" band, and certainly more than a Stones/Faces facsimile, as so many critics dismissed. They made a string of classic and highly unique albums during their peak. Those who haven't followed the group beyond their derivative multiplatinum debut are missing out. Lastly, Marc Ford and Rich Robinson in their prime, together, were unparalleled. Sadly, you'll never see them in any all-time greatest guitarists lists. Alas...

http://www.wrathem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/The+Black+Crowes+Amorica+era+crowes.jpg

Totally agree. Rich Robinson has written some of the best riffs I've ever, ever heard, and you're correct about he and Marc Ford together.

I would also put Chris Robinson in his prime at the top of the heap among all of his peers as a vocalists. Granted, there are many different styles and qualities that make different singers stand out. But put him up against a whole host of soulful, blues/rock wailers, and he slays them all. Paul Rodgers, Robert Plant, Rod Stewart, Steve Marriott...anybody. Chris Robinson tops all of them, in my book.

Their two late-career studio albums- Warpaint (2008) and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze (2009)- are both incredible. The latter is on every desert island list I've ever put together since it came out.

I've seen the Crowes live more than any other band- in excess of four dozen shows, all over the United States, from 1992-2009- and I never saw the same set list performed twice.

They've toured the world so many times over, and just like what apetersvt said in this thread about Gov't Mule- I'm kind of glad that they haven't been bigger. I've seen some of the best shows ever in the small theaters they've played.

• Like 2

John Bonham was an incredible drummer, yes!

;)

No, I know...I saw Bonham live one time when they opened for The Cult. Man, that was 25 years ago this month, actually. I was into them for awhile, but they just didn't have staying power, I guess. I certainly wouldn't call them the most underrated rock group in history. But...

I do want to put in a word about their second (and final?) album, Mad Hatter- the song I remember the most from it is called The Storm. Really, really fantastic.

John Bonham was an incredible drummer, yes!

;)

No, I know...I saw Bonham live one time when they opened for The Cult. Man, that was 25 years ago this month, actually. I was into them for awhile, but they just didn't have staying power, I guess. I certainly wouldn't call them the most underrated rock group in history. But...

I do want to put in a word about their second (and final?) album, Mad Hatter- the song I remember the most from it is called The Storm. Really, really fantastic.

Technically Bonham had three studio albums and a live album. First we have The Disregard Of Timekeeping and Mad Hatter as I pointed out. Then Bonham did a live album called "In The Name Of My Father- The Zep Set" which is them doing a bunch of Led Zeppelin covers, their real final album was When You See The Sun which came out in 1997. It's ok, but not as good as The Disregard and Mad Hatter.

You remember back in 2008 when the MRSA epidemic happened? Sadly, Daniel MacMaster, the lead vocalist was one of the victims...He was only 39 when he died :(

Third Eye Blind

Their first two albums are amazing.

• Like 1

Third Eye Blind

Their first two albums are amazing.

I only have their 1st album but their lead guitarist is underrated. Love that solo in Graduate. That album was basically my soundtrack to 11th grade. Motorcycle Drive By is my favorite on the album. Love great build up anthems like that.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/artists/budgie-20140321161509.jpg

http://www.budgie.uk.com/wp-content/themes/twentyelevenbudgie/images/albums/bestof1997sml.jpg

Many handsome boy bands are underrated, It's not fair!

Weren't they just a Rush wannabe band? That's what I always heard.

i wouldn't say they're a wanna be Rush, but they have a similar early Rush sound. their debut came out 3 years before Rush's did. even though Budgie wasn't very popular, they did influence a lot of musicians.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/artists/budgie-20140321161509.jpg

http://www.budgie.uk.com/wp-content/themes/twentyelevenbudgie/images/albums/bestof1997sml.jpg

Many handsome boy bands are underrated, It's not fair!

Weren't they just a Rush wannabe band? That's what I always heard.

i wouldn't say they're a wanna be Rush, but they have a similar early Rush sound. their debut came out 3 years before Rush's did. even though Budgie wasn't very popular, they did influence a lot of musicians.

I don't know anything about them except what I've heard people say on here.