Getting Rush music at Christmas

circumstantial tree

Two years ago I got Hemispheres and A Night A The Opera on CD for Christmas as well as Rush and Queen guitar picks. I think that's all I've gotten as far as Rush themed gifts for Christmas, having only been a Rush fan since the year I got Hemispheres for Christmas. Although, I did use a fifteen dollar iTunes gift card to buy Caress Of Steel yesterday. In short: Awesome.

...and as if God looked down on my post and saw something horribly wrong with it, my dad just came home with six Rush CDs I don't own, five of which I've never heard. This makes up for the lack of Rush gifts yesterday...big time.

Tell me the names on the albums that you just got!!

In chronological order of release:

Fly By Night

Grace Under Pressure (the one I'd already heard)

Presto

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

All great albums! :)

Great to hear! After reading a lot on this forum, seeing a lot of negativity for some of these, it's great to know not all are so down on some of this stuff.

Make up your own mind. I would be curious to know what you think after you have listened a few times especially given the quality of the ones you already have...

Two years ago I got Hemispheres and A Night A The Opera on CD for Christmas as well as Rush and Queen guitar picks. I think that's all I've gotten as far as Rush themed gifts for Christmas, having only been a Rush fan since the year I got Hemispheres for Christmas. Although, I did use a fifteen dollar iTunes gift card to buy Caress Of Steel yesterday. In short: Awesome.

...and as if God looked down on my post and saw something horribly wrong with it, my dad just came home with six Rush CDs I don't own, five of which I've never heard. This makes up for the lack of Rush gifts yesterday...big time.

Wow, there are six Rush CD's you've never heard? :o

Five, six, seven, eight...and then the live albums aside from Time Machine, CA, and a bit of ATWAS (bad condition, skipping vinyl). I adore Rush, but I don't have a lot of interest in binge listening to a band's entire catalogue once I get into them. They released the albums with space inbetween, and like to pay a bit of respect to that progression. I still think this is awesome though, and now I don't have to spend time hunting down all the Rush albums places don't like to carry. Plus, before yesterday, the last time I got a "new" Rush album was around last Easter with HYF on vinyl. I suppose these make up for lost time as well.

I am a bit envious that there are albums you've never heard. To be able to go back and listen to them all for the first time again would be great.

Patience, my friend, is a blessing. ;)

I don't think I could do it. It was one thing to not be able to listen to a new album because it wasn't out yet, but to have access to them and deliberately not listen to them would be more than I could do.

I think I'll have them all listened to in a month's time. I'm not gonna be THAT patient about it, but it's a good exercise of will.

• Like 1

Tell me the names on the albums that you just got!!

In chronological order of release:

Fly By Night

Grace Under Pressure (the one I'd already heard)

Presto

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

All great albums! :)

Great to hear! After reading a lot on this forum, seeing a lot of negativity for some of these, it's great to know not all are so down on some of this stuff.

Make up your own mind. I would be curious to know what you think after you have listened a few times especially given the quality of the ones you already have...

Oh, I'll definitely be back to post about it. Don't you worry. ;)

• Like 2

My parents gave me this christmas some Rush t-shirts.

The Caress Of Steel one (my favorite Rush album ever, so finally!!! :) )

The R40 one

The Permanent Waves Tour one

The A Farewell To Kings Tour one (already have this one, but wanted one more, so it was good that I got it!)

And last christmas I got all the Sector boxes (two from my parents, one from my brother)!

Right.

I need to get onto playing Rush, FBN and see if they grow. I will read up on them to give me some context and try and pick out the positives.

This thread has too much love going on!

I must be wrong...

Right.

I need to get onto playing Rush, FBN and see if they grow. I will read up on them to give me some context and try and pick out the positives.

I must be wrong...

Nobody is ever "wrong". Remember?...

Right.

I must be wrong...

Everyone knows everything

And no one's ever wrong

Until later

Right.

I must be wrong...

Well, Fly By Night has been stuck in my head today, and having never liked that song before, I actually really enjoyed bouncing the chorus across the corners of my mind!

I disliked By-Tor, loved Rivendell. So lets wait and see...

I used to vehemently hate Vapor Trails. Remember?

Right.

I must be wrong...

Well, Fly By Night has been stuck in my head today, and having never liked that song before, I actually really enjoyed bouncing the chorus across the corners of my mind!

I can actually understand not going ga ga for FBN. Its different for sure. The live versions of the songs are better. Just my opinion...

Right.

I must be wrong...

I can actually understand not going ga ga for FBN. Its different for sure. The live versions of the songs are better. Just my opinion...

My thoughts exactly when playing ATWAS!

Right.

I must be wrong...

What really got me was the particular dislike for By-Tor, which IMO is their first truly amazing song.

• Like 2

Right.

I must be wrong...

What really got me was the particular dislike for By-Tor, which IMO is their first truly amazing song.

Second for me after Anthem, but otherwise agreed

• Like 1

My first Rush album I got for Christmas was Moving Pictures, I played it so much that my mum and brother got very annoyed, my dad's a bit of a Rush head as well but i think he was probably a bit tired of it too. I think AFTK was my second Rush album that next Christmas along with a couple of others :) . That year was when my love of Closer to the heart was born (still one of my favourite songs ever!!).

This year it was Hold Your Fire along with a bunch off other albums from other artists. Listening to Time Stand Still which is an awesome song :D .

• Like 1

By the time I became a really hardcore fan I was old enough to buy my own music with my allowance money (which I augmented with the week's lunch money). I don't remember ever getting Rush for Christmas, but I DO remember that Christmas dinner 1984 was eaten with Grace Under Pressure as background music. Mom had asked me to choose something . . . so I did. :) She was cool enough to let it stay.
  • Like 2

Yeah, it took me awhile to get the whole collection because I wasn't working yet. It usually came from money I asked for or had saved over time, so for many of those Rush releases, I had to rely on Christmas or my birthday in order to get them.

I've been a diehard fan for 33 years, but oddly, Christmas has never held much Rush connection for me. Sure, I've gotten some Rush stuff - but the albums, videos, & CDs I usually got the day of their release (never Xmas) and concert tickets happened at other times. I recall my cool Aunt gifting me an ESL poster (from the Rush Backstage Club) circa 1982. As for when I first got into Rush, that was more of a birthday connection for me. Like the OP, in 1982 I was already a diehard fan - somewhat due to MTV (yes, MTV! ESL and Signals videos - I used to stay up to midnight (hey, I was 12) to watch Exit Stage Left in concert. When P/G was released and the following concert, there were specials. etc. MTV was a big part of my early fandom.) But it was my 13th birthday party, and my friends conspired together and each bough a different album. I recall getting 2112, MP, Signals, PeW, AFTK, FBN, CoS, Rush, ATWAS, ESL - notice Hemispheres was not there. Somehow it escaped me for a year or so - and then - BAM! Hemispheres! (though I knew 2 songs from ESL, the studio versions killed!) By the time, P/G was released, I was waiting in anticipation and taped track "previews" on the local radio station (WPYX 106) that I listened to on my walkman on the school bus - play/rewind/play/rewind/play/rewind (Ha!) Fortunately, I got the LP the day it was released.
  • Like 1

I've been a diehard fan for 33 years, but oddly, Christmas has never held much Rush connection for me. Sure, I've gotten some Rush stuff - but the albums, videos, & CDs I usually got the day of their release (never Xmas) and concert tickets happened at other times. I recall my cool Aunt gifting me an ESL poster (from the Rush Backstage Club) circa 1982. As for when I first got into Rush, that was more of a birthday connection for me. Like the OP, in 1982 I was already a diehard fan - somewhat due to MTV (yes, MTV! ESL and Signals videos - I used to stay up to midnight (hey, I was 12) to watch Exit Stage Left in concert. When P/G was released and the following concert, there were specials. etc. MTV was a big part of my early fandom.) But it was my 13th birthday party, and my friends conspired together and each bough a different album. I recall getting 2112, MP, Signals, PeW, AFTK, FBN, CoS, Rush, ATWAS, ESL - notice Hemispheres was not there. Somehow it escaped me for a year or so - and then - BAM! Hemispheres! (though I knew 2 songs from ESL, the studio versions killed!) By the time, P/G was released, I was waiting in anticipation and taped track "previews" on the local radio station (WPYX 106) that I listened to on my walkman on the school bus - play/rewind/play/rewind/play/rewind (Ha!) Fortunately, I got the LP the day it was released.

Dude, you friends rock!

Will never forget unwrapping the ATWAS and Archives albums on Christmas morning 1982, three weeks after seeing them at Madison Square Garden for the first time. Fantastic times Edited by greg2112
  • Like 1

I've never gotten any Rush music for Christmas (I've always had everything by the time it rolls around.)

I did get that Neil statue one year and I've gotten a few Rush books over the years, but that's been it for Rush as far as Christmas is concerned.