Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

It's the same thing in England every week...high of 40-45, 50% of the time with lots of wind and drizzle. Really hoping it gets up to 60 next month.

Still better than frozen hell in the Midwest. Parents told me it reached 10F today.

Edited by BowlCity

Winter storm QUANTUM!!!!!!

Looks like Freezing Rain tonight and tomorrow, maybe some snow, sleet etc. I should be fishing in a tee shirt and shorts right now

Maybe the North Pole has relocated south... we're going back into the deep freeze here and it sucks!

• Like 1

Looks like Freezing Rain tonight and tomorrow, maybe some snow, sleet etc. I should be fishing in a tee shirt and shorts right now

Maybe the North Pole has relocated south... we're going back into the deep freeze here and it sucks!

Yeah same here, it's supposed to get into the negative numbers again this week. Ugh! It actually got warm enough last night and today for some of the snow to melt on the roof of the house. I think it got up to 33 degrees, which felt like a heat wave.

• Like 2

Yeah same here, it's supposed to get into the negative numbers again this week. Ugh! It actually got warm enough last night and today for some of the snow to melt on the roof of the house. I think it got up to 33 degrees, which felt like a heat wave.

I believe it reached 37 today in Mass. Beach weather!

• Like 1

It's the same thing in England every week...high of 40-45, 50% of the time with lots of wind and drizzle. Really hoping it gets up to 60 next month.

Still better than frozen hell in the Midwest. Parents told me it reached 10F today.

I love English weather, actually. It's my favourite.

It was a brisk seventeen below zero in lovely southwestern Ohio this morning.

• Like 1

Myrtle Beach today has a nasty cold rain/sort of ice and the temp is hovering around 32. They cancelled schools this morning... :wacko:

Myrtle Beach today has a nasty cold rain/sort of ice and the temp is hovering around 32. They cancelled schools this morning... :wacko:

:LOL:

I was going to react the same way, but I decided to refrain. Anyway...we have a lot of school districts around us that have not had a full five-day week since December.

• Like 1

Today it's frickin' cold, the wind is howling and blowing the snow with drifts on the road. On top of that, there was an hour long heavy burst of snow during my afternoon commute home. At times I drove through zero visibility and white out conditions. :moon: :( :boo hiss: It took me twice as long but I made it home safe.

10 days ago I was hoping for the first significant ice/snow event at my place this winter, not wanting to go through the whole winter without at least one such event.

Tonight, such a thing is happening for the 3rd time in the past 9 days.

Been snowing here since about 5pm, wintry wonderland outside. Forecasters were calling for 5-8 inches of snow earlier, but have backed off that a bit, now saying it will amount to 3-5 inches total through the rest of the night. Of course, they might change their minds yet again before it is over.

One thing I find amazing is that on such a night, with the ground and trees all covered in white, is how well one can see at night, even with such cloud cover (it is snowing, after all) that blocks out the moon and stars. It is like the snow itself illuminates the night enough to see by without anything else.

One can walk through a forest at night without any artificial light source at all, quite easily. I did that very thing at about 5 am

tuesday morning, during the snow then (about 1.5 inches that time). It was easy to make out the trees and branches and other things to be avoided amidst the prevailing white.

Good stuff.

I am getting motivated

Edit: I was about to type "I am getting motivated to go for a midnight trek tonight" (under the assumption that the office will be closed, again, tomorrow and so it doesn't matter how late I stay up doing stuff like going for a midnight stroll in the snow in the forest with no flashlight) when the power went off . . . doh . . . was just for a few seconds, then came back on . . . but if the power is already having flickers, this does not bode well for the rest of the night . . . Hmmm . . . perhaps I shoud be getting motivated to start a fire in the fireplace ;)

Edited by Closer to the Heart
  • Like 1

:LOL:

I was going to react the same way, but I decided to refrain. Anyway...we have a lot of school districts around us that have not had a full five-day week since December.

I can understand what you mean, living as you do in a frigid hell hole of a frozen wasteland.

But, this thread is not just about the sufferings of those who choose to live in places where the air hurts their faces 1/4 of the year.

It is about Winter 2014-2015 (northern hemisphere), wherever, (except the southern hemisphere).

Cut us Southern boys some slack. (southern as in the southern part of the northern hemisphere) While you guys are waiting for winter to end its gruesome misery, we are excited about getting snow in depths of more than an inch.

Hey, it is part of our Winter experience this year.

Edited by Closer to the Heart

Okay, I have now had my fill of snow and ice for this winter. It is almost March. Now I am hoping for an early spring ;)

Btw, I managed to slip in the snow and bust my ass the other night while going out on the midnight walk, without even making it all the way to the end of my driveway before doing so (the driveway is on a downward slope, from my house to the lane) . I happened to be holding a totally full large glass of wine in my hand at the time (red wine, a Merlot), and as my feet slipped out from underneath me the wine glass shot up in the air, showering all the surrounding snow with red wine. Undeterred, I laughed, went back inside to refill my glass, and then resumed the walk, this time without a fall or a spill.

The next morning, I saw two of my neighbors looking at the red on the snow. I went out to see them, and reassure them it was just wine and not blood . . . .

Bought 15 bags of black mulch today at only 1.80 (normally about 3.33) a bag. Gonna get a start mulching the beds tomorrow. Get the front done and prettied up anyway in prep for the spring perennials and grass green up. I try to do a bit at a time when the mulch is on sale (Wal Mart, Lowes etc). My house requires between 80 - 100 bags. Supposed to be around 60 tomorrow and possibly 70 by Wednesday.... :D

Bought 15 bags of black mulch today at only 1.80 (normally about 3.33) a bag. Gonna get a start mulching the beds tomorrow. Get the front done and prettied up anyway in prep for the spring perennials and grass green up. I try to do a bit at a time when the mulch is on sale (Wal Mart, Lowes etc). My house requires between 80 - 100 bags. Supposed to be around 60 tomorrow and possibly 70 by Wednesday.... :D

I'm jealous, but I don't envy your summer weather. We've had around 4-5 inches of snow today and it's still coming down. Haven't seen the grass in two months.

I'm jealous, but I don't envy your summer weather. We've had around 4-5 inches of snow today and it's still coming down. Haven't seen the grass in two months.

The summers here as far as heat goes are way overrated. August in DC was way more opressive with heat and humidity than it ever is here. The summer may start a bit sooner and end a bit later but those are the wonderful parts. April, May, September and October are typically awesome months...
  • Like 1

The summers here as far as heat goes are way overrated. August in DC was way more opressive with heat and humidity than it ever is here. The summer may start a bit sooner and end a bit later but those are the wonderful parts. April, May, September and October are typically awesome months...

But don't you have Fire Ants? :)

No more than anyone else does that I am aware of. Been here 15 years and have never encountered any... :huh:

No more than anyone else does that I am aware of. Been here 15 years and have never encountered any... :huh:

I meant down south. We don't have them here. Every time I've been down south I've either stepped in some, or seen them.

Edited by EagleMoon

I meant down south. We don't have them here. Every time I've been down south I've either stepped in some, or seen them.

I wouldn't recommend stepping in them... :scared: :LOL:
  • Like 1

Overall, the winter season in the Chicago area was good. Until February arrived, and sucked so much that it is now officially another crappy winter. Let's just say I am thrilled that it's March 1st, even if we're not out of the woods just yet.