Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

It's a whopping 43° here today. I never complain about the heat. I love the summer. Last summer sucked because we rarely got any temperatures over 75 to 80. I like hot.

I like hot for awhile. I generally have a higher tolerance for the cold. Ten to fifteen years ago it was exactly the opposite, though.

I should have moved to a maritime climate somewhere, I think. :P

It's a whopping 43° here today. I never complain about the heat. I love the summer. Last summer sucked because we rarely got any temperatures over 75 to 80. I like hot.

I like hot for awhile. I generally have a higher tolerance for the cold. Ten to fifteen years ago it was exactly the opposite, though.

I should have moved to a maritime climate somewhere, I think. :P

I used to be a lot more cold sensitive when I was younger.

In a few months, you will all be bitching about the heat! :LOL:

You won't find me complaining about the heat, I love it!! Those complainers would be what my family calls the "honorary Canadians", my husband and son. My son wears shorts in like, January. I guess I got the thin blood in the family! :)

55 and sunny in Ohio. Certainly feeling like spring...

Correction- four hours later, and it's 63 degrees now. :cool:

You guys have any snow left? :)

55 and sunny in Ohio. Certainly feeling like spring...

Correction- four hours later, and it's 63 degrees now. :cool:

You guys have any snow left? :)

Just a tiny little bit, out of the big piles of it that were created when parking lots were plowed and so forth.

• Like 1

Perhaps.

Though I didn't see any reason to complain about the last two summers here -- both unusually cool by local standards (which is a good thing when SC summer is the standard).

However, it is true that my favorite seasons are Spring and Fall. I have far less love for the more extreme seasons of Winter and Summer.

Perhaps.

Though I didn't see any reason to complain about the last two summers here -- both unusually cool by local standards (which is a good thing when SC summer is the standard).

However, it is true that my favorite seasons are Spring and Fall. I have far less love for the more extreme seasons of Winter and Summer.

I don't find the summers here that bad at the beach. Not nearly as bad as folks make them out to be at least anyway. The winters are a pleasure compared to most but as you stated April, May, September and October (and much of November in my view) are great weather months here...

Bought 15 bags of black mulch today at only 1.80 (normally about 3.33) a bag. Gonna get a start mulching the beds tomorrow. Get the front done and prettied up anyway in prep for the spring perennials and grass green up. I try to do a bit at a time when the mulch is on sale (Wal Mart, Lowes etc). My house requires between 80 - 100 bags. Supposed to be around 60 tomorrow and possibly 70 by Wednesday.... :D

I'm jealous, but I don't envy your summer weather. We've had around 4-5 inches of snow today and it's still coming down. Haven't seen the grass in two months.

The summers here as far as heat goes are way overrated. August in DC was way more opressive with heat and humidity than it ever is here. The summer may start a bit sooner and end a bit later but those are the wonderful parts. April, May, September and October are typically awesome months...

You live on the coast. (Myrtle Beach is about as close to the Ocean as a town gets) The ocean has a moderating effect on temps, meaning you have warmer temps than regions further inland typically have in winter, and cooler temps than regions further inland have during summer. This moderating effect of the Ocean on coastal temps is common the world over. Further inland, the temps get more extreme.

Bought 15 bags of black mulch today at only 1.80 (normally about 3.33) a bag. Gonna get a start mulching the beds tomorrow. Get the front done and prettied up anyway in prep for the spring perennials and grass green up. I try to do a bit at a time when the mulch is on sale (Wal Mart, Lowes etc). My house requires between 80 - 100 bags. Supposed to be around 60 tomorrow and possibly 70 by Wednesday.... :D

I'm jealous, but I don't envy your summer weather. We've had around 4-5 inches of snow today and it's still coming down. Haven't seen the grass in two months.

The summers here as far as heat goes are way overrated. August in DC was way more opressive with heat and humidity than it ever is here. The summer may start a bit sooner and end a bit later but those are the wonderful parts. April, May, September and October are typically awesome months...

You live on the coast. (Myrtle Beach is about as close to the Ocean as a town gets) The ocean has a moderating effect on temps, meaning you have warmer temps than regions further inland typically have in winter, and cooler temps than regions further inland have during summer. This moderating effect of the Ocean on coastal temps is common the world over. Further inland, the temps get more extreme.

Does this have anything to do with global climate warming change or has this always been true?... :)

Perhaps.

I don't find the summers here that bad at the beach. Not nearly as bad as folks make them out to be at least anyway. The winters are a pleasure compared to most but as you stated April, May, September and October (and much of November in my view) are great weather months here...

See previous post about moderating effects of the Ocean.

I grew up in an inland county in rural SC, on a farm. Among the farm tasks I did during those days was walking up and down long rows of tobacco (long, as in, huge field long) in the SC summer, breaking off main stems and shoots from the plants, one by one. Suffice to say, that it got so f***ing hot in those open fields under the oppressive sun that nobody in his right mind would think of doing that during midday. So, we did that sort of thing in the early morning, starting right when there was enough sunlight to see by and it was still cool, taking a siesta about 10 or 11 am, and then not resuming that work until late in the afternoon towards evening, when things had cooled down a bit again.

Edited by Closer to the Heart

Does this have anything to do with global climate warming change or has this always been true?... :)

Alawys been true. Been a climate truth forever, apparently.

Just tugging your leg a bit. I do notice on the weather that Columbia for example is generally much hotter than here...

Just tugging your leg a bit. I do notice on the weather that Columbia for example is generally much hotter than here...

I have a friend that lives in Columbia and her summers are miserable.

Downtown Columbia is often a miserable hell hole in the summer. So much summer heat being absorbed by all the concrete and metal and radiated back. Ug.

Glad I don't live there.

Downtown Columbia is often a miserable hell hole in the summer. So much summer heat being absorbed by all the concrete and metal and radiated back. Ug.

Glad I don't live there.

Yeah me too. I've visited during the summer I most of the time it's above 90 and the humidity is about 100%.

Glad I don't live there.

Yeah me too. I've visited during the summer I most of the time it's above 90 and the humidity is about 100%.

Yeah, I neglected to mention the humidity. Kind of take it for granted, having lived in the Carolinas my whole life. But yes, the humidity combined with the heat is what can be especially oppressive about SC summers. Sometimes the air seems so thick that stepping outside of ones house into it feels like a slap in the face with a hot wet towel, repeatedly. So thick I imagine i could almost cut it with a knife . .

Anyway, back to the topic of winter. Here are some cool photos of the scene on the beach at Cape Cod, which looks like the f***ing Artic instead of Massachusetts.

Giant ice chunks washing ashore on Cape Cod

Anthony Watts / 3 days ago March 11, 2015

Just what you’d expect from 3 decades of dangerous global warming

iceberg-cape-cod.jpg?w=720

Chunks of ice washed ashore in Wellfleet (Image from Dapixara Photography)

CBS Boston has published a story with photographs of giant Icebergs washing ashore at Cape Cod, many of them metres thick.

According to CBS Boston;

WBZ-TV Chief Meteorologist Eric Fisher says this could be a “once-in-a-generation” event due to the extraordinary amount of ice on the Massachusetts Bay. Fisher says the ice won’t be around for long.

There have been several remarkable images left from the record-setting winter, including the nearly frozen waves captured off the coast of Nantucket last month.

Meanwhile, the Boston Globe reports:

kreiter_icechunks1_met-0011.jpg?w=720&h=480

The beaches of Cape Cod are taking on an Arctic look, even as the temperature warms.

Months of bitter cold created huge sheets of ice that are now breaking up and washing ashore. In Wellfleet, there are chunks of ice reminiscent of those found in much harsher climates.

I guess nothing says “dangerous global warming” like a frozen ocean, or pictures of giant lumps of ice washing up on American beaches.

h/t IceAgeNow, story submitted by Eric Worrall

Glad I don't live there.

Yeah, I neglected to mention the humidity. Kind of take it for granted, having lived in the Carolinas my whole life. But yes, the humidity combined with the heat is what can be especially oppressive about SC summers. Sometimes the air seems so thick that stepping outside of ones house into it feels like a slap in the face with a hot wet towel, repeatedly. So thick I imagine i could almost cut it with a knife . .

The humidity is high all year round. Winter time makes the cold feel ultra cold. I'll take 20° in Pennsylvania over 40° in the south. It's not that cold that seeps into your bones.

Glad I don't live there.

The humidity is high all year round. Winter time makes the cold feel ultra cold. I'll take 20° in Pennsylvania over 40° in the south. It's not that cold that seeps into your bones.

As a Southerner, I thank you for that acknowledgement that our Winters down here suck too -- in different ways than yours does, but still The Suck. Grrr ..., begone, Winter. I am ready for Spring.

• Like 1

On Monday It's supposed to be 70 and sunny here in lovely southwest Ohio...and then wind and rain and 48 on Tuesday. Even that doesn't say winter, though.

We're a week away from spring, and I'm ready for it. :)

• Like 3

On Monday It's supposed to be 70 and sunny here in lovely southwest Ohio...and then wind and rain and 48 on Tuesday. Even that doesn't say winter, though.

We're a week away from spring, and I'm ready for it. :)

OMG - Me too.

Bring on sunshine and vitamin D :sundog:

• Like 1