Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

Yeah, it finally got cold here in the south yesterday. It was awesome. I almost got frostbite on my fingers unloading in Bristol, VA, yesterday. I love this shit. I wish I was on the trail, hiking. Too bad it will be hotter than f**k down here in just a few more weeks. Ugh. Stay winter, please stay.
  • Like 1

Got about 15 inches last night Into today. Temps are dropping to -10 or so tonight. 4 storms in 4 weekends. I figure we got close to 60 inches total .

Spring can't come soon enough.

Got about 15 inches last night Into today. Temps are dropping to -10 or so tonight. 4 storms in 4 weekends. I figure we got close to 60 inches total .

More than a month away, officially.

Here, looks like Octavia is going to bring the first winter storm of the season, starting tomorrow afternoon. Forecasters can't decide whether it is going to be in the form of snow or ice.

I am looking forward to a snow and/or ice storm shutting things down for a day or two.

That said, I can understand how someone in your position might be sick of it.

Edited by Closer to the Heart

More than a month away, officially.

Here, looks like Octavia is going to bring the first winter storm of the season, starting tomorrow afternoon. Forecasters can't decide whether it is going to be in the form of snow or ice.

I am looking forward to a snow and/or ice storm shutting things down for a day or two.

That said, I can understand how someone in your position might be sick of it.

Right now getting 36 degree heavy rain. I would imagine a few hours north in Oklahoma, they will have snow

Apparently here in Myrtle Beach SC its supposed to be sub 20 degrees overnight Wednesday and Thursday this week. Not something you see around here often. It happens maybe a few times a winter.... Burrrrrr

Apparently here in Myrtle Beach SC its supposed to be sub 20 degrees overnight Wednesday and Thursday this week. Not something you see around here often. It happens maybe a few times a winter.... Burrrrrr

The cold weather for North America is coming over the North Pole from Siberia.... That's what we've been told. It's not Canada's fault.

• Like 2

The cold weather for North America is coming over the North Pole from Siberia.... That's what we've been told. It's not Canada's fault.

Good to know.... :D
  • Like 1

It hit here a while back,

Now its 40 degrees. :D

Edited by troutman

Well, didn't get much snow, but did get and am getting and will continue to get through the night: ICE PELLETS.

Little buggers sound just like rain when they fall. One has to stick ones arm out and watch them bounce off to be sure it is ice and not rain.

Anyway, my driveway and lane and I assume the roads all around are covered in such icy stuff. It actually looks like a covering of snow, but it is not. A covering of ice pellets instead.

I left work early today, having kept an eye on the weather maps and judged it was time to make that long drive around 2pm. Got home, as it turned out, just in time. 30 minutes after I got home, my driveway was covered in it, treacherous as . . . well, ice.

Well below freezing outside, more ice coming down, no work for me tomorrow. I feel like a kid getting a break from school, only I don't have to make the day up! ;)

You are in the warm part of the state, which you know already.

Low here for Thursday morning is predicted to be 6 degrees.

Not often it gets that cold in SC.

Edited by Closer to the Heart

True for sure. Rare here at the beach we get in the high teens. It is definitely something I must prepare for....

True for sure. Rare here at the beach we get in the high teens. It is definitely something I must prepare for....

I just checked again. They are backing off that low prediction. Now calling for a low of 9 degrees instead.

That is cold enough ;)

I just checked again. They are backing off that low prediction. Now calling for a low of 9 degrees instead.

That is cold enough ;)

Have some coffee or something on the porch in your bathrobe and enjoy yourself.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

Btw, the weathermen got it all wrong.

I was following the predictions of temps all day today. Living in SC, I am quite accustomed to being on the borderline in the winter between rain and snow or ice, where just a degree or two difference makes a big difference in what happens, whether we get snow or ice or just another miserable cold winter rain.

Anyway, was watching the weather predictions all throughout the day, starting when I woke up early this morning at 4:30 am. The temp forecasts were all off from what actually happened by several degrees. in the early morning, the forecasts were calling for colder temps than what actually was happening. That totally bummed me out, because I was thinking: "okay, it is actually about 5 degrees warmer right now than what they officially just predicted it would be 5 minutes ago, so . . . , f**k . . . that means their projections were for colder weather than what is actually happening, and being on that borderline range as usual in winters in sc, we are going to get f***ing rain instead of snow or ice. Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, thankfully, the weather forecasters were just as wrong in the afternoon, in the opposite direction, as they had been about the morning. The afternoon and evening temps were and are several degrees COLDER than what had been predicted thus, all the vacation day ice after all.

Right now is an example of what I am talking about.

Right now, the official prediction is for Greenville, SC to be at 33 degrees F at 9 pm (it is 8:43 pm as I type this) and raining. The same weather station that still has this prediction as official has the current temp in Greenville at 27 degrees F, and snowing.

This is not an unsual variation between what is predicted in the weather and what actually happens.

I find it amazing that people can think that 'climate scientists" can predict the weather 50 or 100 years from now, when they can't even get it right in 24 hour context. But, that argument should probably be left for SOCN.

• Like 1

Right now is an example of what I am talking about.

Right now, the official prediction is for Greenville, SC to be at 33 degrees F at 9 pm (it is 8:43 pm as I type this) and raining. The same weather station that still has this prediction as official has the current temp in Greenville at 27 degrees F, and snowing.

This is not an unsual variation between what is predicted in the weather and what actually happens.

I find it amazing that people can think that 'climate scientists" can predict the weather 50 or 100 years from now, when they can't even get it right in 24 hour context. But, that argument should probably be left for SOCN.

Most have no idea. :LOL:

Controlling the weather ain't gonna happen.

• Like 1

Found out earlier this evening that the cold side of my kitchen sink pipe is apparently frozen. Just great. Tried putting a heater next to the open door under the sink, but no luck.

That's one hell of a kick to the Jimmy! :o

Found out earlier this evening that the cold side of my kitchen sink pipe is apparently frozen. Just great. Tried putting a heater next to the open door under the sink, but no luck.

Have you tried hitting it with a hair dryer?

Have you tried hitting it with a hair dryer?

The pipe itself is warm now under the sink, but still nothing, I think it must be frozen down in the wall further.

This morning it was a brisk seven below zero outside, and we got about three inches of snow yesterday- I-75 was actually closed for a couple of miles on the exact route that I travel every day, so I had to find an alternate route, and was late...my windshield washer fluid was frozen, so most of the time needing to run my wiper blades didn't do any good, it just spread the mixture of dirt and salt all over my windshield pretty evenly, so I couldn't see out of any of it... :LOL:

I love winter. But I didn't love that.

Oh, and the forum was down, too. The whole first half of my day was just all discombobulated.

• Like 1