Not many U2 fans here I think ?

toscanobarga

The Edge is a ridiculously overrated guitarist.

Segue,

Just curious (and no disrespect intended), but what do you base that statement on?

How familiar are you with his playing?

I mean, outside of the over saturated hits that get radio play, how well acquainted are you with his studio or live performances that led you to your conclusion?

You need to check out "It Might Get Loud", the documentary with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White.

Again, no disrespect intended.

• Like 1

By the way, I love Tom Waits, but the man has basically released the same type of album for decades. Great storyteller, great artist, but predictable.

This is what Bluefoxy Mickaroo said about Springsteen.

I was a HUGE U2 fan way back when. They are very likely the best live band I have ever seen. But I only like their stuff before 1987, and haven't heard anything since Rattle & Hum (which I hated).

This sounds like me. I love their older stuff. Stuff from about the 90's and on, not so much.

• Like 1

Listening to U2 is like a rainy Monday in Belgium.

It's an "OK" place.... nothing wrong with it.... but your heart really wants to be somewhere else. :D

Segue,

Just curious (and no disrespect intended), but what do you base that statement on?

I mean, outside of the over saturated hits that get radio play, how well acquainted are you with his studio or live performances that led you to your conclusion?

You need to check out "It Might Get Loud", the documentary with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White.

It's tough to deny the distinctiveness of the sound that Edge developed, or its influence. I'm not sure he's rated that highly either, which makes it tough for me to consider him overrated.
  • Like 1

Segue,

In this case, just my own personal opinion. Like Slash, I hear all the technical skills, but I am not moved.

But take that as you will! Flawed, but my take on it!

Edge may not be in the same technical class as say Jeff Beck or a million other shredders and guitar wankery components, but where he has been a LOT more successful is in actually using his abilities to create songs people want to buy. Eddie Van Halen would have been just another shredder if he couldn't write some catchy tunes.

So guitar purists can have their Jeff Becks, I'll go with a guy can both play to some degree and can write songs.

• Like 1

Segue,

In this case, just my own personal opinion. Like Slash, I hear all the technical skills, but I am not moved.

But take that as you will! Flawed, but my take on it!

The Edge is not top rated guitarist in my opinion or rated that high. Yes his music gets plenty of radio play but to say he's overrated in possibly in the class of a Joe Satriani is to me a bit far fetched.

I like the fact about him he's able to within his band to do multiple things (like Geddy) such play piano, sing not a bad voice and play bass which he sometimes switches out his band mate. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he could play drums also along with help in writing music and lyrics in his band.

I think of him as muti talented musician rather than a overrated guitarist I'll take that any day.

Edited by g under p
  • Like 1

I'm a U2 virgin and one of my buddies just invited me to see them here in May. Well, I have to go. They haven't put out a good album since "The Joshua Tree" but fukk it. I must see them at least once.

I'm sure I will complain. I want to hear "New Year's Day" and "The Unforgettable Fire." "A Sort Of Homecoming" would be nice too. I want to hear "Electric Company." I want to hear "Party Girl."

I'm sure I'm shit out of luck.

I'm a U2 virgin and one of my buddies just invited me to see them here in May. Well, I have to go. They haven't put out a good album since "The Joshua Tree" but fukk it. I must see them at least once.

I'm sure I will complain. I want to hear "New Year's Day" and "The Unforgettable Fire." "A Sort Of Homecoming" would be nice too. I want to hear "Electric Company." I want to hear "Party Girl."

Earl,

You really are in for a treat.

U2 definitely know how to put on a rock and roll show.

I hope you have a great time at the show.

I really wish I could have seen them perform "Treasure (What Ever Happened to Pete the Chop)" or "Like a Song," my two favourite songs of theirs. But all the times I saw them during the 80s they never played those songs :(

I really wish I could have seen them perform "Treasure (What Ever Happened to Pete the Chop)" or "Like a Song," my two favourite songs of theirs. But all the times I saw them during the 80s they never played those songs :(

Yeah that sucks. Then never seem to play the fan favorites. "Party Girl" live on "Under A Blood Red Sky" is the best!!!!!! A trampoline do you know what I mean?

Yeah that sucks. Then never seem to play the fan favorites. "Party Girl" live on "Under A Blood Red Sky" is the best!!!!!! A trampoline do you know what I mean?

I know a boy, a boy called Trash

Trash Can

I know he does all that he can

Wham Bam

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

Trash Can

Wham Bam

Hahaha! Excellent!

This is what his elbow looks like and its unreal this all happened from a bicycle accident in Central Park.

http://cdn.u2.com/images/news/b/batoz_x.jpg

The singer suffered numerous serious injuries, including a "facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye," three separate fractures of his left shoulder blade and a fracture of his left humerus bone in his upper arm. The latter injury was particularly damaging, with the bone shattering in six different places and tearing through his skin.

Yowch! :o

Trash Can

Wham Bam

Hahaha! Excellent!

The haven't played Party Girl since the 360 tour and that was only two shows in the first leg.

New songs:California (There Is No End To Love), Cedarwood Road, Every Breaking Wave (full band and acoustic versions), Invisible, Iris (Hold Me Close), The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone), Ordinary Love, Raised By Wolves, Song For Someone, The Troubles, Volcano.

Old songs: Bad, Beautiful Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, City Of Blinding Lights, Desire, Elevation, Even Better Than The Real Thing, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, I Will Follow, Magnificent, Miracle Drug, Mysterious Ways, One, One Step Closer, Out Of Control, Playboy Mansion, Pride, Running To Stand Still, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Electric Co., Until The End Of The World, Where The Streets Have No Name, and With Or Without You.

Those are the songs that they have been rehearsing so far. Not trying to spoil for you, just letting you know what you might be expecting when you see them. :)

not a fan :dweez:

I can understand this you metal maniac!

Every album after "Joshua Tree" is shit.

Dude! (I never "dude" anyone so you know I'm serious), I'm no U2 apologist but after years of resisting I had to give in to the awesomeness that is Achtung Baby. That album kicks *ss. I was a big early U2 fan that gave up on them with Rattle and Hum but finally had to admit that Achtung Baby wasn't just great, but is arguably their best album. Check it out with an open mind sometime. Eventually worked for me. That to me is their last great album. After that it's a song here and there, just like their dopplegangers REM, who made their last great album, and again, arguably their best, with Automatic for the People. Both released in '91 I believe. That was a very good year. Also saw Nevermind, Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque, MBV's Loveless, and Pixies' Trompe Le Monde. I'll drink to that.

Edited by Rutlefan