New to Rush: which album??

1000ml

Just listen to the albums and decide for yourself. Maybe you'll enjoy them. Some people have been turned onto Rush because of these albums. Listen and decide for yourself. Some of the people here are very negative. When I got into Rush some of these albums were the first I listened to (this was before I was exposed to internet negativity). Part of getting into Rush is exploring all of their work and discovering all of their stylistic changes. So just listen and take from these albums what you will. There is some very good music there. Discover for yourself and know the best is yet to come. Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 3

I can't imagine listening to the same 4-5 songs for a month. :beathorse:

It tells you to only listen to a few songs from Chronicles and other albums? What idiot wrote this thing? I must've listened to about 8 Rush albums in my first month or two. Listen to the whole damn album. Is there a way to get this "guide" deleted?

Hmmm. I can edit it...

Edited by savagegrace26

I totally don't agree with a lot of this, but I've got to admit, it sounds pretty fool-proof. Me likey :P

I totally don't agree with a lot of this, but I've got to admit, it sounds pretty fool-proof. Me likey :P

Maybe. But i suggest to skip step 9. That in itself may turn someone off of Rush if done too soon.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

I was riding with a co-worker into work and he was playing Rush. I asked what music this was and he said Rush. I don't know what songs or album it was, but I really liked it. I went by my local used CD store and bought "Test for Echo" "Vapor Trails" "Roll Them Bones" and "Presto." Where should I start with these?

Roll the Bones is not very good. But in my opinion, Presto, Test for Echo and Vapor Trails are very good! Vapor Trails has bad sound though. People complain Presto is thin sounding. But you need to go and watch Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage. Also remember this, 74- Zeppelin style, 1975-1981 Proggy, hard rock. 1982-1989 is their Synth era (my favorite). 1991- present is their return to their roots period. Their newest album is a masterpiece also. Welcome to the Forum! :)

Edited by Pars123
  • Like 1

I'm surprised after all these responses that no one has said this yet, but I would highly recommend starting with the debut album and working your way chronologically through Rush's history. If you;re an astute listener, you will understand and appreciate how RUSH evolved from one album to the next. Be forewarned though, that the debut album is considerably different from the the rest of the library, but aside from that I think you will notice how each album is similar in a bridge-like way to the album before and after it chronologically. I think this is especially true from Fly By Night up through Moving Pictures. Anyway, that is my two-cents worth and i think it would be a lot of fun for you if you are so inclined to go this route. Regardless, I say welcome to RUSH fandom, and i hope you realize that you once you take this plunge you will never look at music the same way again…

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

• Like 4

Vapor Trails is probably the best out of the three in my opinion. But play them all and see which ones you like.
  • Like 1

I started with 2112 just a couple of months ago and was hooked solely through that. I am working my way slowly (as is my normal pattern) through more albums as I go along. I am pretty sure I own most of the catalog and having a fun little discovery journey :D.
  • Like 1

I think most of us discovered the Rush catalog our own way at our own pace. No reason to tell someone what they should or shouldn't listen to or in what order or to tell them to thow it in the grabage. The discovery phase of Rush music was great for me and each album was intriguing in it's own way. Listen to them all. Pay no attention to the grumpy old men. Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

you want to stick your JARGS and your Narpskis. Zumbis, Lens and Pips are also excellent. you pretty much can't go wrong with anyone on this board unless they're named after pasta.. ;)

welcome to TRF 1000ml!

hmm, 1000ml. sounds like your glass is half full, just what we need around here! ;)

more to the topic, Rush music is so diverse that it's impossible for someone to advise you on what's best because all you're going to hear is someone else's favorite material which you may not identify with. the best advise I can give is to sample everything but start with the hits and if you want to eventually hear it all it might be fun to go in chronological order to see how the band has developed over the decades..

another weird phenomena about Rush music is that a song often takes a few listens before you can fully appreciate it, have fun!

• Like 1

I'd recommend starting with 2112, then move up through kings, hemispheres and permanent waves and MP. Then i'd go back check out fly by night and caress of steel before hitting signals, grace under pressure and so on...

At some point later on in process i'd check out the first album, but maybe not before understanding what rush all about with neil.

I was riding with a co-worker into work and he was playing Rush. I asked what music this was and he said Rush. I don't know what songs or album it was, but I really liked it. I went by my local used CD store and bought "Test for Echo" "Vapor Trails" "Roll Them Bones" and "Presto." Where should I start with these?

Have you ever tenderised meat? If so you know how much better it tastes. Use the same principle for listening to and appreciating these albums.

That is, take a hammer type object (or your boot) and literally pulverise the CDs until they are fit for public consumption. That's what Rush should have done.

Just do what I did. Go into a store look at the album covers and the song names and pick the album that looks the most interesting to you. That's what I did (and probably why I bought Hemispheres last - that cover isn't very attractive).

No reason to tell someone what they should or shouldn't listen to or in what order or to tell them to thow it in the grabage.

Just get the Chronicles 2-cd set and go from there.

Oh how I love unintended irony!

• Like 2

No reason to tell someone what they should or shouldn't listen to or in what order or to tell them to thow it in the grabage.

:LOL:

:LOL:

You're aware that you're laughing at a grumpy old man, right? ;)

Edited by JARG

It depends what type of music you like. If you like fairly straightforward hard rock, start with Rush or Fly By Night. If you like long conceptually pieces, start with Hemispheres or 2112. If you like classic rock with a bit more going on in it, start with Moving Pictures and then move to Permanent Waves. If you like synth-rock, start with Signals. If you like adult contemporary pop rock, start with Hold Your Fire. If you like pop rock, start with Roll the Bones. If you like modern loud rock (including production), start with Vapor Trails (but get Remixed, not the original) or Clockwork Angels. If you like absolute shit, start with Counterparts. (sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm surprised after all these responses that no one has said this yet, but I would highly recommend starting with the debut album and working your way chronologically through Rush's history. If you;re an astute listener, you will understand and appreciate how RUSH evolved from one album to the next. Be forewarned though, that the debut album is considerably different from the the rest of the library, but aside from that I think you will notice how each album is similar in a bridge-like way to the album before and after it chronologically. I think this is especially true from Fly By Night up through Moving Pictures. Anyway, that is my two-cents worth and i think it would be a lot of fun for you if you are so inclined to go this route. Regardless, I say welcome to RUSH fandom, and i hope you realize that you once you take this plunge you will never look at music the same way again…

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

That's a very expensive way to go...I'd get Chronicles and listen that way and see what sticks out and buy those albums. By that point, you'll have a good idea about their broader career and what sounds attract you more than others.

I would probably recommend getting Retrospectives I and II, that will give you a good idea of what the 70s and 80s were like, respectively. From there you can decide which era interests you more and you can further explore it. Honestly though, I started with A Farewell to Kings and I think that's a perfect intro to the awesomeness of Rush. They have a lot of music to go through, so good luck!

I'll recommend against getting any of the anthologies as I predict you'll come to really like Rush and eventually you'll buy it all, making the anthologies pointless unless you are an absolute completist. Also, despite writing many great songs that can stand on their own, Rush is really an Album Oriented Rock band at heart, not a singles band, and their songs are best appreciated among their album mates.

I had earlier recommended starting with Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure, and going from there, but I've come to really like the idea of starting with 2112 and moving through the catalog chronologically. Include All the World's a Stage as it captures the early material perfectly, especially the essential stuff on Rush and Fly By Night. Eventually you'll get around to Caress of Steel as that has a lot of worthwhile stuff not found on All the World's a Stage.

If you start with 2112 and move one by one, you will enjoy one h*ll of a musical adventure. I kind of wish I could wipe the Rush-storing part of my brain clean and do that myself.

• Like 1

I like that they said to start with Chronicles but to get All The World's A Stage after that? It's a great live album but I would never recommend a live album to someone who is just getting into a band. I feel it's always better to know what the studio version of a song sounds like before you hear it live.

Fu** that!!,

It would be ATWAS in my book. :haz: :rush:

I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for that gem. :codger: :cool:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 3