Robin Williams has died of apparent suicide.

ReRushed

AND how in the hell can you have all the riches and glory and live in Marin County, CA and be depressed? I don't get it. Somebody PM me and explain how he could possibly be depressed.

Depression doesn't work that way.

It doesn't discriminate - "from the penthouse to the alleyway". I have too much close experience with it, sadly. The brain is just another organ, and like the heart, the liver, the stomach, whatever - it can be affected by chronic conditions. Williams had sought treatment and no doubt had some of the best doctors working with him. But in the end it is a condition that is still poorly understood.

• Like 1

It is a tragic circumstance in that he brought laughter and joy (and some form of escape from reality) to millions upon millions of people- and inside, he was so depressed and painfully alone- to the point of suicide, apparently.

If that isn't tragic, I don't know what is.

• Like 1

God Bless You Robin!

One of his quotes.......

"I used to think the worse thing in life

was to end up alone, it's not.

The worse thing in life is to end up with people

that make you feel alone."

This is so very true.

AND how in the hell can you have all the riches and glory and live in Marin County, CA and be depressed? I don't get it. Somebody PM me and explain how he could possibly be depressed.

It doesn't discriminate - "from the penthouse to the alleyway". I have too much close experience with it, sadly. The brain is just another organ, and like the heart, the liver, the stomach, whatever - it can be affected by chronic conditions. Williams had sought treatment and no doubt had some of the best doctors working with him. But in the end it is a condition that is still poorly understood.

I have empathy and will be glad to learn more concerning the condition.

I spent my entire teenage years in a depression.....and i feel for anyone who has ever gone through it. It's worse then any physical pain you could ever feel. Just hating myself every day. Some people just can't deal. and it's said. I still have my bouts to this day.

Mick

My wife is officially on her dead celebrity, non-stop news about dead celebrity, what is every other celebrity tweeting, kick, and I'm already sick of it.

He wasn't even close to be funny. Like so many others, he was lucky to have made a living off of what the Hollywood pioneers has built. Hollywood makes these stupid movies and calls them "comedies" and builds up these so-called "comedians," so people figure they have to laugh because Hollywood told them to.

Well he wasn't funny and I didn't laugh.

You are so ignorant.

Depression is complex, different from person to person. It is an illness. I am a very happy person suffering from very painful mental problems. Do I have reasons to be as ill as I am? Yes and no.

As for his success, I was about four when I first saw Aladdin. Hooked me onto his sense of humour. I grew up loving his style, his gentle warmth, and zany humour.

In real life, I too am known for a zany, upbeat and partycentric lifestyle. But behind closed doors, I am a mess, and my nearest and dearest know it only too well. I can easily imagine Robin Williams being the same.

A man just died. How dare anyone roll their eyes. And you are also ignorant of other peoples tastes. You speak as an elitist, when the fact his films are adored by many makes it clear enough that people love him, and yet you insist you are absolutely right and the rest of us are brainwashed.

Shut up, I don't care how rude I sound, but these comments anger me so much!

• Like 8

My wife is officially on her dead celebrity, non-stop news about dead celebrity, what is every other celebrity tweeting, kick, and I'm already sick of it.

He wasn't even close to be funny. Like so many others, he was lucky to have made a living off of what the Hollywood pioneers has built. Hollywood makes these stupid movies and calls them "comedies" and builds up these so-called "comedians," so people figure they have to laugh because Hollywood told them to.

You are so ignorant.

Depression is complex, different from person to person. It is an illness. I am a very happy person suffering from very painful mental problems. Do I have reasons to be as ill as I am? Yes and no.

As for his success, I was about four when I first saw Aladdin. Hooked me onto his sense of humour. I grew up loving his style, his gentle warmth, and zany humour.

In real life, I too am known for a zany, upbeat and partycentric lifestyle. But behind closed doors, I am a mess, and my nearest and dearest know it only too well. I can easily imagine Robin Williams being the same.

A man just died. How dare anyone roll their eyes. And you are also ignorant of other peoples tastes. You speak as an elitist, when the fact his films are adored by many makes it clear enough that people love him, and yet you insist you are absolutely right and the rest of us are brainwashed.

I asked a simple question, asked for an explanation, and told everyone that I had empathy and was willing to listen. What more do you want? And calling me ignorant is not an insult. That means I don't have any knowledge of the subject. Which gets us back to square 1: I said I had empathy, was willing to listen, and asked for an explanation.

You are so ignorant.

I asked a simple question, asked for an explanation, and told everyone that I had empathy and was willing to listen. What more do you want? And calling me ignorant is not an insult. That means I don't have any knowledge of the subject. Which gets us back to square 1: I said I had empathy, was willing to listen, and asked for an explanation.

Aiken I think the second paragraph was more the issue. I know its just your opinion that he wasn't funny but it comes across a little rough. I too am ignorant to many things and have learned a few things since being on this forum about depression. I kind of get it now but you are correct about being ignorant. It isn't an insult just a point of fact..... Edited by Narpski

You are so ignorant.

Fair points. But no where can I find a quote where you show empathy. Its ridiculous how easy it is to read something the wrong way!

Silly Segue.

You are so ignorant.

Fair points. But no where can I find a quote where you show empathy. Its ridiculous how easy it is to read something the wrong way!

Silly Segue.

Post # 54 Segue.....

I’ve also had personal experience with depression, and I can tell you there’s nothing worse. I think its cruelest symptom is the death of all hope. You felt terrible during every moment of today, as you did yesterday and the day before, and you know you’re going to continue to feel this way tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. You see no end to your suffering, no hope that your emotional pain will EVER go away. There are many times you feel you cannot tolerate another SECOND of it, yet you know you have hours, weeks, and months of this feeling ahead, perhaps even a LIFETIME of it. If you can’t understand why someone would commit suicide in that state, then I failed to explain it.

Too many times our society uses “depressed” and “sad” interchangeably, and they are so NOT the same thing. As a result of this mix-up of terms, “depressed” has become an insufficient word to describe the severity and totality of this awful emotional state. Fools think sufferers can just “snap out of it.” They can’t, and it doesn’t matter how much money, fame, or love the person has. A personal anecdote: several times I tried renting a movie to “make myself feel better,” but this was a futile task. Things which were dark and sad made my feelings worse, naturally, but so did so-called “happy” things. No comedic movie or time spent with loved ones cheered me; they were just reminders that I SHOULD be happy but I wasn’t… and that’s depressing, so right back to the “no hope for the future” feeling. Besides, “happiness” is an illusion and the “happy people” around you are just delusional, see? You actually believe this unrelentingly dark outlook you have is the world as it REALLY is, and anyone who sees it differently is just kidding themselves.

The first step towards recovery is believing that recovery is possible: there IS hope, and you won’t always feel like you did this month or this year. It can be so hard to see any hope, though.

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 7

This morning I watched World's Greatest Dad. Wow.

I had a difficult time separating the real Robin Williams and his problems and struggles with the character he was playing.

I can't help but think Robin Williams' work will now resonate in ways other than, "Thanks for making me laugh."

• Like 1

That is an EXCELLENT explanation, GR. The only thing I'd add to that is that someone with suicidal ideations begins to believe that everyone - friends, family, even people they work with - are much better off without. And no amount of trying to convince them otherwise is going to work, not long term. Believe me, I tried and tried with my sister. Who, in fact, was wealthy by most standards and very much loved by her husband and family. She did need a kidney/pancreas transplant but was already on the list. She succeeded in killing herself on her second attempt.

I myself have been in that dark, dark place. I never ever want to go there again. The torment Williams must have felt is beyond my comprehension.

Edited by Mara

I can't help but think Robin Williams' work will now resonate in ways other than, "Thanks for making me laugh."

I think, for me, it always did. Yes, he's hysterical, and his "Live at the Met" special from the 80s was the funniest thing I'd seen up to that point, but he's a Julliard-trained dramatic actor who's been seriously underrated. He should've won the Oscar for "Awakenings" (even alongside the stellar performance by DeNiro), but he wasn't even nominated. He resonates for me because I look at this string of roles he chose - in "Garp," "Fisher King," "Dead Poets Society," "Awakenings," etc. - and see an over-arching message, a message similar to many of Neil's lyrics: You only get one crack at this, so make it extraordinary. Live in the moment, and with passion. Experience it all, and pay attention. Remember how it all feels. His body of work, until the past decade, was all so life-affirming... and that's why I couldn't believe his death was a suicide. But as someone said earlier in this thread, he wore masks well and his manic comedic style was probably a defense mechanism against really FEELING. When you see interviews with him, even ostensibly "serious" ones, he can only take so much of talking about REAL FEELINGS before he reflexively goes into manic mode. The Inside the Actor's Studio appearance is a great example: the first half was serious, and then you couldn't turn off the hyper clown. If we didn't know it then, we know it now: he was actually a "crying-on-the-inside" clown all this time. Edited by GeddyRulz

I’ve also had personal experience with depression, and I can tell you there’s nothing worse. I think its cruelest symptom is the death of all hope. You felt terrible during every moment of today, as you did yesterday and the day before, and you know you’re going to continue to feel this way tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. You see no end to your suffering, no hope that your emotional pain will EVER go away. There are many times you feel you cannot tolerate another SECOND of it, yet you know you have hours, weeks, and months of this feeling ahead, perhaps even a LIFETIME of it. If you can’t understand why someone would commit suicide in that state, then I failed to explain it.

Too many times our society uses “depressed” and “sad” interchangeably, and they are so NOT the same thing. As a result of this mix-up of terms, “depressed” has become an insufficient word to describe the severity and totality of this awful emotional state. Fools think sufferers can just “snap out of it.” They can’t, and it doesn’t matter how much money, fame, or love the person has. A personal anecdote: several times I tried renting a movie to “make myself feel better,” but this was a futile task. Things which were dark and sad made my feelings worse, naturally, but so did so-called “happy” things. No comedic movie or time spent with loved ones cheered me; they were just reminders that I SHOULD be happy but I wasn’t… and that’s depressing, so right back to the “no hope for the future” feeling. Besides, “happiness” is an illusion and the “happy people” around you are just delusional, see? You actually believe this unrelentingly dark outlook you have is the world as it REALLY is, and anyone who sees it differently is just kidding themselves.

The first step towards recovery is believing that recovery is possible: there IS hope, and you won’t always feel like you did this month or this year. It can be so hard to see any hope, though.

Very, very good posting!

I nearly cried reading this. Thank you.

It pains me to think what this poor man went through. And to think the whole world knew his name...

...I think I am going to watch one of his films...

• Like 1

I think, for me, it always did. Yes, he's hysterical, and his "Live at the Met" special from the 80s was the funniest thing I'd seen up to that point, but he's a Julliard-trained dramatic actor who's been seriously underrated. He should've won the Oscar for "Awakenings" (even alongside the stellar performance by DeNiro), but he wasn't even nominated. He resonates for me because I look at this string of roles he chose - in "Garp," "Fisher King," "Dead Poets Society," "Awakenings," etc. - and see an over-arching message, a message similar to many of Neil's lyrics: You only get one crack at this, so make it extraordinary. Live in the moment, and with passion. Experience it all, and pay attention. Remember how it all feels. His body of work, until the past decade, was all so life-affirming... and that's why I couldn't believe his death was a suicide. But as someone said earlier in this thread, he wore masks well and his manic comedic style was probably a defense mechanism against really FEELING. When you see interviews with him, even ostensibly "serious" ones, he can only take so much of talking about REAL FEELINGS before he reflexively goes into manic mode. The Inside the Actor's Studio appearance is a great example: the first half was serious, and then you couldn't turn off the hyper clown. If we didn't know it then, we know it now: he was actually a "crying-on-the-inside" clown all this time.

I agree. Robin Williams, before his death, was an actor of great talent and range. He obviously chose roles with depth that dealt with life in a serious way, but he underlined them with a life-affirming spirit. So have plenty of actors. But, his demons won and the only way out of the pain was suicide. I can't imagine the struggle he maintained through out his life. Now, his body of work will be underlined by his death, much like John Lennon's body of work is underlined by his murder. No longer are they a comedian/actor or singer/songwriter. They are much more.

• Like 1

I heard he had money problems and the only reason he did the Crazy Ones was for the money. Surely he made enough money over the years to have a fortune?

I read between his generosity and two divorces he didn't have much left or so his depression led him to believe.

Imagine how hard it would be for someone with depression have to be funny all the time in public. I'm sure the comedy was a mask for him but how it must have been torture at times when he was feeling horrible inside to have to be funny for the camera. Edited by EagleMoon