• Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels
    • Stick pins in Pound Of Obscure's eyes

I also think I read somewhere that the counterparts tour was very short because they were getting tired of the whole circus. That might have been the time when they seriously entertained the idea of giving it up . . . glad they didn't!

Okay, I actually chose an album and voted. AFTK gets my love.

:rose: :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I also think I read somewhere that the counterparts tour was very short because they were getting tired of the whole circus. That might have been the time when they seriously entertained the idea of giving it up . . . glad they didn't!

I got the tour wrong too I guess, but the main message I know for a fact I read. My brain isn't that far gone yet.

I hate to see A Farewell To Kings with only three votes.

I know. How about CoS and 2112 with one each while HYF has three!

Hey, who deleted their Hemispheres vote?!

Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows having no votes is saddening (and surprising) too.

While all three are great albums we are talking about the top of the top! Best of the best.

BTW, acceptable answers are:

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Of their studio albums I just can't see an argument for any others.

Then why didn't you make those the choices?

:o Purgatory has a library? That's good to know.

Yep, but you can't check out anything pre-Moving Pictures in the A/V section. You CAN check out a cassette copy of "You Bet Your Life" with NO return date specified. It IS purgatory after all.

"I would gladly erase some of our past works from the Great Blackboard of Time if it were possible."

—Neil Peart

• Like 2

Yep, but you can't check out anything pre-Moving Pictures in the A/V section. You CAN check out a cassette copy of "You Bet Your Life" with NO return date specified. It IS purgatory after all.

"I would gladly erase some of our past works from the Great Blackboard of Time if it were possible."

—Neil Peart

Just when I am ready to give up on you...... :LOL:

—Neil Peart

Neil... :facepalm: Where do you find these horrible quotes of his?

I agree. My goodness...CA is so far from being the best album of the last ten years, never mind the best Rush album, period!

:no:

I know I picked HYF, but I am already thinking that was a mistake..

:yes:

• Like 3

I agree. My goodness...CA is so far from being the best album of the last ten years, never mind the best Rush album, period!

:no:

I know I picked HYF, but I am already thinking that was a mistake..

:yes:

I wasn't aware crack made it to England. Guess it did

• Like 1

I had to go with Hemispheres! Probably my most played album to date!

It took me some time when I knew I was sending one to get autographed, I first thought AWTAS...but didn't want to potentially lose my first ever Rush album...so I decided to go with one of my my favorite studio albums, and it was a toss up between Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves..(I thought Hemispheres would look best in a frame on the wall....so)

• Like 1

I got the tour wrong too I guess, but the main message I know for a fact I read. My brain isn't that far gone yet.

I trust your brain more than my own. I trust most people's brains more than my own.

I think that was after the HYF tour. I remember reading somewhere that they were very tired afterwards, not least because of the sickness that had plagued them that tour, but also because of how busy the band needed to be on stage to reproduce the material of the previous two albums. Luckily, the Presto tour turned that around, but they were seriously considering giving up touring and staying in the studio at that point. Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

Counterparts, Rush's 1993 album, ended an era. An era that needed ending. Both critics and fans greeted it, as they had Roll The Bones, with yawning interest -- alt-rock was at its zenith moment and Rush was never a very alt-band. The band knew something was up.

"It had been a tough couple of years in terms of the band," Geddy Lee says. "Counterparts was not what I'd consider to be a tension-free record. There was a lot of pressure."

Pressure from the label, who wanted a chart-topper. Pressure from fans unhappy with Neil's dabbling in relationship-based song writing. And, internal pressure, too.

Soon after the Counterparts tour, the rumors started flying. Rush were on hiatus. Atlantic was dropping Rush. Rush were breaking up. Rush were going to sue anybody connected with the Working Man tribute album.

"I can't talk for the other guys," Geddy says in 1996, "but it sure helped me. It really helped me a lot. I was tired, in need of some kind of change of life. I had that whole domestic thing. You know, I think everybody needs some change, to do something else."

Band members hardly saw each other. "We have very different lives now," Geddy admits. "His (Alex's) kids are getting ready to move out of the house. It's a different world, but we try to keep in contact.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/bassics-06.1997.php

I can see why they would like Clockwork Angels. But I wonder what it is about Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures that is so special to them.

1396830944990s.jpg

Well, Permanent Waves and Caress of Steel are my favorites. I think that's the line that most people are voting along.

I voted Moving Pictures as their best album, simply because it is. They were at the top of their game making that one. They struck a perfect balance of over the top musicianship packaged into well-crafted, accessible songs. It's perfectly produced. Every instrument shines yet maintains a sonic balance throughout. And Geddy's voice is spot on. Top this all off with perfect cover and sleeve art.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Moving_Pictures.jpg

http://www.vinylrecords.ch/R/RU/rush/rush-moving-pictures-2813.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 4

Gees,

It's only music. I am so glad I was born to enjoy what ever song, album at any givin' time. I am moody when it comes to music.It can change at any time. I can never settle on who, what are the best at any thing regardless if it is music, sports,art, food, ect. We all have our likes and dislikes in life. Thats what makes us all unique in our own special way. Most of it is because of the time we were born. Anyway, I am off to work.

Have a great day All! :rush:

Only music??!! ONLY music???!!! Only MUSIC??!!! Rush is the "soundtrack to my LIFE!"

Among other bands that are also part of the soundtrack to my life.

Good for you,

Thank goodness not mine. :LOL:

Gees,

It's only music. I am so glad I was born to enjoy what ever song, album at any givin' time. I am moody when it comes to music.It can change at any time. I can never settle on who, what are the best at any thing regardless if it is music, sports,art, food, ect. We all have our likes and dislikes in life. Thats what makes us all unique in our own special way. Most of it is because of the time we were born. Anyway, I am off to work.

Only music??!! ONLY music???!!! Only MUSIC??!!! Rush is the "soundtrack to my LIFE!"

Good for you,

My life is a soundtrack were i am the musical director. I got many more things than Rush.

• Like 2

Gees,

Good for you,

My life is a soundtrack were i am the musical director. I got many more things than Rush.

No sh**! :ebert:

They are my favorite band. But I need variety. Like I posted before, I am moody when it comes to music. :cheers:

I hate to see A Farewell To Kings with only three votes.

I know. How about CoS and 2112 with one each while HYF has three!

Hey, who deleted their Hemispheres vote?!

Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows having no votes is saddening (and surprising) too.

While all three are great albums we are talking about the top of the top! Best of the best.

BTW, acceptable answers are:

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Of their studio albums I just can't see an argument for any others.

Then why didn't you make those the choices?

You can vote for any studio album, you would just be wrong for doing so. Haha

I wanted to include all of them. Plus, I'm sure plenty of people will do this now as a joke, but I made a comment in another thread that I would be surprised if more than 2-3 people think Presto is Rush's top album and someone (I forget who) told me I would be surprised, that a lot of people would think that.

At this point there are zero votes... as I suspected.

Gees,

Good for you,

They are my favorite band. But I need variety. Like I posted before, I am moody when it comes to music. :cheers:

"Rush IS variety!" - Trailer Park Boys

• Like 2

I confess to deleting my Hemispheres vote and going with A Farewell to Kings. It was done after a lot of careful consideration, and it has nothing to do with anyone's influence, even the influence of a certain member who loves Xanadu.

Totally acceptable. A Farewell To Kings is a glorious album. All is forgiven.

Gees,

Good for you,

"Rush IS variety!" - Trailer Park Boys

Roll the Bones...now that's variety. I'm glad they don't look back