Narp, how goes the delve into the later career?

The Analog Cub

I just finished listening to Hold Your Fire. To be honest the majority of it is torture to my ears. It sounds like a bad Journey album but without the great ballads is the best way I can describe it. I would listen to Force Ten, Mission and maybe Turn The Page again. The rest, no thanks. When I got to Tai Shan I couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it and skipped the rest. High Water the same. Hope I didn't miss some "great guitar solo" or something by doing that. Something tells me I didn't. That album couldn't ever possibly grow on me. Just my opinion for what its worth....

I can't say I blame you. It took me a lonnnng time to get into that era of their music. They changed so much and not really for the better I thought. But I'm finding as the years go on I appreciate the stuff a lot more. Hearing it live really makes a big difference.

Hell, Roll The Bones sounded good live on Rio so..... :huh:
  • Like 1

So wait... Maybe I'm just a little slow here/out of the loop, but Narp have you never listened to alot of Rush's back catalog? Or are you just relistening to everything for the first time in a long time? Apologies for my ignorance. Just curious...

Define "back catalog"?..... :)

I don't know.. anything Rush has written over the past 40 years, besides MP, 2112, Fly By Night, CA, and PeW...

The truth is everything from 87' - 07'. I have heard some of it but am making an effort to listen to all of it in order again. Presto tomorrow..... :scared:

You'll have to make some effort to get through that. And for a payoff that Sisyphus would find unsatisfying.

A nod to T4E, LABT?

Sure, now that you mention it...

I just finished listening to Hold Your Fire. To be honest the majority of it is torture to my ears. It sounds like a bad Journey album but without the great ballads is the best way I can describe it. I would listen to Force Ten, Mission and maybe Turn The Page again. The rest, no thanks. When I got to Tai Shan I couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it and skipped the rest. High Water the same. Hope I didn't miss some "great guitar solo" or something by doing that. Something tells me I didn't. That album couldn't ever possibly grow on me. Just my opinion for what its worth....

I can't say I blame you. It took me a lonnnng time to get into that era of their music. They changed so much and not really for the better I thought. But I'm finding as the years go on I appreciate the stuff a lot more. Hearing it live really makes a big difference.

Hell, Roll The Bones sounded good live on Rio so..... :huh:

Well, there you go. ;)

I think you will find, Narpsicles, that Presto and Counterparts may have a few gems...

May? :facepalm:

May? I am fired up now and can't wait to get to them..... :madra: :sarcastic: Love the Narpsicles reference BTW

My tips:

Presto:

Available Light

The Pass

Chain Lightning

Counterparts:

Animate

Speed Of Love (mine and Lorraines special song)

Cut To The Chase

On the other hand, these might all suck.

Anyone who doesn't enjoy The Speed of Love is crazy. It's one of the finest songs they've ever written

It's probably in the top 250 songs they've ever written, is that what you mean by one of the finest?

• Like 4

I think you will find, Narpsicles, that Presto and Counterparts may have a few gems...

May? I am fired up now and can't wait to get to them..... :madra: :sarcastic: Love the Narpsicles reference BTW

My tips:

Presto:

Available Light

The Pass

Chain Lightning

Counterparts:

Animate

Cut To The Chase

Anyone who doesn't enjoy The Speed of Love is crazy. It's one of the finest songs they've ever written

It's probably in the top 250 songs they've ever written, is that what you mean by one of the finest?

I hate to hate on it but it was one of the worst songs I have heard and especially by them. It sounds like a poor attempt at a pop hit to me..... :huh: :ph34r: Berry Gordie back in the old days at Motown would have had a group of folks in a room with their thumbs all down on this one.....
  • Like 2

My tips:

Presto:

Available Light

The Pass

Chain Lightning

Counterparts:

Animate

Cut To The Chase

Definitely top 171... :P

• Like 1

I remember when Hold Your Fire came out, I thought Prime Mover was sort of the most "Rush-like" - at least at first. The cheeseball keyboards sort of wreck it, but to me it sounds like the old trio working. I'm not wild about the sound of the bass, which is sort of duck-farty, but he's got some chops going on. Narpski, I wouldn't mind hearing your point of view on that song in particular.
  • Like 1

I remember when Hold Your Fire came out, I thought Prime Mover was sort of the most "Rush-like" - at least at first. The cheeseball keyboards sort of wreck it, but to me it sounds like the old trio working. I'm not wild about the sound of the bass, which is sort of duck-farty, but he's got some chops going on. Narpski, I wouldn't mind hearing your point of view on that song in particular.

:LOL:!

Just wait until you get to "Incest Whore Gecko." I actually tried to listen to this last week, song by song, and I just could NOT get through it all in one sitting. Yes, it IS that bad...even with giving it the benefit of the doubt, the charity of time, looking at it through a forgiving lens, etc...it is just so appallingly horrible that I was actually insulted at how much pure uninspired horrid ass drivel is on that album.

It starts off OK, "Test for Echo" and "Driven" are alright (although the live versions on "Different Stages" are better), but "Half the World" and "The Color of Wrong" are two of the worst songs ever recorded by anyone, ever. Listening to those two was like being forced to club baby seals. "Chyme and Lotion," "Dog Years," and "Totem" are pole smokers, just as bad if not worse than "Half" and "Color" if for no other reason than the fact that such suckopathy actually has the audacity to appear after two of the worst songs ever written. It's not just the music, but the absolutely idiotic 5th grade mindnumbing lyrics where Neil turned into a pseudo-fake intellectual-liberal-wannabe. Makes my sack hurt just to think about it. But, then, "Virtuality" is actually pretty good! People hate on this song, but it's probably the most redeeming on this album-just because even if you HATE it, at least it's SOMETHING different. The boring watch-the-cars-rust formula of the rest of the album is a mind abortion. But, after "Virtuality" comes the worst instrumental they every did, "Rimblo," complete with the stupid "Transylvania twist" crap (almost as dumb as the "that's nice" wince-inducing dreck at the end of Pissto's otherwise OK "Chain Lightning") that's mixed so poorly you can't tell what the hell it is even trying to accomplish. The album ends (thankfully) with the equally horrid "Carve Away the Stone" which honestly is so lacking of ANYTHING that I actually lost interest in it in the time it took me to type the title!!!

Hope you take a few Ativans before you tackle the Gecko.

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 2

Just not a fan. I can understand how folks enjoy the 80's sound but I just don't. The "overproduction" if that makes sense just kills it for me. The plain old guitar, bass and drums works for me. I am just an old dude so my opinion is coming form that prospective. I love Yes and the keyboards belong but with Rush it just didn't sit well with me after they got carried away with it. It just dominates the sound to much for me. Just my opinion.... :codger: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Just wait until you get to Incest Whore Gecko. I actually tried to listen to this last week, song by song, and I just could NOT get through it all in one sitting. Yes, it IS that bad...even with giving it the benefit of the doubt, the charity of time, looking at it through a forgiving lens, etc...it is just so appallingly horrible that I was actually insulted at how much pure uninspired horrid ass drivel is on that album.

It starts off OK, Test for Echo and Driven are alright (although the live versions on Different Stages are better), but Half the World and The Color of Right are two of the worst songs ever recorded by anyone, ever. Listening to those two was like being forced to club baby seals. Time and Motion, Dog Years, and Totem are just as bad, if not worse, just because they actually have the audacity to appear after two of the worst songs ever written. It's not just the music, but the absolutely idiotic 5th grade mindnumbing lyrics where Neil turned into a pseudo-fake intellectual-liberal-wannabe. Makes my sack hurt just to think about it. But, then, Virtuality is actually pretty good! People hate on this song, but it's probably the most redeeming on this album-just because even if you HATE it, at least it's SOMETHING different. The boring watch-the-cars-rust formula of the rest of the album is a mind abortion. But, after Virtuality comes the worst instrumental they every did, Rimblo, complete with the stupid "Transylvania twist" crap (almost as dumb as the "that's nice" wince-inducing dreck at the end of Pissto's Chain Lightning") that's mixed so poorly you can't tell what the hell it is even trying to accomplish. The album ends (thankfully) with the equally horrid Carve Away the Stone which honestly is so lacking of interest that I actually lost interest in it in the time it took me to type the title!!!

Something to look forward too and thanks for the advice with the Ativan's. :LOL: Two will put me to sleep however....
  • Like 3

Just not a fan. I can understand how folks enjoy the 80's sound but I just don't. The "overproduction" if that makes sense just kills it for me. The plain old guitar, bass and drums works for me. I am just an old dude so my opinion is coming form that prospective. I love Yes and the keyboards belong but with Rush it just didn't sit well with me after they got carried away with it. It just dominates the sound to much for me. Just my opinion.... :codger:

Yeah—they did get carried away with it. That's on the money, I think.

• Like 1

Anyone who hates The Speed of Love is crazy. It's one of the most glorious songs they've ever written

Fixed.

Something got lost in the translation. I fixed it.

Don't ever be ashamed of your music taste. EVER!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

You guys are all crazy, HYF is my top 5, Presto is another favorite, Roll the Bones is average, Counterparts is also top 5! Test for Echo has great songs but people hate on it because it has some below average lyrics, Vapor Trails is okay! Geddy sings super high on One Little Victory!
  • Like 2

Just wait until you get to Incest Whore Gecko. I actually tried to listen to this last week, song by song, and I just could NOT get through it all in one sitting. Yes, it IS that bad...even with giving it the benefit of the doubt, the charity of time, looking at it through a forgiving lens, etc...it is just so appallingly horrible that I was actually insulted at how much pure uninspired horrid ass drivel is on that album.

It starts off OK, Test for Echo and Driven are alright (although the live versions on Different Stages are better), but Half the World and The Color of Right are two of the worst songs ever recorded by anyone, ever. Listening to those two was like being forced to club baby seals. Time and Motion, Dog Years, and Totem are just as bad, if not worse, just because they actually have the audacity to appear after two of the worst songs ever written. It's not just the music, but the absolutely idiotic 5th grade mindnumbing lyrics where Neil turned into a pseudo-fake intellectual-liberal-wannabe. Makes my sack hurt just to think about it. But, then, Virtuality is actually pretty good! People hate on this song, but it's probably the most redeeming on this album-just because even if you HATE it, at least it's SOMETHING different. The boring watch-the-cars-rust formula of the rest of the album is a mind abortion. But, after Virtuality comes the worst instrumental they every did, Rimblo, complete with the stupid "Transylvania twist" crap (almost as dumb as the "that's nice" wince-inducing dreck at the end of Pissto's Chain Lightning") that's mixed so poorly you can't tell what the hell it is even trying to accomplish. The album ends (thankfully) with the equally horrid Carve Away the Stone which honestly is so lacking of interest that I actually lost interest in it in the time it took me to type the title!!!

Something to look forward too and thanks for the advice with the Ativan's. :LOL: Two will put me to sleep however....

I don't agree with what Spaghetti said, I think Test for Echo is good, maybe the lyrics aren't 2112 or A Farewell to Kings but the album is still really good, Half the World is a great song and The Color of Right has been my favorite Rush song for the last couple of days!

• Like 2

I've got to apologize; apparently in my mind's haze (after listening to "Gecko" songs back to back apparently) some sort of way I actually got "Virtuality" mixed up with "Double Agent"!!! Don't ask me how I did that, but it is "Double Agent" that is actually OK!!! Different album, different song...I have no clue how I got that song mixed up with the butt-boil that is "Virtuality."

"Virtuality" is actually an example of just how badly Rush lost what made them RUSH at this point; the face-smashing reality that they apparently recorded such a steamer and ACTUALLY thought it was a good idea (let alone a good SONG) at the time. "Virtuality" is an "urban legend" of sorts...some have questioned the existence of a Rush song SO bad you'd crush your neighbor's taint in a 90 ton hydraulic press...and here come to find out such a song ACTUALLY EXISTS!!! Whodathunk both "Dog Years" and "Virtuality" could actually be included in the same piece of work? For every single kernal of corn in the bowl-ringer that is "Virtuality," there are TEN undigested green peas in the aural diarrhea that is "Dog Years." I mean, I thought there was a limit to the amount of necrosis a diabetic foot ulcer can take before you have to lop off the whole damn foot. Legend has it that if you record these two songs back to back on any media format, said format will actually suddenly cease to exist...sadly, that's what happened to minidisc when some poor sap recorded just these two songs on his new MD recorder, set it to repeat, fell asleep (gee, I wonder why) and then turned into the neighbor boy from Helen Reddy's "Angie Baby." Yep, not only did HE disappear, but so did minidisc. Damn you, Helen Reddy!!! Damn you to hell!!!!!!

Edited by Spaghetti Lee

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :P

• Like 1

Bowl City, this is all your fault. If you hadn't started this thread, the Holy Trio wouldn't have been blasphemed.

Even the Holy Triumvirate makes mistakes. See Presto and Roll The Bones.

:o Roll The Bones has three great songs on the album. If you want to talk mistakes, let's talk Snakes & Arrows. :boo hiss:

S&A has 3 great songs on it as well. RTB has some filler, but it never gets as hard to listen to as S&A (which still has 3 songs better than everything on CP).

Bowl City, this is all your fault. If you hadn't started this thread, the Holy Trio wouldn't have been blasphemed.

:o Roll The Bones has three great songs on the album. If you want to talk mistakes, let's talk Snakes & Arrows. :boo hiss:

S&A has 3 great songs on it as well. RTB has some filler, but it never gets as hard to listen to as S&A (which still has 3 songs better than everything on CP).

Another day in the neighborhood. This gives me lots to look forward to over the next 4 or 5 days. :sarcastic: From what I hear I am not sure I will be able to get through S&A.(a whole hour apparently no less).....

Presto through Test for Echo is really where I check out, even though I do like a bit of Counterparts. Not Speed of Love though...that's down there with Face Up, Superconductor, and Dog Years as one of the worst Rush songs for me. *runs away from Lorraine* :outtahere:
  • Like 4

Presto through Test for Echo is really where I check out, even though I do like a bit of Counterparts. Not Speed of Love though...that's down there with Face Up, Superconductor, and Dog Years as one of the worst Rush songs for me. *runs away from Lorraine* :outtahere:

Apparently I did a bit of a preemptive strike and checked out at Power Windows. Was just starting a family and the timing couldn't have been better..... :)
  • Like 2

Another day in the neighborhood. This gives me lots to look forward to over the next 4 or 5 days. :sarcastic: From what I hear I am not sure I will be able to get through S&A.(a whole hour apparently no less).....

S&A was a reverse grower for me (I liked it a lot at first on the strength of Far Cry and the instrumentals, and then started to like it less and less over time). I don't think there's anything offensively bad on it...it's just boring. But it is boring with some good guitar textures and with a sound that is much more palatable to me than the PoW-RTB sound.

I'm not sure if you've said this or not, but how are you listening to these? Do you own the CDs? I ask because for VT I'd strongly suggest the remix (or at least the HD remaster) and for many of these albums getting youtube quality will really detract from the experience.

S&A was a reverse grower for me (I liked it a lot at first on the strength of Far Cry and the instrumentals, and then started to like it less and less over time). I don't think there's anything offensively bad on it...it's just boring. But it is boring with some good guitar textures and with a sound that is much more palatable to me than the PoW-RTB sound.

I'm not sure if you've said this or not, but how are you listening to these? Do you own the CDs? I ask because for VT I'd strongly suggest the remix (or at least the HD remaster) and for many of these albums getting youtube quality will really detract from the experience.

I have the VT remix and have listened to it at least a half dozen times. Not a fan of most of it to be honest. I appreciate the emotion and all that surrounded its making and release but with the exception of a few songs I don't really care for it. I do appreciate your input and no I don't own these CDs (with the exception of RTB). I bought it after the Rio show because I liked it in that show. Safe to say the album as a whole was a different story altogether.....

I have the VT remix and have listened to it at least a half dozen times. Not a fan of most of it to be honest. I appreciate the emotion and all that surrounded its making and release but with the exception of a few songs I don't really care for it. I do appreciate your input and no I don't own these CDs (with the exception of RTB). I bought it after the Rio show because I liked it in that show. Safe to say the album as a whole was a different story altogether.....

What was your RTB assessment? Were there any songs that you liked?