Narp, how goes the delve into the later career?

The Analog Cub

Bowl City, this is all your fault. If you hadn't started this thread, the Holy Trio wouldn't have been blasphemed.

Even the Holy Triumvirate makes mistakes. See Presto and Roll The Bones.

:o Roll The Bones has three great songs on the album. If you want to talk mistakes, let's talk Snakes & Arrows. :boo hiss:

S&A has 3 great songs on it as well. RTB has some filler, but it never gets as hard to listen to as S&A (which still has 3 songs better than everything on CP).

Another day in the neighborhood. This gives me lots to look forward to over the next 4 or 5 days. :sarcastic: From what I hear I am not sure I will be able to get through S&A.(a whole hour apparently no less).....

S&A was a reverse grower for me (I liked it a lot at first on the strength of Far Cry and the instrumentals, and then started to like it less and less over time). I don't think there's anything offensively bad on it...it's just boring. But it is boring with some good guitar textures and with a sound that is much more palatable to me than the PoW-RTB sound.

I'm not sure if you've said this or not, but how are you listening to these? Do you own the CDs? I ask because for VT I'd strongly suggest the remix (or at least the HD remaster) and for many of these albums getting youtube quality will really detract from the experience.

I have the VT remix and have listened to it at least a half dozen times. Not a fan of most of it to be honest. I appreciate the emotion and all that surrounded its making and release but with the exception of a few songs I don't really care for it. I do appreciate your input and no I don't own these CDs (with the exception of RTB). I bought it after the Rio show because I liked it in that show. Safe to say the album as a whole was a different story altogether.....

What was your RTB assessment? Were there any songs that you liked?

A few songs but as per usual its the ones they play live mostly. I remember my reaction being this can't be them. The sound was just "thin" to me. I am going to listen again soon and maybe I will feel different. Their instrumentals I always like. At this point I would love to hear an entire jazz, funky, heavy ass instrumental album from them. I bet it would be beautiful....

I feel fortunate to have not been exposed to all of this negativity regarding these albums before I listened to them. Each one was a discovery in itself. Preinternet days were so much more magical.

Agreed. I discovered the albums on day of release from AFTK - Power Windows with no preconceived notions.... :codger:

I feel fortunate to have not been exposed to all of this negativity regarding these albums before I listened to them. Each one was a discovery in itself. Preinternet days were so much more magical.

I listened to everything with no preconceived notions, before I found this forum. I formed my opinion, then hunkered down into it. I should really give these albums another try, but it's difficult to make time for that when I could listen to something else.

So in the meantime, I poke fun at them :poke:

I listened to everything with no preconceived notions, before I found this forum. I formed my opinion, then hunkered down into it. I should really give these albums another try, but it's difficult to make time for that when I could listen to something else.

So in the meantime, I poke fun at them :poke:

We are not that dissimilar you and I..... :codger:
  • Like 1

My Hold Your Fire grades

Force Ten A

Time Stand Still B+

Open Secrets A (great solo too)

Second Nature B

Prime Mover A

Lock and Key B+

Mission B+

Turn the Page B+

Tai Shan B-

High Water C+

Interestingly, Tai Shan jumped out at me the first time I listened to it because it was so different and distinctive sounding for a Rush song, and I was into Asian stuff at the time. I loved the song initially. It really evoked a sense of time and place.

I've never cared for the intro of Mission. The keyboard intro was too simplistic and barren, but the rest of the song is very good and although I like the lyrics I think it's a prime example of Peart cramming too many awkwardly phrased words into lyrics.

Open Secrets is amazing and has been the biggest grower for me.

High Water could be better if it didn't end the album. It kind of falls flat as a closer.

I think being into video games heavily in the late 80's/early 90's helped me appreciate Rush's 80's sound more. When I first listened to Chronicles (in 1996) the 80's stuff is what really jumped out to me. Subdivisions on had that "videogame soundtrack" vibe and sounded very distinctive to me as far as rock music. I was kind of disappointed that this band wasn't on my radar when I was a teenager. I was 21 when I discovered Rush.
  • Like 1

I don't care what anyone else thinks. Segue is right. I like what I like. And dislike what I dislike. And I like the Speed of Love and dislike Snakes & Arrows. Sue me.

Good ladyfriend!

• Like 1

Rush should have just retired after MP. :facepalm: :finbar:

No, I don't think I would want to miss out on Signals and Grace. I will admit to making a sort of "super album" out of a lot of the later albums, though.

Rush should have just retired after MP. :facepalm: :finbar:

Eat my poo.

• Like 4

So... You on to Presto yet?

I will listen later this evening. I have to be in the right mood and frame of mind.... :)

I don't care what anyone else thinks. Segue is right. I like what I like. And dislike what I dislike. And I like the Speed of Love and dislike Snakes & Arrows. Sue me.

Good ladyfriend!

That one can be "your" song. I will find another for you and I Lorraine. It can't be that one as you guys have already taken it thankfully.... :)

Good ladyfriend!

That one can be "your" song. I will find another for you and I Lorraine. It can't be that one as you guys have already taken it thankfully.... :)

How about "Old Friends" by Simon and Garfunkel? :LOL:

I kid, I kid.

I will listen later this evening. I have to be in the right mood and frame of mind.... :)

You should be thrilled that you get to experience a "new" Rush album. I'm jealous. Presto is actually my second favorite album (behind Permanent Waves) although it wasn't initially. What songs have you already heard from Presto?

• Like 1

You should be thrilled that you get to experience a "new" Rush album. I'm jealous. Presto is actually my second favorite album (behind Permanent Waves) although it wasn't initially. What songs have you already heard from Presto?

Presto is a great album. But he won't like it. I guarantee you.

• Like 2

He definitely won't like it as a whole, there's a chance he might like Show Don't Tell, but I'm not sure about anything else. Maybe the title track
  • Like 2

Show Don't Tell and The Pass I know I have heard live. The rest I bet I haven't heard any of it. The opinions on this recording seem to be pretty much its great or it sucks from what I have seen on this board anyway. We'll see later......

Narp Is the guy who , when at an Italian restaraunt, orders spaghetti and meatballs EVERY SINGLE TIME

Very perceptive and I am not going to disagree either. At a steakhouse its always ribs and french fries. On occasion I throw caution to the wind and get a baked potato. At the seafood place its always fish and chips......

Show Don't Tell and The Pass I know I have heard live. The rest I bet I haven't heard any of it. The opinions on this recording seem to be pretty much its great or it sucks from what I have seen on this board anyway. We'll see later......

The title track was played on the Time Machine Tour for the first and only time.