Science Says Music Really WAS Better In The 70s!

I agree with everything in that article. Fix your music kids!!

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx298/kengildea/SeriousLEE_zpse8b423da.jpg

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 4

In fairness, it's just radio and pop music. Some new stuff like Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree is amazing and deep. Doesn't "reach" me the way Rush did/does but is very beautiful.

I tend to agree...but some bands are destined for classic rock status: Alter Bridge, Mastodon, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Muse.
  • Like 1

Welp, there's no arguing with science.

:laughing guy:

So the science is settled on this one too? I knew "my music" was better and now I know why. I just wonder if this goes as deep as to why I prefer the "older Rush sound" to the newer? Probably not. Oh well. Nice post GM..... :cheers:
  • Like 3

I tend to agree...but some bands are destined for classic rock status: Alter Bridge, Mastodon, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Muse.

Maybe over in the UK but they will never be considered classic rock here in the states no matter how long they stick around for. Alter Bridge and Muse are the only bands on that list that have had radio hits here. If a band doesn't have big hits, the majority of people will never see them as classic rock years down the road. That's pretty much how it goes when it comes to mainstream music in the US.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I agree with the article but not with the thread title. The article specifically refers to pop which has indeed been getting worse and worse, but doesn't look at any other genres. Therefore you can't say science proves that all modern music is worse than 70's music. If anything, I'd say that some modern music, at least the kind I like, is as good as 70's music. And let's not forget that there was plenty of bad 70's music too. Edited by adace1
  • Like 2

Maybe over in the UK but they will never be considered classic rock here in the states no matter how long they stick around for. Alter Bridge and Muse are the only bands on that list that have had radio hits here. If a band doesn't have big hits, the majority of people will never see them as classic rock years down the road. That's pretty much how it goes when it comes to mainstream music in the US.

Lacuna Coil have had FOUR top thirty albums in the US, the highest charting at numbern 15, and they have an enormous US fanbase.

Lacuna Coil have had FOUR top thirty albums in the US, the highest charting at numbern 15, and they have an enormous US fanbase.

Yes, but that still doesn't change the fact that they get zero radio play and very little mainstream exposure of any kind in the US. If they do, it's more about how hot Cristina is and not for the music. In 25 years they won't be considered classic rock. People don't know them well enough here for that to happen. Swamped, Heaven's A Lie and Our Truth are the only "hits" they've ever had here and those were minor at best. Good album sales the first week doesn't always mean a band is popular. It just means all the fans went out and bought the album when it was released.

• Like 1

Yes, but that still doesn't change the fact that they get zero radio play and very little mainstream exposure of any kind in the US. If they do, it's more about how hot Cristina is and not for the music. In 25 years they won't be considered classic rock. People don't know them well enough here for that to happen. Swamped, Heaven's A Lie and Our Truth are the only "hits" they've ever had here and those were minor at best. Good album sales the first week doesn't always mean a band is popular. It just means all the fans went out and bought the album when it was released.

Good comeback!

So I guess Creed and Nickleback will be this generations Journey/Rush.

Shame. But...Mastodon are practically classic rock already...the serious rock and metal fans already treat them like Metallica or Rush. When this generation of youngsters turn fifty, we will speak of them in the same elevated terms as seventies fans of Rush do today. Same goes for Alter Bridge and Foo Fighters.

I agree with the article but not with the thread title. The article specifically refers to pop which has indeed been getting worse and worse, but doesn't look at any other genres. Therefore you can't say science proves that all modern music is worse than 70's music. If anything, I'd say that some modern music, at least the kind I like, is as good as 70's music. And let's not forget that there was plenty of bad 70's music too.

I think that's part of the article's point; there's MORE pop music now than before (as a percentage, versus rock, alt, etc.), so it just drags everything down when taken as an average.

Your 2 later points I agree with, and don't contradict what I just wrote.

Didn't need a scientist to tell me this. I have ears.

Same here and to be honest I think shows like American Idol and The Voice have only contributed to the decline of popular music.

• Like 2

Didn't need a scientist to tell me this. I have ears.

Same here and to be honest I think shows like American Idol and The Voice have only contributed to the decline of popular music.

Oh you're wrong :no: I think they're wonderful shows :tsk:

:P

• Like 1

I think that a lot of this has to do with the fragmentation of the listening audience. People who actually care about music aren't listening to the radio anymore, so the radio has been overtaken by the crappiest forms of pop. That's why it seems like music isn't as good as it used to be, because genuinely artful music isn't being broadcast anymore. There is a whole world of exciting music out there if you're willing to look for it.

Or, you can turn on your classic rock station, listen to "Bad to the Bone" for the 9 Billionth time and complain about how music these days just can't compare.

• Like 3

Good comeback!

Shame. But...Mastodon are practically classic rock already...the serious rock and metal fans already treat them like Metallica or Rush. When this generation of youngsters turn fifty, we will speak of them in the same elevated terms as seventies fans of Rush do today. Same goes for Alter Bridge and Foo Fighters.

I think you're overrating Mastodon's popularity quite a bit. They're popular right now but they still lack that mass appeal to them. Serious music fans will always praise them though but I think they will be one of those bands 25 years from now when you mention them most people will say "who?"

Edited by J2112YYZ

Good comeback!

I think you're overrating Mastodon's popularity quite a bit. They're popular right now but they still lack that mass appeal to them. Serious music fans will always praise them though but I think they will be one of those bands 25 years from now when you mention them most people will say "who?"

Since when does "mass appeal" soley make a band classic rock? Mastodon and Opeth will be remembered for decades by real music lovers, not the mainstream.

• Like 2

Based on this article, 50s and 60s music would be better than the 70s. My thought is that the best music would be scientifically in the 80s. By this article, as time goes on, the experimentation of music dropped in pop as time went on, however, the experimentation of the synthesizer, and new styles of production that could happen thanks to computers continued to grow more and more unique until it peaked in the 80s, so when you combine the middle score the 80s receive from this article, with the top score I pointed out, I think that makes the 80s the best scientifically. The article did not mention testing variety of sounds which is really important to me in music. Either way, IMO the best music is (most of the time) not defined by time, but by how frequently you can hear it on the radio (inversely proportionate)

Based on this article, 50s and 60s music would be better than the 70s. My thought is that the best music would be scientifically in the 80s. By this article, as time goes on, the experimentation of music dropped in pop as time went on, however, the experimentation of the synthesizer, and new styles of production that could happen thanks to computers continued to grow more and more unique until it peaked in the 80s, so when you combine the middle score the 80s receive from this article, with the top score I pointed out, I think that makes the 80s the best scientifically. The article did not mention testing variety of sounds which is really important to me in music. Either way, IMO the best music is (most of the time) not defined by time, but by how frequently you can hear it on the radio (inversely proportionate)

So Rihanna, Pitbull, Miley Cyrus, and Nickleback are equal to scientifically proven perfection?

Its all in the opinion of the person listening to the music. I cannot stand the Eagles. My best friend adores them. Who is right? The person who is listening aka. those smart enough to handle having their own opinion.

And no way are the 80's the best decade. Why do I say that? Because thats what I think, so there. Lol!

Either way, IMO the best music is (most of the time) not defined by time, but by how frequently you can hear it on the radio (inversely proportionate)

So Rihanna, Pitbull, Miley Cyrus, and Nickleback are equal to scientifically proven perfection?

Emphasis on the term "inversely proportionate".

• Like 1