Hand Over Fist

Geddy's Soul Patch

I've recently been listening to a lot of the Presto album and I have really grown to love "Hand Over Fist". I never see it get name checked on here as one of the better songs from that album. It's certainly a little corny at parts but I think it has some of Alex's best guitar work on the album. Thoughts?
  • Like 3

I like Presto very much...but Hand Over Fist, War Paint and Scars are the weaker points of the album for me. The rest of it's great!

I agree Scars is one of the weakest on the album but I feel that War Paint is one of the most dynamic songs from the period
  • Like 1

I like most of the album - the only two I skip over are Superconductor and Anagram.

"Hand over Fist" is a song I appreciated much more when I noticed how much it reminded me of the central character in "The curious incident of the dog in the night time" (written long after the song). Does anyone else know this book, and if so, what do you think?

It's a nice song. It pops into my mind every now and then, and I'm pleased to have it there when it does. I don't consider it one of the great songs on the album (those would be The Pass, Available Light, and Show Don't Tell), but I do place it on the next tier with stuff like Anagram and Red Tide. And I agree with those who consider Scars a weak point.
  • Like 1

Personally, I love the whole album. I consider Available Light, War Paint, and Superconductor to be the high points. A lot of people on here also seem to hate Superconductor but I think it's righteous! Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

Now that I re-listen, much about this song is great actually! The only turn-offs I can detect is the cheesy lyrics / extremely artificial clean guitar tone Alex uses for the main riff.

"Hand over hand doesn't seem so much; hand over hand is the strength of a common touch"

Beautiful!

I tend to skip Hand Over Fist more often then not... It's still ok, just not one of my favs... Red Tide is one of the other hidden gems on that album...

Yeah Red Tide's very good.

Powerful song with good transition points. My problem lies with the synth use.

I love the sentiment in these verses. Always have been rather fond of this song.

"Take a walk outside myself

In some exotic land

Greet a passing stranger

Feel the strength in his hand

Feel the world expand

I feel my spirit resist

But I open up my fist

Lay hand over hand over

Hand over fist"

I remember during the Dark Years thinking, wow he seemed like he was really finding his way of dealing with people on better terms, but now he's prob going to shut down forever. But contrary to popular belief around here, his books make it pretty clear he is a pretty warm person when hes out and about.

• Like 1

It's a nice song. It pops into my mind every now and then, and I'm pleased to have it there when it does. I don't consider it one of the great songs on the album (those would be The Pass, Available Light, and Show Don't Tell)

Easily the best three...AL will always be my fave off Presto, infact it's Rush perfection...sorry just had to mention that! :)

• Like 3

I'm probably one out of five people on the whole forum that likes Superconductor...

I don't like Hand Over Fist. The only song on Presto I like even less is Show Don't Tell.

I'll listen to Chain Lightning, The Pass, Red Tide, Superconductor, and Available Light all day but definitely not HOF.

• Like 1

Years ago I had a friend who was intro death metal and industrial metal, yet he absolutely loved Available Light.

I love Geddy's singing in Hand over fist. "Lost in a world of my owwwwwwnnnnn"...

• Like 1

Years ago I had a friend who was intro death metal and industrial metal, yet he absolutely loved Available Light.

I love Geddy's singing in Hand over fist. "Lost in a world of my owwwwwwnnnnn"...

:musicnote: "Lay hand over haaand...ooover..." :musicnote:
  • Like 1

I like most of the album - the only two I skip over are Superconductor and Anagram.

"Hand over Fist" is a song I appreciated much more when I noticed how much it reminded me of the central character in "The curious incident of the dog in the night time" (written long after the song). Does anyone else know this book, and if so, what do you think?

I love that book. It struck me as a very well done treatment of what the world may look like from that perspective. It also made me recognize my own spectrum-like tendencies. :cool:

http://www.audioeditions.com/audio-book-images/l/The-Curious-Incident-of-the-Dog-in-the-NightTime-937666.jpg

• Like 1

I love the sentiment in these verses. Always have been rather fond of this song.

"Take a walk outside myself

In some exotic land

Greet a passing stranger

Feel the strength in his hand

Feel the world expand

I feel my spirit resist

But I open up my fist

Lay hand over hand over

Hand over fist"

I remember during the Dark Years thinking, wow he seemed like he was really finding his way of dealing with people on better terms, but now he's prob going to shut down forever. But contrary to popular belief around here, his books make it pretty clear he is a pretty warm person when hes out and about.

When he's aloud to be himself.
  • Like 1