What's with Neil running like crazy @ the end of CA Tour DVD?

zappafrank

Sorry if it's been discussed before, but I just picked up/had a chance to watch some of the DVD, and when they're done playing, Neil runs like a bat out of hell off the stage, backstage, and to his camper/vehicle. What's up with that?

Was that done for dramatic effect, or does he always take off like a crazy person? I know he keeps to himself these days, but it was just really "Um, OK. What in the world...?!"

Maybe he just really had to pee, I dunno.

Edited by zappafrank

He does that after every show so he can get away as fast as possible. After the show in "Portland" (actualy Ridgefield, WA) we were on a bus that the city runs just for concerts that takes the back way in to avoid traffic and we're out in the middle of the country and the bus stops all of a sudden. As we sit there wondering wth is going on, a cop car with lights going and a large, tour-type vehicle pulling a trailer pass us and heads into the darkness. I'm sure it was NEP and his motorcycles. At the next intersection they turned west, toward the coast, and the bus went east back into town.

Just seems odd for him to make a mad dash for it. I imagine that if he gave explicit instructions for would-be hasslers to be kept at a distance as he walked back to the dressing room, they'd be honored and he wouldn't have to worry about not being able to keep to himself.

Here I go again, but I remember seeing that in the theater and all of us laughing. I think he has a whole routine by this point that he wrote about once or twice involving which rooms he goes into, where he puts his shoes, showering, sorting clothes, and other sorts of incredibly interesting details we're always sorry we asked about. So, to answer your question, you probably don't want to know unless you want to read several paragraphs on the fine art of sock organization until you run that quickly out of a plate glass window just to stay awake.
  • Like 5

Just seems odd for him to make a mad dash for it. I imagine that if he gave explicit instructions for would-be hasslers to be kept at a distance as he walked back to the dressing room, they'd be honored and he wouldn't have to worry about not being able to keep to himself.

If you've read his books, you'd realize that he doesn't much care for us fans and the sooner he gets out of the venue the less chance he has to worry about interacting with any of us. You see, we're all just stalkers waiting for an opportunity.

• Like 1

If you've read his books, you'd realize that he doesn't much care for crazy obsessed obnoxious fans, and the sooner he gets out of the venue the less chance he has to worry about interacting with them.

:) :) :)

If you've read his books, you'd realize that he doesn't much care for us fans and the sooner he gets out of the venue the less chance he has to worry about interacting with any of us. You see, we're all just stalkers waiting for an opportunity.

Hey, forget The Popemobile, that huge drummer guy from that Canadian band is riding in on his motorcycle again! Maybe he can perform the exorcism instead by reading the possessed one of his books until the demon retreats from extreme boredom. :outtahere:

EDIT: Yes, I'm evil and I'm a bad Rush fan for hating Neil's writing. I'll stop complaining when the writer's market is a fair playing field, meaning never.

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes
  • Like 1

He's running to his bus to avoid traffic for the most part and fan interaction to a lesser extent (being stuck in traffic exiting the venue would definitely increase the chance of fan interaction). The bus drives to a predetermined point where he finishes sleeping. In the morning he gets on the motorcycle and rides the remaing way to the next venue. It's all in the books.
  • Like 1

Hey, forget The Popemobile, that huge drummer guy from that Canadian band is riding in on his motorcycle again! Maybe he can perform the exorcism instead by reading the possessed one of his books until the demon retreats from extreme boredom. :outtahere:

EDIT: Yes, I'm evil and I'm a bad Rush fan for hating Neil's writing. I'll stop complaining when the writer's market is a fair playing field, meaning never.

Maybe just evil and bad, period........ :huh: :)

Then again, I doubt any of us has woken up in our houses to find someone in our livingroom beggin for us to sign an autograph. That happened to Neil on his tour bus in Germany. Plus, fans always follow his bus until Michael, his security guy, has to "politely" ask them to turn around.

I don't blame him for running off. He's not a social person, unlike his band mates.

• Like 2

He does care about the fans. just isn't fond of people he doesn't know. He appreciates us, just from a distance. Totally understandable :)

Hell, if I'm around people I don't know, I get VERY uncomfortable and find myself looking for an exit. If they get too chummy or close, I completely panic.

Edited by hobo73
  • Like 1

Then again, I doubt any of us has woken up in our houses to find someone in our livingroom beggin for us to sign an autograph. That happened to Neil on his tour bus in Germany. Plus, fans always follow his bus until Michael, his security guy, has to "politely" ask them to turn around.

I don't blame him for running off. He's not a social person, unlike his band mates.

I don't think they "always" follow his bus but I do remember the story he told about it.

He wants to wind down with a few drinks of the Macallan.

Actually, yeah. He wants to shower, get some clean clothes, and have a few drinks before collapsing. He's a sixty-year old who's just played a three hour set behind the kit.

I'm 40 and I'd be vomiting and begging for an IV if I did what he did, much less sipping on The Macallan.

• Like 3

He's running to his bus to avoid traffic for the most part and fan interaction to a lesser extent (being stuck in traffic exiting the venue would definitely increase the chance of fan interaction).

That's also the reason for the funny videos they show at the end of each show. It's to keep the people in the building while the guys beat the traffic.

• Like 3

What's with Neil running Windows XP?

What's the deal with Windows XP? IDK, I'm just glad they gave up on Vista.

Or Windows ME for that matter. Talk about a disaster.

Okay, one more Neil joke and I'm done, I promise...

Hey, you think that's bad? Remember Microsoft Bob way back in the day? I heard a rumor that they're releasing the new Windows OS with Microsoft Neil. Instead of the inside of a house as your GUI, you get the inside of Neil's tour van. And instead of a dog, you get three huge guys in leather and with scary nicknames telling you not to click on anything.

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes
  • Like 1