Thoughts on Snakes and Arrows?

The Analog Cub

I don't listen to SnA. or anything they have made past the reunion . I do enjoy their concerts dvd's . the new music? I'm just not feeling it . CA is probably their strongest offering since but I still dont like it much. Its ok though I mean it seems every band has gotten worse. VH released a pile of crap with ADKOT also so Rush isnt exclusive to this misery. Rip me to shreads that is how I feel. I keep thinking Rush has one more good cd in them but they are too old. Al wants to phone it in . Ged's voice is shot and Neil wants to ...hell no one knows what Neil wants to do . I'm happy they finally got the recognition they deserved and became ever bigger then they were before the year 2000 . But to me the last great Rush song recorded was Alien Shore. I'll be awaiting the pitchforks and torches .
  • Like 2

I don't listen to SnA. or anything they have made past the reunion . I do enjoy their concerts dvd's . the new music? I'm just not feeling it . CA is probably their strongest offering since but I still dont like it much. Its ok though I mean it seems every band has gotten worse. VH released a pile of crap with ADKOT also so Rush isnt exclusive to this misery. Rip me to shreads that is how I feel. I keep thinking Rush has one more good cd in them but they are too old. Al wants to phone it in . Ged's voice is shot and Neil wants to ...hell no one knows what Neil wants to do . I'm happy they finally got the recognition they deserved and became ever bigger then they were before the year 2000 . But to me the last great Rush song recorded was Alien Shore. I'll be awaiting the pitchforks and torches .

Honesty is the best policy.... :yes:
  • Like 1

Frustrating isn't it? As time goes by, my favourite albums are becoming more apparent, and my dislikes are growing stronger...so albums past Power Windows become a little less enjoyable and I find it really frustrating that Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are so dull to me! I adore CA, although I still think its a shadow compared to the bands finest albums.

I enjoy Test For Echo, but I think its because it has an element of Spinal Tap about it...

Is there anybody out there who actually likes Far Cry now? I think everyone thought it was one of their best at first but the love for it seems to have faded since it's been a concert staple for the past 3 tours.

I like Far Cry...Don't love it though.

I thought S&A was good when it came out but have to admit I was disappointed by the lack of up tempo songs. I listened to it a lot hoping it would grow on me but it didn't. With the exception of Working Them Angels I don't listen to it at all.

• Like 1

I like Snakes and Arrows a lot actually. It's my second favorite Atlantic-era album.

It's all about the guitar on this one. Alex demonstrated his mastery of understated atmospherics all over this thing.

EDIT: Just listened to Spindrift. This song gets wayy too much hate.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 6

That's what I needed to know. Thanks...... :)

Why the hell are you on this forum? lol

I love Snakes and Arrows, I was listening to "The Larger Bowl" yesterday, damn I love that track!

• Like 1

I love Snakes and Arrows, I was listening to "The Larger Bowl" yesterday, damn I love that track!

To converse with fine people like you...... :) As far as my Rush cred goes, I am sure my many (world record pace) posts support that... :rose: <-------------- a small token of my esteem :)
  • Like 1

He might love the Rush album you dislike...jus' sayin'.

• Like 2

Only other time I've been as disappointed on first listen was T4E. T4E ended up growing on me but SnA stil hasn't all the way. Defintely towards the bottom of the Rush catalog for me. It's not horrible, but the last thing I'm looking for on a new Rush release is a bunch of slow/mid tempo folk tinged songs. Edited by presto123

Only other time I've been as disappointed on first listen was T4E. T4E ended up growing on me but SnA stil hasn't all the way. Defintely towards the bottom of the Rush catalog for me. It's not horrible, but the last thing I'm looking for on a new Rush release is a bunch of slow/mid tempo folk tinged songs.

but I do at least respect this album for at least not being predictable. I like the ideas on this album, but I'm glad there are 19 others to choose from.

It just sounds awful...the vocals and the music just does not mesh well...it really is a horrible song! It puts my teeth on edge.
  • Like 2

Decided to start playing this album...Far Cry is even better than I remembered! Lets see if this is a grower...

(Btw..I played Spindrift a few minutes ago, still not convinced).

The first four skngs are amazing, as good as CA. But I always thought that!

I'm very conflicted on Spindrift. On one hand, I love the menacing instrumentals, and I really like the background vocals. The vocal melody during the "spindrift, spindrift" part is fantastic, but the "a little closer to you" melody is one of their weakest, and just feels shoehorned in. All in all, I still enjoy the song, but that specific part drags it down a lot in my opinion.
  • Like 2

any of the filler on CA

wat.

Now you got me curious. What is the filler on Clockwork Angels? That album kicks some serious butt. I can't find a single track on there that I don't like apart from BU2B2 which doesn't even count as a track, and I suppose Wish Them Well isn't their best work.

• Like 1

any of the filler on CA

wat.

Now you got me curious. What is the filler on Clockwork Angels? That album kicks some serious butt. I can't find a single track on there that I don't like apart from BU2B2 which doesn't even count as a track, and I suppose Wish Them Well isn't their best work.

You are totally gonna hate me....lol I still feel, over a year later. That CA is about half a good album. Here's where you'll hate me.

I dislike

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

7 cities of Gold

Wish them Well. (Although it works live)

Mick