Thoughts on Snakes and Arrows?

The Analog Cub

any of the filler on CA

wat.

Now you got me curious. What is the filler on Clockwork Angels? That album kicks some serious butt. I can't find a single track on there that I don't like apart from BU2B2 which doesn't even count as a track, and I suppose Wish Them Well isn't their best work.

You are totally gonna hate me....lol I still feel, over a year later. That CA is about half a good album. Here's where you'll hate me.

I dislike

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

7 cities of Gold

Wish them Well. (Although it works live)

Mick

I find it interesting that you dislike Caravan, but like Halo Effect. In my opinion, Halo Effect is probably the weakest song on the album, and I love Caravan. Different strings I guess!

• Like 1

any of the filler on CA

wat.

Now you got me curious. What is the filler on Clockwork Angels? That album kicks some serious butt. I can't find a single track on there that I don't like apart from BU2B2 which doesn't even count as a track, and I suppose Wish Them Well isn't their best work.

You are totally gonna hate me....lol I still feel, over a year later. That CA is about half a good album. Here's where you'll hate me.

I dislike

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

7 cities of Gold

Mick

I find it interesting that you dislike Caravan, but like Halo Effect. In my opinion, Halo Effect is probably the weakest song on the album, and I love Caravan. Different strings I guess!

Halo Effect is light fluffy pop rock.......which I am a bit of a whore for, lol I have not liked Caravan since day 1 in like what...2010 or whenever. Different strings indeed my friend.

Mick

The first four skngs are amazing, as good as CA. But I always thought that!

Has your opinion of the rest of the album changed?

Actually, it is! Its really good!

• Like 1

The first four skngs are amazing, as good as CA. But I always thought that!

Has your opinion of the rest of the album changed?

Actually, it is! Its really good!

EVEN SPINDRIFT?! :o

um...no...

So...I think I need to sit down and start ranking my Rush from 1-20. I have no idea right now where to place this...its good stuff!

The Larger Bowl reminds me a lot of The Garden. I've had this album for years, and still I'm not all that familiar with it!

any of the filler on CA

wat.

I dislike

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

7 cities of Gold

Mick

Aside from Carnies, four of those are in my top six! (The other two are Headlong Flight and The Garden).

When I first heard the album, I loved Far Cry and the instrumentals, and I was positive that some of the others songs would grow on me and become favorites. They haven't. Other than the songs I mention, this is a boring, slow, trudgefest through mediocrity. It isn't a bad album, but it is Rush's second worst.
  • Like 1

I think it's got some of the best production value of any RUSH album, and some great songs. The instrumentals are top notch. Bravest Face is a dud, and Spindrift simply irritates, but then there are tracks like Workin' Them Angels that make my top songs list. Some of the tracks, like The Way The Wind Blows, fall into the "great song, bad chorus" trap that many later RUSH songs get caught up in. Overall, I like it more than Clockwork, but I know I'm in a minority here.

It's funny, the last album that people generally agree had great production was Counterparts, which is the only album worse than this one. It just goes to show you that the production quality isn't the essential part of enjoying a record.

• Like 1

Is there anybody out there who actually likes Far Cry now? I think everyone thought it was one of their best at first but the love for it seems to have faded since it's been a concert staple for the past 3 tours.

I still like it. Judging by the audience reaction to the songs, so do most other concert goers.

• Like 1

Spindrift really grew on me. yes it's filler, but I enjoy it far more then any of the filler on CA

Mick

Perhaps because that album doesn't have filler (other than Bu2B2, which is more for pacing and story).

• Like 1

Spindrift really grew on me. yes it's filler, but I enjoy it far more then any of the filler on CA

Mick

Perhaps because that album doesn't have filler (other than Bu2B2, which is more for pacing and story).

Ah opinions...you say no filler I say half filler, lol

Mick

Mick

Ah opinions...you say no filler I say half filler, lol

Mick

That's because I'm talking about CA and you're talking about S&A. Though I would put S&A at 2/3 filler.

I think it's got some of the best production value of any RUSH album, and some great songs. The instrumentals are top notch. Bravest Face is a dud, and Spindrift simply irritates, but then there are tracks like Workin' Them Angels that make my top songs list. Some of the tracks, like The Way The Wind Blows, fall into the "great song, bad chorus" trap that many later RUSH songs get caught up in. Overall, I like it more than Clockwork, but I know I'm in a minority here.

It's funny, the last album that people generally agree had great production was Counterparts, which is the only album worse than this one. It just goes to show you that the production quality isn't the essential part of enjoying a record.

Too true. Good songs make a good album. Production should match the artistic goals.
  • Like 2

I couldn't disagree more. Your dislike of Counterparts is well documented but you are not in the majority. Most people think it's a great Rush record with great production. Counterparts is WAY stronger than SnA IMO.

Edited by presto123

I couldn't disagree more. Your dislike of Counterparts is well documented but you are not in the majority. Most people think it's a great Rush record with great production. Counterparts is WAY stronger than SnA IMO.

well said! Opinion should never be accepted as fact.

otherwise everybody would agree with me that RTB is a top ten album, and that MP is hardly the masterpiece everyone says it is (although its still very, very good).

• Like 1

"Most people"? Umm...no. Most hardcore Rush fans? Yes.

otherwise everybody would agree with me that RTB is a top ten album, and that MP is hardly the masterpiece everyone says it is (although its still very, very good).

And facts shouldn't be invented to suit one's needs.

Though I'm pretty sure when people talk about how good albums are, we all know that we're talking opinions. But when we start to quantify how the rest of the world things about such opinions, it's best to look for some objective criteria, not just make shit up.

• Like 2

And facts shouldn't be invented to suit one's needs.

Though I'm pretty sure when people talk about how good albums are, we all know that we're talking opinions. But when we start to quantify how the rest of the world things about such opinions, it's best to look for some objective criteria, not just make shit up.

That being said, I can understand why some fans think the band went downhill after PoW. But as far as I am concerned, CP is regarded as being one of the better post PoW albums, and for me it is the third best (after CA and RTB respectively).

As for Snakes and Arrows, I think its getting a little better the more I hear it. But I am very glad when I started listening to Rush I chose MP and not this one (the latest release at the time). I don't think I would have explored the band much further had this been so...

For me, SA is a fans only album, casual listeners should look toward the more established classics (I started with MP, then 2112 and after a while PeW. Thanks to those, Rush slowly became an obsession! ).

I found it harder to get into S&A than any other album.

However, when I was going through a dark and stressful patch around a month ago it was the main album that made sense to me and I played it a lot (except Spindrift... have to draw the line somewhere)

• Like 1

I don't have many Rush songs I dislike (some I may skip, but I still like them), but Spindrift really is a clunker. I like many aspects of it, but that vocal from Geddy is horrible and the music and the vocal melody just do not blend well. If it had been an instrumental I would have enjoyed it. But Geddy really scrapes his nails down a chalkboard on this track. His voice is one of the reasons I LOVE this band. But this song is not an example of why. Arg, I think I hate it!

But otherwise, its folky atmosphere is growing on me. The majority of the songs are good, a select few verge on genuine excellence! Those first four songs are brilliant, the best cluster of tracks on any album of Rush this side of the millennium. Otherwise, CA is still the only masterpiece of this era for the band.

• Like 3

I don't have many Rush songs I dislike (some I may skip, but I still like them), but Spindrift really is a clunker. I like many aspects of it, but that vocal from Geddy is horrible and the music and the vocal melody just do not blend well. If it had been an instrumental I would have enjoyed it. But Geddy really scrapes his nails down a chalkboard on this track. His voice is one of the reasons I LOVE this band. But this song is not an example of why. Arg, I think I hate it!

But otherwise, its folky atmosphere is growing on me. The majority of the songs are good, a select few verge on genuine excellence! Those first four songs are brilliant, the best cluster of tracks on any album of Rush this side of the millennium. Otherwise, CA is still the only masterpiece of this era for the band.

I mostly agree. I love Workin' Them Angels, Armor and Sword, and The Larger Bowl, and I hate Spindrift. Most of the other songs are good/decent, and there's a nice set of instrumentals. The album manages to sneak into my Rush top ten.

• Like 1