Cat Stevens

Hall & Oates

Kiss

Linda Ronstadt

Nirvana

Peter Gabriel

Brian Epstein

The E Street Band

What, no YES?? No disrespect to KISS, but this is seriously messed up!!!

Both Yes and Kiss should have been in looong before bands like Public Enemy. Same holds true for Deep Purple and others...

Who doesn't think Public Enemy when you mention R&R Hall of Fame? Oh brother.

Look at the inductees for the Country Music Hall of Fame. They are "country" singers/bands. I don't see Depeche Mode there...you get my point.

http://countrymusichalloffame.org/full-list-of-inductees/

Cat Stevens

Hall & Oates

Kiss

Linda Ronstadt

Nirvana

Peter Gabriel

Brian Epstein

The E Street Band

What, no YES?? No disrespect to KISS, but this is seriously messed up!!!

Both Yes and Kiss should have been in looong before bands like Public Enemy. Same holds true for Deep Purple and others...

Who doesn't think Public Enemy when you mention R&R Hall of Fame? Oh brother.

Look at the inductees for the Country Music Hall of Fame. They are "country" singers/bands. I don't see Depeche Mode there...you get my point.

http://countrymusich...t-of-inductees/

They rocked later on in the 90s including guitars like Personal Jesus. Plus, there's that duet with Anthrax Public Enemy did and that awesome Slayer sample in She Watch Channel Zero.

• Like 1

Please, should have been YES before NIRVANA.

I don't think you can say that Yes has had a bigger influence on music than Nirvana did. I know a lot of people now say that Cobain's fame is owed to his early death, but I can remember people going crazy for Nevermind when it first came out. Until the late 90s-early 00s labels were signing "grunge" bands trying to find the next Nirvana.

Music? Yeah, I guess it's music. Haha

Look, as a musician, Nirvana is the bottom of the barrel. Teens identified with them because their lyrics and feel were depressing.

"Making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel" - Bart Simpson

They had mass appeal but to me, the hall of fame is for special artists, who deserve recognition for their excellence, not record sales. I realize I'm in the minority but it is how I feel.

I can show anyone who has never picked up a guitar one chord shape (bar chord) and then teach them 20 Nirvana songs. Nothing excellent there. Sorry.

• Like 1

YES definitely deserves to be inducted. travesty.

And Deep Purple. And King Crimson. And Jethro Tull. And Iron Maiden. And Judas Priest.

YES! Especially the Priest!

Sure, if you're just considering musical dexterity/talent. But that show ain't run like that

Agreed. Just sayin' it should be.

Baseball players ain't in the hall of fame because more people buy their jerseys or they had a high salary. Do something worthy of it in your craft.

I don't think you can say that Yes has had a bigger influence on music than Nirvana did. I know a lot of people now say that Cobain's fame is owed to his early death, but I can remember people going crazy for Nevermind when it first came out. Until the late 90s-early 00s labels were signing "grunge" bands trying to find the next Nirvana.

Look, as a musician, Nirvana is the bottom of the barrel. Teens identified with them because their lyrics and feel were depressing.

They had mass appeal but to me, the hall of fame is for special artists, who deserve recognition for their excellence, not record sales. I realize I'm in the minority but it is how I feel.

I can show anyone who has never picked up a guitar one chord shape (bar chord) and then teach them 20 Nirvana songs. Nothing excellent there. Sorry.

And it's this attitude that keeps bands like Yes out of the Hall.. Most people , the general public, could give a shit about technical brilliance or inventive/experimental songwriting.. Rock music came from the blues, not classical or jazz.. I think Yes should be in there, but at the same time, I get why Nirvana is and was more influential.. The music snobbery you express makes all Prog fans look like elitists, and that's what a majority of the music establishment thinks, and it's why bands like the Ramones and the sex pistols happened.

Nirvana , and Kurt Cobain, were a great band.. They wrote well crafted punk influenced tunes with cool hooks and melodies.. Who gives a shit if it wasn't all that complex? It's rock n roll

• Like 1

So by that logic is Yngwie Malmsteen the greatest guitarist of all time? Music isn't a science, it's art. I wasn't talking about record sales when I mentioned Nevermind, I was talking about people's reaction to the music.

Yes are all very technically gifted musicians. I like their music. But they didn't change the music industry. Nirvana did. Simple as that.

And as far as ability is concerned, many talented drummers will say that Grohl is excellent. And while Cobain wasn't a virtuoso guitarist, he was a good songwriter. If Nirvana isn't someone's cup of tea, as RGLT said, that's fine. But like with The Beatles, to suggest they weren't a transformative band is simply not historically accurate.

• Like 2

So by that logic is Yngwie Malmsteen the greatest guitarist of all time? Music isn't a science, it's art. I wasn't talking about record sales when I mentioned Nevermind, I was talking about people's reaction to the music.

Yes are all very technically gifted musicians. I like their music. But they didn't change the music industry. Nirvana did. Simple as that.

And as far as ability is concerned, many talented drummers will say that Grohl is excellent. And while Cobain wasn't a virtuoso guitarist, he was a good songwriter. If Nirvana isn't someone's cup of tea, as RGLT said, that's fine. But like with The Beatles, to suggest they weren't a transformative band is simply not historically accurate.

Some of us keep forgetting about the importance of MELODIES.

• Like 2

Sure, if you're just considering musical dexterity/talent. But that show ain't run like that

Baseball players ain't in the hall of fame because more people buy their jerseys or they had a high salary. Do something worthy of it in your craft.

With all due respect, are you saying that Nirvana has done nothing worthy of their craft?

With all due respect, are you saying that Nirvana has done nothing worthy of their craft?

Musically, they didn't do anything special or innovative. Cobain was a poor singer, a mediocre guitarist, but his lyrics and songs appealed to many, many young people, and many bands tried to capture their "sound". They made an impact in the rock & roll world, but again, they didn't do anything musically remarkable.

• Like 1

And it's this attitude that keeps bands like Yes out of the Hall.. Most people , the general public, could give a shit about technical brilliance or inventive/experimental songwriting.. Rock music came from the blues, not classical or jazz.. I think Yes should be in there, but at the same time, I get why Nirvana is and was more influential.. The music snobbery you express makes all Prog fans look like elitists, and that's what a majority of the music establishment thinks, and it's why bands like the Ramones and the sex pistols happened.

Nirvana , and Kurt Cobain, were a great band.. They wrote well crafted punk influenced tunes with cool hooks and melodies.. Who gives a shit if it wasn't all that complex? It's rock n roll

I am far from a musical "snob". I love old school, hard hitting rock and roll. I like some punk music.

An example. I love Green Day. Very Simple chord structures but their drummer is exceptional, bass player is interesting and unique. Billy Joe writes brilliant melodies over it all and they are very dynamic. Their lyrics are interesting and well crafted. Their music is simple but they are great at what they do.

Nirvana for me was as mediocre as it gets. Changing music isn't always for the better. Cobain had an "every man" kind of quality that teens could relate to. Every cover band on the planet could cover their music and I found it boring and redundant. It is all simply my opinion. There are thousands of bands writing very similar, droning songs because they lack the musical knowledge to do any better.

I really am trying not to come across wrong, I just know the "I'm playing chords with no knowledge if it fits" mentality. Major, minor? Who cares?

Simplicity is fine, I just don't think simplicity because I don't know any more should be rewarded with HoF status!?! I really believe it was popular because it was dumbed down and the masses ate it up.

Sorry if you disagree but that is the beauty of music, plenty for everyone. We don't have to agree.

Actually I think Guthrie Govan is the greatest guitar player I've ever heard. I agree though, techincally accurate doesn't make you a HoF candidate alone. Typing 200 words a minute is impressive. Tell me a beautiful story? That's something else... but you still need to be able to spell or speak. That's my point.

David Gilmore is not as fast as Yngwie but you could sing every one of his solos. Magically beautiful. THAT is special.

Nirvana did change music, I just don't think it was for the better.

Again, simply my opinion.

For that matter, I think Neil Young is horrible.

• Like 1

Nirvana for me was as mediocre as it gets. Changing music isn't always for the better. Cobain had an "every man" kind of quality that teens could relate to. Every cover band on the planet could cover their music and I found it boring and redundant. It is all simply my opinion. There are thousands of bands writing very similar, droning songs because they lack the musical knowledge to do any better.

Let's all agree that Nirvana is for some, and not others, just as Yes is. But I do want to respond to this particular point. As someone who was a high school kid in the early 80s, and played in cover bands, I remember when every guitar player wanted to be able to play Eruption. I knew a fair amount of kids who could play it note for note. But there's a difference between learning to play Eruption, and creating it. It's why there are lots of flashy guitar players in the world, and one Eddie Van Halen.

• Like 3

Actually I think Guthrie Govan is the greatest guitar player I've ever heard. I agree though, techincally accurate doesn't make you a HoF candidate alone. Typing 200 words a minute is impressive. Tell me a beautiful story? That's something else... but you still need to be able to spell or speak. That's my point.

David Gilmore is not as fast as Yngwie but you could sing every one of his solos. Magically beautiful. THAT is special.

Nirvana did change music, I just don't think it was for the better.

Again, simply my opinion.

For that matter, I think Neil Young is horrible.

One of my favorite expressions is "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla." I like Nirvana's music, and you don't. Nothing wrong with either viewpoint.

• Like 3

Let's all agree that Nirvana is for some, and not others, just as Yes is. But I do want to respond to this particular point. As someone who was a high school kid in the early 80s, and played in cover bands, I remember when every guitar player wanted to be able to play Eruption. I knew a fair amount of kids who could play it note for note. But there's a difference between learning to play Eruption, and creating it. It's why there are lots of flashy guitar players in the world, and one Eddie Van Halen.

We agree whole heartedly! I am enjoying my time in a Rush Tribute band and receive many compliments on playing Hemispheres. Very difficult tune. The magic is being 26 years old and conceiving that masterpiece from a blank piece of paper! Unbelievable!

Cheers!

:hail:

• Like 3

I thought this was sad:

Linda Ronstadt recently announced she is battling Parkinson's Disease and is unable to sing. "My health is not great right now," she tells Rolling Stone. "It's most likely I that I won't be able to make it to New York in April. Travel is very difficult for me."

• Like 1

We agree whole heartedly! I am enjoying my time in a Rush Tribute band and receive many compliments on playing Hemispheres. Very difficult tune. The magic is being 26 years old and conceiving that masterpiece from a blank piece of paper! Unbelievable!

Cheers!

:hail:

Amazing what talented musicians with killer weed can create!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

This reminds me of a video someone posted a while back. A teenage girl played Eruption extremely well, and she got lots of praise, but ultimately, she's just a mimic.

For every creator/innovator, there are a million copycats. :guitar:

• Like 1

I am far from a musical "snob". I love old school, hard hitting rock and roll. I like some punk music.

An example. I love Green Day. Very Simple chord structures but their drummer is exceptional, bass player is interesting and unique. Billy Joe writes brilliant melodies over it all and they are very dynamic. Their lyrics are interesting and well crafted. Their music is simple but they are great at what they do.

I really am trying not to come across wrong, I just know the "I'm playing chords with no knowledge if it fits" mentality. Major, minor? Who cares?

Simplicity is fine, I just don't think simplicity because I don't know any more should be rewarded with HoF status!?! I really believe it was popular because it was dumbed down and the masses ate it up.

Sorry if you disagree but that is the beauty of music, plenty for everyone. We don't have to agree.

green day's way shittier

• Like 1

green day's way shittier

Than Nirvana? No way. From a taste standpoint, you can have your opinion. Talent wise (and we are talking about the tallest midget here) Green Day has more talent.