Zeppelin Live

ILSnwdog

Today I heard a DJ on XM going off on Robert Plant because she saw a video of him jamming out some Zeppelin tunes with another band, and that it was horrible that he won't get back together with the rest of the band so younger generations could hear them live.

Am I missing something? Every live track that I have heard from Zeppelin sucks. It sounds sloppy and sort of hallow. In my eyes, zeppelin was a band at their best in the studio.

Thoughts?

Every live track that I have heard from Zeppelin sucks. It sounds sloppy and sort of hallow. In my eyes, zeppelin was a band at their best in the studio.

You're right. And most of their studio stuff was no great shakes to begin with.

I think it wasn't that they always bad live, it's more that they had their good days and bad days.

They weren't one of those bands where every last note is rehearsed and set in stone. Zeppelin left in lots of space to improvise and go off on tangents...the end result was that sometimes it really really worked and was magical, and sometimes it sucked donkey balls

• Like 6

Wish I'da seen them when they were together and yes, they left spaces for improv, because that's what the blues (which they drew heavily on) was about. Lots of room for guitar riffage (see A. Lifeson :LOL:) drum solos and the like. That Celebration Day on AXS live? We thought it kicked major ass and watching Bonzo Jr. (Jason Bonham) fill his Daddy's sticks and then some? as a drummer (and Mrs bob being a fangirl of drummers) we were blown away.

obviously I've never seen em, but I think they were at their live peak from 69-71 and somewhere around the time they became the biggest band in the world they got sloppy. there are still some powerful performances out there, but they were off a lot from what I've seen and heard. they did have a powerful stage presence and their shows had a cool vibe though (I'm basing this off videos I've seen, I dunno how their live shows actually were if you were an audience member)
  • Like 2

I think it wasn't that they always bad live, it's more that they had their good days and bad days.

They weren't one of those bands where every last note is rehearsed and set in stone. Zeppelin left in lots of space to improvise and go off on tangents...the end result was that sometimes it really really worked and was magical, and sometimes it sucked donkey balls

this is spot on.

this is spot on.

I liked that post too, but didn't have any first hand knowledge about the donkey balls part.

I have the LZ DVD, and the performances are mezmerizing. People just love to shit on LZ live, for some reason, like it's in fashion.

• Like 1

I never cared much for their live stuff, but Celebration Day was amazing

I remember an interview John Bonham did, sometime around 77 or so. Jason would've been say 10 years old ...warming up the big boys, John sitting in the front row for sound check was asked so whaddaya think?

"F*CK I've never seen Led Zeppelin live before!" ::):

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

I always thought Jimmy Page was a sloppy guitar player. Brilliant but sloppy.

John Paul Jones, much like Geddy, never seemed to have an off night in regards to his bass playing. Dead on, night after night. The slop is all Page.

• Like 2

obviously I've never seen em, but I think they were at their live peak from 69-71 and somewhere around the time they became the biggest band in the world they got sloppy. there are still some powerful performances out there, but they were off a lot from what I've seen and heard. they did have a powerful stage presence and their shows had a cool vibe though (I'm basing this off videos I've seen, I dunno how their live shows actually were if you were an audience member)

All the early performances I've heard are tight and powerful. I can only imagine the "sloppy" criticism comes from Page's later playing (I can understand that, whereas I don't know where the criticism of Jones, Bonham and Plant would come from). To be fair though, the guy is usually playing parts better suited for multiple guitars.

• Like 2

I know Led Zeppelin has a less than stellar reputation as a live band and I never had the opportunity to see them live, but the videos I've seen and some bootlegs I've heard lead me to believe they are not nearly as bad as their reputation seems to convey. Yes, they sound sloppy on some bootlegs I've heard, but they sound incredibly energetic and driven on others. They had the ATTITUDE and CONFIDENCE to be the biggest band in the world. Also, being at and experencing a live performance is much different than watching a video or listening to a bootleg. I can't imagine what watching Led Zeppelin perform at MSG might have been like. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 3

Never saw them live although I've had the chance. Sigh.

I've seen 2 shows of Page&Plant in the 90's and it was incredible. The performances were really great and I enjoyed them very much.

this is spot on.

I liked that post too, but didn't have any first hand knowledge about the donkey balls part.

I have the LZ DVD, and the performances are mezmerizing. People just love to shit on LZ live, for some reason, like it's in fashion.

well that DVD is the best of the best. they aren't going to put the shitty nights on dvd

I know Led Zeppelin has a less than stellar reputation as a live band and I never had the opportunity to see them live, but the videos I've seen and some bootlegs I've heard lead me to believe they are not nearly as bad as their reputation seems to convey. Yes, they sound sloppy on some bootlegs I've heard, but they sound incredibly energetic and driven on others. They had the ATTITUDE and CONFIDENCE to be the biggest band in the world. Also, being at and experencing a live performance is much different than watching a video or listening to a bootleg. I can't imagine what watching Led Zeppelin perform at MSG might have been like.

no shortage of confidence between those dudes

I heard a rock critic a couple years ago talking about the Rolling Stones (it might have been on Bob Boylan's show on NPR) and addressing what Bob called Keith Richards' "sloppy playing" (a term I had used myself).

The critic said: no, it wasn't sloppy, it was LOOSE. Keith knows exactly where the groove is and he pushes his notes right to the edge. That's what makes him great.

Man, that comment really opened my eyes.

Anyhoo, I think some of that applies to Jimmy Page, as well.

I no longer confuse loose with sloppy.

Edited by sitboaf
  • Like 6

A Led Zep concert veteran here. :codger:

It was a religious experience... R&R, loud, raw and sometimes sloppy. People, even in the nosebleed seats, did not sit down the entire show. It was Led Zep and they could do no wrong.

Say what you may, I can tell you... they were amazing live. :sundog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyzHo6ziyyU

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2