Winter 2013 - 2014

RushCanuck

I thought I'd start a topic about winter. Please post your comments, enjoyment or frustrations, if you care to.

Yesterday, Nov. 23, almost a month before the official start of winter, an Arctic cold front arrived. Currently, it's -10 celcius (10 farenheit approx). The winds are gusting out of the North West, and as they cross the warm waters of Lake Huron, they pick up moisture and create 'snowsqualls'. My city, London, Ontario, is directly under one of those squalls. Since last night, looks like we've had over a foot of snow, and it's supposed to continue until late this afternoon. When it's all done, we may be at 1 1/2 feet (they say 40 - 45 centimeters. I stepped in a foot of snow this morning out my front door). What's crazy is if you go ten miles east or west of the city, they don't have the amount of snow we have. Unfortunately, there have been hundreds of car accidents so far, and the police are pleading with motorists to go slow or stay home. It seems too early to receive this weather, but I guess that's what living in Canada can bring. I wish everyone affected by this storm and the upcoming winter the best, please be safe. It is shaping up to be a tough winter by the looks of it.

• Like 1

Saturday morning was the opening of the deer season in Wisconsin. I hunt at my parents place. 80 acres 50 miles north northeast of Green Bay. Woke up to five degrees with 30 mph winds. It was painful sitting in the deer stand. It was making my eyes water so bad I was having trouble seeing. I lasted for an hour before going in and sleeping in front of the fireplace. :(
  • Like 2

RushCanuck, thanks for starting this thread. I do love the winter, but it seems that the older I get, it is harder for me to take the cold weather. I never seem to be able to get warm, and I can't find socks to keep my feet warm enough.

I get up early in the morning. Our nights the past couple of weeks have been clear and cold, and my favorite thing to do at 5:30 A.M. is to, when I go outside to feed the animals, look up at the sky. The stars are brilliant and the constellations are easy to decipher. It is beautiful, but not as beautiful as when the ice frosts the tree limbs and they glisten in the light of the moon.

We haven't been hit with any snow to complain about yet, but I am sure it is on the way. I'm hoping it holds off until after the first week of December, as I have to have some work done outside that requires digging a trench. Hard to do in a blizzard! :)

It got down to the teens so far here in Maine this fall. Last night had snow...the sanders were out. Not enough to plow tho. Northern Maine had 10 inches tho. Im in southern Maine. I see our NH neighbors had plowable snow also.

Whats this i hear aBOUT snow in Arizona ?

I'm supposed to be studying for final exams that I have next week, but it's so cold.

I don't feel like doing anything except curling up under a warm blanket and sleeping.

I hate it when the weather gets like this. It's supposed to be miserable for at least 5 days.

Ughhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to Canada. :banghead:

It's been inseasonably warm here...good golfing weather. But the lack of snow has made for a ousy si season so far. Weather is supposed to change tonight, with dropping temps & snow by Wednesday.

Wow, poor Calgary... I saw some footage and it looks brutal. They said snow plows were pulled off the highways, never a good sign. You have to be tough to be a Canuck in winter, lol.

Here in London, Ontario we are supposed to have highs of +10 celcius (50 farenheit) over the next 2 days to melt some of the snow we were pasted with on Nov 23 -24 (see my first post in this topic for a reminder of the 'joy' we experienced).

• Like 1

We're in a deep freeze here. Single digits by night and only in the teens by day with northeast winds giving us subzero windchill temps.

It will remain like this for the foreseeable future. The electric and gas company is pleased.

Edited by Lorraine

Here in California it's been unseasonably warm. Early this morning it was 49F, and that's only the 3rd time it's been that cold this season. A couple weeks ago we had about 24 hours of rain—the first real rain we've had since early this year. We are heading towards a severe drought, and a severe fire season next year, unless something changes and soon.

I can't find socks to keep my feet warm enough.

The body shuts down circulation to the extremities to warm the critical organs. Getting your core warmer will help warm your feet more than any socks ever could.

You can also get some of those disposable, chemical hand warmers and put them between 2 pairs of socks. I've tried this when it's really cold and it helps. They don't stay super warm because they need oxygen and there isn't that much in your boots. (You can get those in the hunting department of Wal-mart or similar)

• Like 1

I can't find socks to keep my feet warm enough.

The body shuts down circulation to the extremities to warm the critical organs. Getting your core warmer will help warm your feet more than any socks ever could.

You can also get some of those disposable, chemical hand warmers and put them between 2 pairs of socks. I've tried this when it's really cold and it helps. They don't stay super warm because they need oxygen and there isn't that much in your boots. (You can get those in the hunting department of Wal-mart or similar)

That explains why my hands are ice cold too.

Thank you for the advice. I truly appreciate it and will give it a try! :)

It's back above zero in Western Wisconsin, and that's alright with me......and my old Buick..... :D

Here in Northern, VA, we had our first freeze in late October. In years past, we may not have gotten low below freezing until December, or even January. In the late 90's I can recall a winter or two where we didn't freeze at all. November had days where we didn't get above freezing, and some nights down into the low 20's or even upper teens. So far in December we've had mostly freezing weather at night, and some days, like to, where the high temps will not make it out of the 20's. We've already had two storms; and ice storm this past Sunday, and a snow storm this past Tuesday.

I don't know what the rest of the winter will bring as far as snow, but it seems like it will certainly be cold enough for it.

It is effing cold here .. I wish I could hibernate until the spring. The older I get, the more I feel the cold.

Luckily, I don't have that problem yet. My boss was laughing at me as we were walking in from the parking lot this morning. It was 2 above zero and my leather jacket was wide open while we were walking in, and he is all bundled up wearing a Bears stocking cap and ski gloves. The cold doesn't bother me unless I'm out in it for a while.

Heavy lake effect snow started falling around 4 o'clock, 7 to 10 inches expected. I'm glad i'm at home and don't work tomorrow. I like snow but driving in this kind of stuff always sucks.

Do people in Buffalo mount snow tires in the winter? I have them. They are not mandatory here in Ontario, but I wouldn't go thru winter without my Blizzacks.

It is effing cold here .. I wish I could hibernate until the spring. The older I get, the more I feel the cold.

Same here. I love the winter, but i can no longer take the cold. I'm thin and I feel the cold very much. Not to mention the fact that I now have aches and pains I didn't have when i was younger. The worse for me is a damp cold, which is what we have this week after last week's below zero temps. It has warmed up to the twenties now

It is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow - maybe freezing rain too - that's the worse. No way would I drive in that even if I have a four wheel drive and studded snows. Nothing helps when the road is a sheet of ice.