Peart update: Angels Landing

Tony R

I like and admire the fact that he writes about what he does outside of Rush and while being on the road during Rush tours. It may not always be commercial or stuffed with spectacular events in order so that it reads like a bestseller novel. That's fine by me. It's his perception of the world that he jots down in his journals. And just because you're a Rush fan doesn't mean you automatically have to like and love everything he writes or does. It has always surprised me that he likes and wants to share some of the things that go on and have went on in his private life with us all.

The things I usually like most about his entries are the pictures and descriptions of places I have once visited myself while traveling through the USA or Europe over the years and which he has also visited. Sometimes with him having been there even only a couple of months before or after me in some events. That's what makes his writing special for me. I also like what he writes about places I haven't been to yet or probably will never be able to visit. Sometimes his USA travel writings even remind me of The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Bryson or of Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon or even Desert Solitaire: A Season in the Wilderness by Edward Abbey. All books that I love.

What I particularly like about this entry is that he describes Bryce Canyon the same way as I do: "This is the view that etched itself on my memory fifteen years before, and sustained my impression that it was perhaps the most fantastic place I had ever seen." For me being a Yes fan next to being a Rush fan Bryce Canyon is where Roger Dean's (artist for many Yes album covers over the years) landscapes come to life. It is so totally awesome to wander through these unearthly dreamlike landscapes. So this entry in his travel journal was especially fun to read :) And seeing that he has had such a great time out on the open road and in the parks and that it made him happy and that he even contemplated a new song title prior to this road trip was a reassuring sign indeed. Hopefully he'll be able to refill his creative batteries in the coming months (or year) and as a result of it will write a lot of new lyrics in the years to come :)

I gave up on "trying to like" Neil Peart's writing a long while ago. He's a good lyricist (when he's great, he's great, when he's bad, he's baaad). Anyway, I don't read his stuff because I don't like his stuff. Maybe he needs a really good editor, but I don't think that's the problem.

I might be a bit biased right now thanks to the fact that the site's forum just accepted me as a new member yesterday. But don't worry, my usual snark towards humanity in general will probably return once I've run out of recipes to post.

Yes, I said recipes. On Neil's site. Why are you laughing?

Jesus Christ... :facepalm:

I won't laugh.

I help run that place. :D

and we enjoy a bit of snark.

The thing is, though, that I keep really wanting to like it. I keep going back to his articles, hoping against all logic and reason that maybe he's gotten the hint...

Somewhere he has written that he believes his niche as a writer is as a travel writer. it appears the hints are traveling in the opposite direction.

I enjoy his actual "travel writing. It's his bitching about politics and what is or is not "Christian" and his apparent distaste in almost everything American that has me saying go f***ing ride your bike in the Middle East.

I enjoy his travel and tourism writing. He often tells me about places in my own country I might have never known about. I've done my fair share of bitching about his religious and political views, but if you only read the writers you agree with 100% you are in the middle of a boring existence.

Edit: Having just read the thing he does come across as quite dickish in a couple of spots. I have found over the years that the things that make me angry are things I have no control over or behavior in other people that I don't care for in myself. Anger is often based in fear. NP seems a bit unsure of himself and self-consious in this latest blog post. Not one of my favorite entries.

Edited by drbirdsong

What I think is pretty hilarious that he piously writes about not showing a picture of his car so as to avoid displaying his wealth and arousing envy. As if writing about it that way is not just as much of a display!

I love Neil for what he's given me as a member of Rush, but good lord is he full of hot air sometimes! :LOL:

• Like 1

Why is it that Americans can't stand anyone writing anything critical of their country or of their narrow beliefs and world views?

If you are so confident of American exceptionalism then you should just laugh at Peart, instead we get wailing and gnashing of teeth.

• Like 4

Why is it that Americans can't stand anyone writing anything critical of their country or of their narrow beliefs and world views?

If you are so confident of American exceptionalism then you should just laugh at Peart, instead we get wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I can't find anyone that commented on these subjects, even Neil. American exceptionalism? Who said anything about that? I did express my opinion that it is tiresome. We've got the point and understand his opinion. If he is capable of writing on another subject I suggest he move on or begin to lose what little audience he has.

Ahhh Tony...such a warm & fuzzy and totally predictable limey bastard.

What I think is pretty hilarious that he piously writes about not showing a picture of his car so as to avoid displaying his wealth and arousing envy. As if writing about it that way is not just as much of a display!

I love Neil for what he's given me as a member of Rush, but good lord is he full of hot air sometimes! :LOL:

He always prefaces any mention of his wealth with the disclaimer that he doesn't want to be seen as a braggart. :LOL:

He always prefaces any mention of his wealth with the disclaimer that he doesn't want to be seen as a braggart. :LOL:

Well, it's the Internet so the pictures could be worse. They could be prefaced with, "I'm not a pervert, but..." :scared:

• Like 1

What I found f***ing hilarious is that the takes a brand new $300,000 car on a joyride in a national park annnddd....crashes into a mule deer. Dumbass.

Earth to Neil: You have a f**king wife and baby at home. Rehab. Now.

I've climbed Angels Landing many times and stood right there. Glad Neil got to experience it.

Zion is my favorite National Park.

I saw a few bitter, and dare I say, envious (ha) posts. I dare not read more. I don't want to think worse than bitter, envious or uncool of anyone who posted negative in this thread.

Tony, you are always on top of it with Neil's essays. Thanks.