Other favorite artists/band? Your personal Top 5 list

BUB

Lol its all opinion...

I cannot stand Judas Priest and ACDC are trashy cliche proto metal....

AC/DC.....that's for me hating Bruce, ain't it? ;)

Could you define "Trashy Cliche Proto Metal" for me please? Thanks

I guess Priest could be considered the progenitors of modern heavy metal, and therefore "proto-metal".

They're not in my top ten, but I do listen to the pre-Turbo material quite often.

I wouldn't call AC/DC metal at all; it's more like blues-inspired hard rock.

"Trashy and cliche" ? A matter of opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.

• Like 3

Lol its all opinion...

I cannot stand Judas Priest and ACDC are trashy cliche proto metal....

AC/DC.....that's for me hating Bruce, ain't it? ;)

Could you define "Trashy Cliche Proto Metal" for me please? Thanks

I guess Priest could be considered the progenitors of modern heavy metal, and therefore "proto-metal".

They're not in my top ten, but I do listen to the pre-Turbo material quite often.

I wouldn't call AC/DC metal at all; it's more like blues-inspired hard rock.

"Trashy and cliche" ? A matter of opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.

Damn that was well said my friend. In my humble opinion, anyone who considers pre 1980 AC/DC metal, just ain't listening. Back in the old days we called it Hard Rock or Acid Rock. Totally blues based rock. The Judas Priest I knew and loved was totally blues based rock. What both bands morphed into post 1980 is another story all together ......... :( :codger:
  • Like 3

I have to go with a top 10 here, cause doing a top 5 kind of doesn't define my musical tastes as of now really well compared to a top 10. Like some people mentioned with theirs, the list could change tomorrow (more like in 6 months for me) cause they reflect on my current music tastes. Although for most bands on this list, I don't see being out of the list for awhile although they might switch positions (except for :rush: cause they'll always be my favorite band and the band I go back to the most.) For example, Iron Maiden was my 3rd favorite band two years ago now they're my 5th. Incidentally, half of the bands on the list I either discovered and/or became a fan of this year.

1. :rush:

2. Steven Wilson (includes Porcupine Tree, his solo albums and everything in between)

3. (tie) Opeth and Katatonia

4. Dream Theater

5. Iron Maiden

6. Tool

7. The Devin Townsend Project

8. Mastodon

9. Stratovarius

10. Nightwish

It's highly probable that the next time I make a list like this, King Crimson will knock either of the last 2 bands off the list as I'm starting to get into to them more (since listening to them for the first time earlier this year) and every album I've heard so far is perfect to me. Death, Anathema and Alcest or any band I discover or become a fan of in the future could also make my "new" top 10 as well in a few months for similar reasons.

I'm listing ten because I can't limit myself to just five, and in alphabetical order because I'm fickle:

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

I'm surprised that nobody else listed Zeppelin.

I appreciate your list. At least I have heard of all of these. I could have listed Zeppelin on my list. I have all of their albums and listened to them all the time when I was younger. I think they are kind of like the Beatles in a way. I could be wrong, but I think it is a given that at least almost everybody likes them. Those two bands at least are in a different category. Just my opinion :codger:

I love the beatles! I kept them off my list because I feel its just to obvious, like somebody coming up to you in the street to say: "ya know, I just can't survive without me oxygen!". Coz its only natural to love the beatles?!

Am I right?!

As for led zep...well it won't be long before I add them to my top ten, they are getting more and more special to me as time goes by!

And I want to put ABBA out there...without them I never would have started my obsession with music from a young age...amazing band!

Most people I know "like" The Beatles, just like they "like" chocolate and pleasant days, but of those I know who have a strong opinion about music, many more dislike them than like them. Some because of overexposure, some because of ignorance ("they sound like The Monkees"), but most because they see them as over-hyped, over-rated milquetoast music (again, ignorance IMO), or they can't stand the one-time boy-band aspect, or they can't stand the individual members, etc. etc. Maybe it's an American thing, though the likes of John Lydon and Joe Strummer didn't seem too enamored either. I know one guy who is has maybe the most extensive and eclectic collection of music I can imagine, and yet not one piece of music by The Beatles does he own; he's just allergic, and he'll get annoyed if you ask him why or try to argue with illogic of it. While he's an extreme example, his attitude is not uncommon in my experience, so no, I don't think it's at all obvious that someone likes The Beatles. Especially "like" vs counting them among your five favorite bands. You can "like" Penny Lane and not have ever heard Tomorrow Never Knows or Dear Prudence, but that doesn't make you really appreciate their genius.

• Like 2

I'm listing ten because I can't limit myself to just five, and in alphabetical order because I'm fickle:

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

I appreciate your list. At least I have heard of all of these. I could have listed Zeppelin on my list. I have all of their albums and listened to them all the time when I was younger. I think they are kind of like the Beatles in a way. I could be wrong, but I think it is a given that at least almost everybody likes them. Those two bands at least are in a different category. Just my opinion :codger:

I love the beatles! I kept them off my list because I feel its just to obvious, like somebody coming up to you in the street to say: "ya know, I just can't survive without me oxygen!". Coz its only natural to love the beatles?!

Am I right?!

As for led zep...well it won't be long before I add them to my top ten, they are getting more and more special to me as time goes by!

And I want to put ABBA out there...without them I never would have started my obsession with music from a young age...amazing band!

Most people I know "like" The Beatles, just like they "like" chocolate and pleasant days, but of those I know who have a strong opinion about music, many more dislike them than like them. Some because of overexposure, some because of ignorance ("they sound like The Monkees"), but most because they see them as over-hyped, over-rated milquetoast music (again, ignorance IMO), or they can't stand the one-time boy-band aspect, or they can't stand the individual members, etc. etc. Maybe it's an American thing, though the likes of John Lydon and Joe Strummer didn't seem too enamored either. I know one guy who is has maybe the most extensive and eclectic collection of music I can imagine, and yet not one piece of music by The Beatles does he own; he's just allergic, and he'll get annoyed if you ask him why or try to argue with illogic of it. While he's an extreme example, his attitude is not uncommon in my experience, so no, I don't think it's at all obvious that someone likes The Beatles. Especially "like" vs counting them among your five favorite bands. You can "like" Penny Lane and not have ever heard Tomorrow Never Knows or Dear Prudence, but that doesn't make you really appreciate their genius.

I detest the Beatles were a boy-band argument! Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Joe Strummer was a big time John Lennon fan. The Clash dreamed of Lennon producing Give Em Enough Rope. It was some Strummer biography.

1. Rush

1. Led Zeppelin

3-5. Changes all the time. But maybe:

Bob Dylan

Smashing Pumpkins

God Street Wine

Fighting Gravity

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Marley

Someday Providence

Allman Bros

Warren Zevon

The Beatles

Sublime

Alice In Chains

Jane's Addiction

Neil Young

The Doors

DMB

Wolfmother

Tori Amos

The Parlor Mob

Pearl Jam

Dream Theater

U2

Counting Crows

Pink Floyd

That was 3, right? That doesn't include a lot of newer bands with only 1 or 2 albums.

• Like 1

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

Am I right?!

I detest the Beatles were a boy-band argument! Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Joe Strummer was a big time John Lennon fan. The Clash dreamed of Lennon producing Give Em Enough Rope. It was some Strummer biography.

Its 2013, and the members of "bands" like New Kids or NSync are, for the most part, gone from the music scene. Meanwhile, McCartney is probably preparing to tour again. A person has to frankly be a complete idiot to think of the Beatles as a boy band.

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

Am I right?!

Its 2013, and the members of "bands" like New Kids or NSync are, for the most part, gone from the music scene. Meanwhile, McCartney is probably preparing to tour again. A person has to frankly be a complete idiot to think of the Beatles as a boy band.

It's not even that. The Beatles were a rock and roll band that played their asses off, sometimes 6-8 hours sets. So what if Brian Epstein put them in suits and they concentrated on writing hit singles! They were a band, more so than most.

Right...just to bore everybody once again I have racked my brains trying to work out my definitive top fifteen...coz five and ten simply ain't enough!

!

1) Lacuna Coil

2) Khoma

3) Bruce Springsteen

4) Rush

5) Alter Bridge

6) Miles Davis

7) The Beatles

8 ) Jimmy Eat World

9) The Gathering (Anneke era)

10) Nightwish

11) Thrice

12) Toto

13) Fleetwood Mac (Buckingham/Nicks era)

14) ABBA

15) AFI

Right...just to bore everybody once again I have racked my brains trying to work out my definitive top fifteen...coz five and ten simply ain't enough!

!

1) Lacuna Coil

2) Khoma

3) Bruce Springsteen

4) Rush

5) Alter Bridge

6) Miles Davis

7) The Beatles

8 ) Jimmy Eat World

9) The Gathering (Anneke era)

10) Nightwish

11) Thrice

12) Toto

13) Fleetwood Mac (Buckingham/Nicks era)

14) ABBA

15) AFI

Damn. TOTO and ABBA are kind of low on that list................ ? :codger:

Lol...I know I got all huffy the other day...but I have great love for these bands...but...well...ummmm....

Oh, Narpet! I dunno how to reply!

Shall I boot off Toto and replace them with Can? Lol...