NCAA basketball thread 2013-14

laughedatbytime

What a scene in Lincoln!

Nebraska beats Wisconsin 77-68 and clinches the 4 seed (and probably a tourney berth). Which would be richly deserved, they need to be off the bubble....

What a scene in Lincoln!

Nebraska beats Wisconsin 77-68 and clinches the 4 seed (and probably a tourney berth). Which would be richly deserved, they need to be off the bubble....

Court storming sucks, IMO. I was asked to video it anyways (for the place I work), so I stood to the side. But I was on the front row of the student section behind the basket, and it was madness. MADNESS. So much fun.

Nice wins by the Bucks 69-67 over the Spartans. Aaron Craft's home game finale hopefully get some momentum going into the BTT. Don't have my hopes up in a bad year for Ohio State standards, but who knows anything can happen when it's tournament time. :huh:

Why does Robinson take a 3 down 3 in the last minute when he's a 23 percenter for the year (3-13) and hadn't hit one since Groundhog Day.

Missed the game , my youngest daughter called and wanted to go to the Sectional so back to New Castle I went. Richmond pulled away late to beat Pendleton Heights 63-44 (it was 49-44 with 4:00 left) and win their first sectional since class play began in '97.

Tough one for the Devils in next weeks regional as they get Arsenal Tech and Trey Lyles.

Go Richmond...(not gonna root for the guy going to uk....)

He seems like a good kid though , really unselfish but of course they have 3 division 1 recruits in the line up. Looks like it's between him and Bluitt for Mr. Basketball with Blackmon's team already out of the tourney.

Gonna go to the 2A regional at Connersville this Saturday , in game 1 Bluitt's Park Tudor faces Crispus Attucks ..without Oscar Robertson. :D

Why does Robinson take a 3 down 3 in the last minute when he's a 23 percenter for the year (3-13) and hadn't hit one since Groundhog Day.

Missed the game , my youngest daughter called and wanted to go to the Sectional so back to New Castle I went. Richmond pulled away late to beat Pendleton Heights 63-44 (it was 49-44 with 4:00 left) and win their first sectional since class play began in '97.

Tough one for the Devils in next weeks regional as they get Arsenal Tech and Trey Lyles.

He seems like a good kid though , really unselfish but of course they have 3 division 1 recruits in the line up. Looks like it's between him and Bluitt for Mr. Basketball with Blackmon's team already out of the tourney.

Gonna go to the 2A regional at Connersville this Saturday , in game 1 Bluitt's Park Tudor faces Crispus Attucks ..without Oscar Robertson. :D

What's this 2A business?

Ah, the Big O. Still remember filling out the brackets as a kid and seeing those 55 and 56 championships from Oscar and Crispus Attacks (though I wasn't familiar with the back story at the time). The first championship game I (semi) remember seeing was George McGinnis and Indianapolis Washington vs Gary Tolleson (or maybe it was Tolleston). Gary Roosevelt won in 68 and won the semistate final 90-30 (or maybe 92-30). Then there were the back to back wins from teams from East Chicago in 1970 and 1971.

Ahh, the good old days of single class basketball.

What's this 2A business?

Ah, the Big O. Still remember filling out the brackets as a kid and seeing those 55 and 56 championships from Oscar and Crispus Attacks (though I wasn't familiar with the back story at the time). The first championship game I (semi) remember seeing was George McGinnis and Indianapolis Washington vs Gary Tolleson (or maybe it was Tolleston). Gary Roosevelt won in 68 and won the semistate final 90-30 (or maybe 92-30). Then there were the back to back wins from teams from East Chicago in 1970 and 1971.

Ahh, the good old days of single class basketball.

Connersville's first claim to fame was being the only team to beat the Big "O" and Attucks , Oscar got revenge later that year in the semistate.

Speaking of McGinnis he had one of the most impressive stat lines ever in an All Star game versus Kentucky ... something like 53 points and 30 rebounds.

Go Mastadons!

This may be the only realistic chance for an Indiana team to make the field of 68. How embarrassing...

Butler's furious comeback falls short 51-50. They had their chances.

That leaves, I believe, only IU, PU, and Ball State left to avoid an Indianaless tournament.

The Mastodons were the best shot, but they fell just short last night...

The men's basketball season came to a sorry end, after another sorry season. We won 2 SEC tournament games, which was our first tourney win since 2008. We did get Auburn's coach fired, though!

Luckily, the women are in the big tourney, probably a 2 seed, and ranked 7/8 in the polls. Hopefully, they can do us proud.

Good thing baseball is here.

The men's basketball season came to a sorry end, after another sorry season. We won 2 SEC tournament games, which was our first tourney win since 2008. We did get Auburn's coach fired, though!

Luckily, the women are in the big tourney, probably a 2 seed, and ranked 7/8 in the polls. Hopefully, they can do us proud.

Good thing baseball is here.

When losing to you gets a coach fired, that's a pretty damning indictment of your program...

Edited by laughedatbytime

That leaves, I believe, only IU, PU, and Ball State left to avoid an Indianaless tournament.

I think ISU will get in ...maybe.

What do you think of all this out with Crean in with Woodson talk ?

I don't think it's happening. And I don't think Woodson would be a good replacement. The Knight years are over, and bringing them back would be a bad idea IMO.

I don't think it SHOULD happen...Too disruptive to the program and the frosh have shown a lot. TW and SR came on late in the year. I don't know if Noah will go pro, I don't think the last few games have helped his stock at all. This year was a very bad year but I think we need continuity. Another bad year and it's time to start looking maybe but it's far too soon.

Finally, I think Hollowell won't be with the team next year. And, given this year,that's a GOOD thing.

I don't think it's happening. And I don't think Woodson would be a good replacement. The Knight years are over, and bringing them back would be a bad idea IMO.

I don't think it SHOULD happen...Too disruptive to the program and the frosh have shown a lot. TW and SR came on late in the year. I don't know if Noah will go pro, I don't think the last few games have helped his stock at all. This year was a very bad year but I think we need continuity. Another bad year and it's time to start looking maybe but it's far too soon.

Finally, I think Hollowell won't be with the team next year. And, given this year,that's a GOOD thing.

Word is Vonleh is leaning towards the NBA .

In the high school regionals ...Lyles had 18 points and 13 rebounds in a 80-55 whipping of Richmond , they went on to beat Pike in the final.

In the 2A regional Bluitt went for 38 against Attucks in a 87-67 win , they crushed defending regional chanps Speedway in the final 83-50. Trevon had a slow start in the morming game then scored 16 in the 2nd quarter..one of the best perfomances I've ever witnessed live. I think he's better than Blackmon though James was playing better competion.

Word is Vonleh is leaning towards the NBA .

In the high school regionals ...Lyles had 18 points and 13 rebounds in a 80-55 whipping of Richmond , they went on to beat Pike in the final.

In the 2A regional Bluitt went for 38 against Attucks in a 87-67 win , they crushed defending regional chanps Speedway in the final 83-50. Trevon had a slow start in the morming game then scored 16 in the 2nd quarter..one of the best perfomances I've ever witnessed live. I think he's better than Blackmon though James was playing better competion.

I saw the news on Vonleh. On the one hand, we have no bigs worth anything coming back which sounds like a recipe for disaster. On the other hand we played pretty well without Vonleh late in the year.

Glad to see they still play two games the same day. Are there still semistates or do they go from the regionals to the finals these days?

Sounds like Bluitt is similar to Blackmon and Johnson and we already have an entire recruiting class of shooters. Still you want the best. Bluitt's a Xavier signing right?

I always get Trey Lyles, who's going to the Lexington NBDL franchise with JaQuan Lyle (who I don't believe has signed). I think we have his position covered for next year though.

Looking forward to the NIT selection show.

Semistates are one game and they just released what teams are going where , this is the line up for the Richmond semisate.

3A - Guerin Catholic 22-3 vs Greensburg 25-1 (defending champ) 4PM

4A - Aresnal Tech 25-2 vs Bloomington North 16-8 6:30PM

The winners will play for their class championships the following week at Bankers Life.

Guess you know where I'll be.

NIT :facepalm: like we have a chance without Hartman...I forgot he was even on the team. ;)

Yeah Bluitt is going to Xavier.

Semistates are one game and they just released what teams are going where , this is the line up for the Richmond semisate.

The winners will play for their class championships the following week at Bankers Life.

NIT :facepalm: like we have a chance without Hartman...I forgot he was even on the team. ;)

Hartman is no Jeff Howard.

At least UK lost but even then it's only one point to possibly the #1 seed in the whole tournament.

Big Ten seed predictions:

Michigan 2

Michigan State 2

Wisconsin 3

Ohio State 6

Iowa 10

Nebraska 12 (play in)

Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, NIT

#1 seeds...Florida, Arizona State, Wichita State, Virginia...

At least UK lost but even then it's only one point to possibly the #1 seed in the whole tournament.

Michigan 2

Michigan State 2

Wisconsin 3

Ohio State 6

Iowa 10

Nebraska 12 (play in)

Arizona State ?

I forgot to mention that Tech regional title was their first since 1978 with some guy named Landon Turner,

Louisville a 4 seed ? that's crazy. Guess they might as well beat the good teams early.

Michigan 2

Michigan State 2

Wisconsin 3

Ohio State 6

Iowa 10

Nebraska 12 (play in)

Arizona State ?

I forgot to mention that Tech regional title was their first since 1978 with some guy named Landon Turner,

Louisville a 4 seed ? that's crazy. Guess they might as well beat the good teams early.

I meant Arizona obviously, just typing too fast and anticipating Wichita State.

I remember Turner at Tech.

Yep, I thought they were just placed there in case UK gets past the Shockers. It was a ridiculously low seed for them, but the AAC seemed to get dissed, and the A10 overrated. I'd be surprised to see even 1 of their 6 teams get to the Sweet 16 though I'll be rooting for Mo Creek.

Sparty is way underseeded too.

Edited by laughedatbytime

No NIT for IU .

Just as well. Don't see how the Illini can get a #2 and the Hoosiers nothing, though.

Hope they turn down the CBI.

No NIT for IU .

Just as well. Don't see how the Illini can get a #2 and the Hoosiers nothing, though.

Hope they turn down the CBI.

And they did...no CBI per Fred Glass.

• Like 1

NEBRASKETBALL.

Our Spring Break starts this weekend, and I'm going to home to Dallas. So, I'll be there in San Antone. Possible covering.