New Dream Theater album "DREAM THEATER poll, what's the verdict?

treeduck

How good is the new Dream Theater album?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the new DT album called "Dream Theater"?

• 10 out of 10! Clearly the greatest Dream Theater album of them all without question!
    • I give it 9 out of 10, an excellent album one of their very best and no mistake!
    • I'll say 8 out of 10, it's very good, just not quite up to old DT standards, enjoyable though and impressive.
    • I'll give it a 7, it's pretty good and has moments of excellence
    • 6 out of 10, it's not bad overall and I really like two or three of the songs.
    • 5 it's average prog metal by numbers, one or two songs are passable
    • It's a 4 out of 10 score for me, a very weak album and a far cry from the top DT albums. I liked one track though.
    • Absolutely poor, 3/10! A worthless album for me. I'll never listen to it again, it's a coaster.
    • I'll give it a 2 it's probably among the worst albums of DT's career, if not the worst
    • Terrible! A turgid shitfest! A bum-f***ing for the eardrums! 1/10
    • Abysmal, 0 out 10! It's hideous and pathetic! A rancid ear infection of an audio experience, the kind that makes you spew rotted bowel matter through your nose!
    • I give it poop on a stick out of 10. Poop for poop! Shit in your ears for 25 years!

Right now, I'd say 8/10. Overall it's good and there are some fantastic moments, but the epic isn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Granted, this is only after 3 listens, so I'm going to have to wait a while to see if it grows on me.

The album really did surpass my expectations after being let down by the two singles (both of which I now like in the context of the album).

After two listens, I'm going to say 9/10. As a whole, I personally find it to be better than ADTOE, and their best album since Octavarium. It's definitely an album that I'd prefer to listen the whole way through (though I do that with any album nowadays). Out of the 12 studio albums, it's currently in the middle, surpassed only by the usual favorites (I&W, Awake, SFOM, and SDOIT with Octavarium rounding out my top 5).

7/10. In my actual impression I gave it 6.5....but it's closer to 7 than a 6.

It's good. But not near their best work.....and absolutely not better than their first outing with Mangini.

It's solid.

7/10 for me.

It's weird, but I'm hearing all kinds of nods to their earlier works throughout this thing. Like a specific soundbank of Jordan's or some notes that are close to a lead in another song but not quite. The opening suite has parts of 6DOIT in it, but I've heard stuff that sounds like it could be on Awake, SC, and somewhere on there sounds a bit like the main theme of Octavarium.

The ending part of Enigma Machine sounds a lot like the ending of The Dance of Eternity to me, and the 4 note repeating lead during it sounds a lot like the 4 note repeating lead in Erotomania. I wonder if the two are supposed to be connected somehow? I like the song, but think it shows up a little early in the album. It'd probably fit better if placed 6th or 7th instead of 4th IMO.

Best Songs: The Enemy Inside, Through The Looking Glass, Surrender to Reason (awesome choruses in this!), Along for the Ride, & Illumination Theory. Very solid effort, but it's probably impossible to top something like SFAM or Awake at this stage in the game.

A good 8. Their best since Octavarium, and Along For The Ride is their best ballad in years.

Pete, what score do you give each of the albums since the big Ock?

I did like Systematic & Black Clouds, in around the 6.5/7 mark. ADTOE is a 5. Oct is an 8.

What score would you give Train of Thought!?

I'll get my copy next week, there's no RUSH! :coffee:

Have you guys checked out the CD boo klet nyet? I think the pict ure on the page where The Looking Glass lyrics are alludes to thePower Windows cover.

Yeah man! I noticed that right away too. It makes sense since TTLG is Rush influenced and I think the DT core's first Rush concert together was the Power Windows tour.

A good 8. Their best since Octavarium, and Along For The Ride is their best ballad in years.

I did like Systematic & Black Clouds, in around the 6.5/7 mark. ADTOE is a 5. Oct is an 8.

It's a 6, a bit too shouty in parts. They were trying a bit too hard for that one.

It's a 6, a bit too shouty in parts. They were trying a bit too hard for that one.

I quite like it myself it's good for the old air guitar stupidity, although John is a bit too much of a fast picker as opposed to a legato freak, fast air picking makes my wrist tired! :blink:

I am in love with just over half of this album, and it doesn't seem to be fading. Definitely better than ADToE. I can't wait to pick up a vinyl copy! :)

My favourite track right now is "The Bigger Picture". The solo section is sublime. (That drum pattern Mangini does fits perfectly and it gives me goosebumps.)

I am in love with just over half of this album, and it doesn't seem to be fading. Definitely better than ADToE. I can't wait to pick up a vinyl copy! :)

My favourite track right now is "The Bigger Picture". The solo section is sublime. (That drum pattern Mangini does fits perfectly and it gives me goosebumps.)

Everything from the solo onward in The Bigger Picture is great. The first part of the song is good but from the solo on it really develops into something great. I love the big epic feel the second part of the song has.

I'll give the album an 8 right now. That can change since it's one of those albums that gets better with each listen. Besides the nod to Rush in The Looking Glass, I get a very Rushy feeling when listening to Surrender To Reason as well.

Gonna try and remember to pick this one up tomorrow... really behind on new releases. From this year I still need the new Big Big Train, Mike Portnoy's Winery Dogs CD, the new Haken album, Anathema's "Universal" live record, and the new Queensryche (La Torre) album

I am enjoying this even more.....7 full listens now.....it has grown even more on me.

But Illumination Theory may very well be my least favorite track.....LOL.

I absolutely love:

The Looking Glass

Behind The Veil

The Bigger Picture

Surrender to Reason

The Enemy Inside

Enigma Machine is a nice instrumental and Along For The Ride is growing on me rapidly.

I give it 8. What kicks for me is that it sounds a bit fresh and new, possible due to the Rush nods. Also very good to finally hear Myung again.

Cool Alexesque solo in Surrender to Reason. When the band kicks in on Behind the Veil kicks it is übercool!

I also like Mangini on this album.

• Like 1