New Dream Theater album "DREAM THEATER poll, what's the verdict?

treeduck

How good is the new Dream Theater album?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the new DT album called "Dream Theater"?

• 10 out of 10! Clearly the greatest Dream Theater album of them all without question!
    • I give it 9 out of 10, an excellent album one of their very best and no mistake!
    • I'll say 8 out of 10, it's very good, just not quite up to old DT standards, enjoyable though and impressive.
    • I'll give it a 7, it's pretty good and has moments of excellence
    • 6 out of 10, it's not bad overall and I really like two or three of the songs.
    • 5 it's average prog metal by numbers, one or two songs are passable
    • It's a 4 out of 10 score for me, a very weak album and a far cry from the top DT albums. I liked one track though.
    • Absolutely poor, 3/10! A worthless album for me. I'll never listen to it again, it's a coaster.
    • I'll give it a 2 it's probably among the worst albums of DT's career, if not the worst
    • Terrible! A turgid shitfest! A bum-f***ing for the eardrums! 1/10
    • Abysmal, 0 out 10! It's hideous and pathetic! A rancid ear infection of an audio experience, the kind that makes you spew rotted bowel matter through your nose!
    • I give it poop on a stick out of 10. Poop for poop! Shit in your ears for 25 years!

I think my problem with Illumination Theory is I really like the first 2 parts, then the strings- though good- kind of bog it down, then it kicks into the other awesome Necromancer-esque part which rules. From there we revisit the 1st section riff again (another good thing) and then the slower part which while good could probably do with less "WHOOAHH OHHH OHH OHHH!"'s from James to really make it killer. The very end bit with piano and guitar is awesome.

So most of this song is killer, the strings are kind of out of place, and too many WHOOOAHH's at the ending.

I think my problem with Illumination Theory is I really like the first 2 parts, then the strings- though good- kind of bog it down, then it kicks into the other awesome Necromancer-esque part which rules. From there we revisit the 1st section riff again (another good thing) and then the slower part which while good could probably do with less "WHOOAHH OHHH OHH OHHH!"'s from James to really make it killer. The very end bit with piano and guitar is awesome.

So most of this song is killer, the strings are kind of out of place, and too many WHOOOAHH's at the ending.

The strings are a bit out of joint, but man is that section beautiful! Its moving and emotional. Honestly I think JP has a brilliant stand alone classical piece in that. He should write an expanded version of that piece and release it as its own entity, That's how I feel.

The strings are a bit out of joint, but man is that section beautiful! Its moving and emotional. Honestly I think JP has a brilliant stand alone classical piece in that. He should write an expanded version of that piece and release it as its own entity, That's how I feel.

I'm assuming you meant to say JR?

What a grower....really....what a grower.

I am loving the album now. It took some time to digest it fully.

Another outstanding effort by DT.

8.5/10

My top 5 fav's currently in order:

1) The Looking Glass

2) Surrender to Reason

3) Behind The Veil

4) The Bigger Picture

5) The Enemy Inside

• Like 1

I'm assuming you meant to say JR?

No I'm not. John Petruci wrote the classical section of that song. Its a piece that was in his head for quite some time.

What a grower....really....what a grower.

I am loving the album now. It took some time to digest it fully.

Another outstanding effort by DT.

8.5/10

1) The Looking Glass

2) Surrender to Reason

3) Behind The Veil

4) The Bigger Picture

5) The Enemy Inside

I agree

Right now, I'd say 8/10. Overall it's good and there are some fantastic moments, but the epic isn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Granted, this is only after 3 listens, so I'm going to have to wait a while to see if it grows on me.

The album really did surpass my expectations after being let down by the two singles (both of which I now like in the context of the album).

Hey strangers! Wet Dream Theater Hater checking in!!!

Hope all is well! Life is good on my end!

Just had to check in to tell you all that I think this is their best album since "Scenes." Better than "Falling Into Infinity."

This album is so melodic, so easy to listen too. "The Looking Glass" is so slick. Reminds me of Eighties Rush. Then when the next track kicks in I instantly hear "Tai Shan."

The last track on the album is an EPIC MASTERPIECE. I love the orchestration section in the middle of the song. It's emotion. It's moving. It's their best album in a long ass time. The absence of Mike Port"annoy" has finally turned this band in a mature meaningful band. Hell I might even have to hit up this tour.

This album gets a big phat fukking A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

10/10

Are you guys shocked?

I am.

I love this fuckking record. Very Rush synth to my ears.

I knew this one would draw you out Earl :hi: Wish you would blitz here like the old days :blaze:

1) The Looking Glass

2) Surrender to Reason

3) Behind The Veil

4) The Bigger Picture

5) The Enemy Inside

When that chorus vocal melody/solo kicks in for TLG - WOW!! Chill inducing!! Yes I'm finally giving it up for DT, especially on shit as majestic as this. Well when it's a mixture of the genius of Limelight and Entre Nous what do you expect. I can't stop listening to it. 70s prog snobs are really missing out.

• Like 1

Right now, I'd say 8/10. Overall it's good and there are some fantastic moments, but the epic isn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Granted, this is only after 3 listens, so I'm going to have to wait a while to see if it grows on me.

The album really did surpass my expectations after being let down by the two singles (both of which I now like in the context of the album).

Just had to check in to tell you all that I think this is their best album since "Scenes." Better than "Falling Into Infinity."

This album is so melodic, so easy to listen too. "The Looking Glass" is so slick. Reminds me of Eighties Rush. Then when the next track kicks in I instantly hear "Tai Shan."

The last track on the album is an EPIC MASTERPIECE. I love the orchestration section in the middle of the song. It's emotion. It's moving. It's their best album in a long ass time. The absence of Mike Port"annoy" has finally turned this band in a mature meaningful band. Hell I might even have to hit up this tour.

10/10

Are you guys shocked?

I am.

I knew this one would draw you out Earl :hi: Wish you would blitz here like the old days :blaze:

10/10

Are you guys shocked?

I am.

Holy shit my good friend from a distant shore! I just watched the new DT video "The Enemy Inside!" It's beyond incredible. It's all about the troops who serve overseas! It's amazing! Almost shed a tear!

The video reminded me of the cable TV show "Homeland!"

I have bashed this band on here for years but finally they hit a grand slam with this one!

It's my "Album Of The Year" so far and we are in October. The greatest month of the year!

I only have a few close friends on here and you are one of them Steve. I hope we can meet some year.

I still have your Cinderella Tour Book of course!

YOU ROCK!

DREAM THEATER RULES!!!! MIKE PORTANNOY IS DESPERATE!!!!! LOL!

CHEERS AND BEERS!!

• Like 2

1) The Looking Glass

2) Surrender to Reason

3) Behind The Veil

4) The Bigger Picture

5) The Enemy Inside

When that chorus vocal melody/solo kicks in for TLG - WOW!! Chill inducing!! Yes I'm finally giving it up for DT, especially on shit as majestic as this. Well when it's a mixture of the genius of Limelight and Entre Nous what do you expect. I can't stop listening to it. 70s prog snobs are really missing out.

We are brothers separated by a shitload of water. Hahaha!

"The Looking Glass" is absolutely AMAZING!

• Like 1

Finally bought the record yesterday and went to the gym this morning listening to it. I can´t stop listening to it! Illumination Theory is an absolute masterpiece...and the first song that caught my attention to the point of already memorizing the lyrics is The Looking Glass. Petrucci´s solo in it hits me on the right spot! Along for the Ride is a great ballad, MUCH better than any ballad they have done in the past 8-10 years. The Bigger Picture has echoes of Fish-era Marillion...I can´t wait for the tour to begin!

Finally bought the record yesterday and went to the gym this morning listening to it. I can´t stop listening to it! Illumination Theory is an absolute masterpiece...and the first song that caught my attention to the point of already memorizing the lyrics is The Looking Glass. Petrucci´s solo in it hits me on the right spot! Along for the Ride is a great ballad, MUCH better than any ballad they have done in the past 8-10 years. The Bigger Picture has echoes of Fish-era Marillion...I can´t wait for the tour to begin!

I missed them when they toured down under, I won't next time (could be a fine chance though). I need to give Illumination Theory a few more goes, it didn't impress me so much as older epics. Many thanks to TRF for making the case with these guys, I've heard about them of course for years but never really bothered with them. I'm cherry picking through their back catalogue I have to admit, but a couple of albums/dvds are must-haves so yeah!

I still haven't got my copy yet! :facepalm:

Amazon haven't even bothered to post it in fact. They're too busy filing their nails or something... :smash:

Why do you order CDs like this online anyways? I get it if it's something rare that you won't be able to find at a store. But something like the new Dream Theater would be available in most places that have a decent CD selection. Surely, there has to be stores within reasonable driving distance where you can pick up the album when it comes out.

• Like 1

Amazon haven't even bothered to post it in fact. They're too busy filing their nails or something... :smash:

Why do you order CDs like this online anyways? I get it if it's something rare that you won't be able to find at a store. But something like the new Dream Theater would be available in most places that have a decent CD selection. Surely, there has to be stores within reasonable driving distance where you can pick up the album when it comes out.

Most shops over here don't even sell CDs these days never mind Dream Theater CDs!

Most shops over here don't even sell CDs these days never mind Dream Theater CDs!

Can you not iTune it or something more nefarious and illegal, while you wait for the stork to arrive. It's worth it.

Can you not iTune it or something more nefarious and illegal, while you wait for the stork to arrive. It's worth it.

I could do but I like to test my will power now and again. :sundog:

I guess things are different over in England when it comes to that. In my area there's a few Best Buys and one local record store I can go to get most of the new releases I want.