A Farewell to Kings anniversary thread

Blue J

Ahh, I love this record. Those times that I may get away from listening to Rush for a couple of weeks, or a month (yes, that does happen, but not so often these days)- the song I'll dig out and put on first, to jump back into Rush again, is almost always the title track to this album. I don't know why.

Four or five of the six songs on this album are masterpieces!

• Like 1

My least favorite of the prog era Rush is still one of my favorite records. I love the use of nylon strings and classical guitar sounds to paint a much different backdrop than we had in 2112 or CoS. The first 3 songs go as well together as any 3 songs on any Rush album. The last 3 are still good, but nothing matches those first 3 for me. Edited by LedRush
  • Like 2

This was the first album of theirs that I bought and Xanadu was the first Rush song I ever heard. So it definitely holds a special place in my heart.
  • Like 1

Ah, my second favorite album of theirs (and the second one I owned). I don't usually pick individual songs off this one, they deserve to be played in order. I also don't play the album much, as it has to be saved for special moments.
  • Like 1

Can't recall an album that made me want the NEXT album to come out the day after AFTK. That "to be continued" note after Cygnus X-1 had me both excited and p-o'd they were making me wait!

Same here. AFTK was the "new album" when I first got into Rush. My friends and I would check the record bin at least once a week in the hopes that the next album would be out. I remember he called me one day, all breathless, and said, "I saw the new Rush album at the store today -- it's called Styx!"

:LOL:

I love the music of Xanadu...especially at a hockey game! Closer to the Heart is a great single, and Cygnus has great musical moments. Madrigal, Cinderella Man and the title track are ones I usually skip. While the music is good to great, I struggle with the lyrics and themes of this album...

I remember getting it day-of-release from town and eagerly sitting in the bus shelter poring over the lyrics and the cover. As soon as I got home and the needle hit the grooves I was in thrall to this album forever.

Just listened to the 5.1 version from sectors , I really like the mix , but the epics really stand out (Xanadu and Cygnus) the rest is good as well but cinderella man seems forced like it always does , surround mix notwithstanding.

Just listened to the 5.1 version from sectors , I really like the mix , but the epics really stand out (Xanadu and Cygnus) the rest is good as well but cinderella man seems forced like it always does , surround mix notwithstanding.

You're right about the epics in 5.1. There is so much more atmosphere on an album that already had a great atmosphere.

Also my first "new release" Rush album. Still my favorite studio album to this day. After listening to it over and over I certainly waited for Hemispheres with great excitement and curiosity. It sure didn't let me down. Great memories for sure. The best music they ever made in my opinion.
  • Like 1

When I got the sectors sets, I listened to them all the way through, beginning with their debut album. When I got to A Farewell to Kings, after having just listened to the previous albums, I was blown away at how much they had progressed as musicians. I became a Rush fan with Hold Your Fire, so I missed the 70's prog era, but for those of you fortunate enough to have experienced it, it must've been so cool hearing such monumental technical leaps with each new release.
  • Like 1

I can't imagine what it would have been like to be a fan from the beginning and opening up Caress Of Steel and listening to it for the first time. Now that would have been something I would think.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to be a fan from the beginning and opening up Caress Of Steel and listening to it for the first time. Now that would have been something I would think.

Yes it would have been something like, Wow this is nothing like Fly By Night....This really sucks! :P

Yes it would have been something like, Wow this is nothing like Fly By Night....This really sucks! :P

He said "Caress", not "Counterparts".