Best concert you have ever seen? Also, best concert experience?

hobo73

...these can be 2 very different things.

The best concert I have ever been to, hands down, my first Rush show last month. So amazing. I don't think I really need to explain why!!

:rush: :Neil: :Alex: :geddy: :yes:

Best concert experience was, after travelling around to see Cheap Trick, one show Rick started talking to me over the microphone, throwing me guitar picks all night and getting *mildly* flirty lmao.

Then after the show I took a chance and called out to the bassist Tom Petersson, not exactly expecting a response.

He walked right on over to me and I was face with him, my brain instantly turned to mush >.<

He was so nice!!!! He made me beg for his pick, though. He smirked the whole time lmao.

Since then he has personally given me another pick, I've made necklaces out of them both :)

• Like 2

Actually, the best show I've ever seen is Harry Connick, Jr. on the Come By Me tour. He is a fantastic performer. He told great stories between songs. He even did a soft shoe number on the piano.

While I've had many great times at concerts, I'd have to say the best was at The Stones' 40 Licks tour. In the middle of the show they did a set on a "satellite" stage which was about 10 feet from our seats.

• Like 2

Best Concerts:

This is tough. I guess this would be my top 5:

Steven Wilson - April 2012

Rush - Madison Square Gardens 2011 (4th row, Geddy's side!)

Marillion - NYC 2012 (first night, didn't attend second night)

Änglagård - NEARFest 2012

Porcupine Tree - Radio City Music Hall 2010

I'm sure Anathema will make this list after I see them next month!

Best concert experiences

I've never really had any experiences along the lines of getting picks, interacting with bands, etc., so these are some individual songs/moments that stood out the most for me.

Marillion playing Ocean Cloud live in NYC last year. That's in my top 3 favorite Marillion songs, and I was 99% sure they wouldn't play it. I even mentioned to the guy next to me that I'd love to see it but wasn't going to get my hopes up. Sure enough, they played it. It was phenomenal.

Van der Graaf Generator playing Childlike Faith in Childhood's End last year at NEARFest. Peter Hammill's voice may not have the same range as he used to, but the power, passion, and emotion is all still there. I had goosebumps during this song.

Marco Minneman's drum solo with The Aristocrats a few weeks ago. Holy shit...mindblowing.

Steven Wilson last April. At the end of the show, when he and the band were playing The Raven That Refused to Sing (the song) all the band members walked off the stage, leaving Adam Holzman to play the melody on the piano, with the spotlight shining on him. Pretty amazing and emotional moment for everyone at the show, I think.

Seeing Buddy Guy a couple of years ago was really great too. He's a living legend who still has it. I'm not too familiar with all of his stuff, but there were a few solos that were pretty intense. And he was really loud too.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ
  • Like 3

From recent memory.....The Sword and Torche, absolutely killer show. They were both LOUD , but you could hear everything really clearly.

Back in i believe 92 or 93, saw Rage against the Machine at what was an old hockey rink. The AC wasnt working for whatever reason, middle of summer, and the place was just insane..we had balcony seats, and the whole floor, and i mean EVERYOBODY, was moshing...it was just so extreme. I also saw Pantera at the same venue on the Vulgar Display tour, ripped out of my mind, stumbling around the arena, and jumping into the pit at various times...I woke up out in woods near the arena the next morning..complete Metal blackout

I have so many great concert memories...those were the days

Oh and i believe the loudest show i ever saw was Ministry...sometime in the mid 90s..just beyond brutal

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

The best concert I've ever been to is obviously Rush. But besides that, I saw The Romantics, Blondie, and Pat Benetar at the Orange County fair a couple years ago and I had a lot of fun. I also enjoyed my first concert, which was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers! I was obsessed with them when I was in 3rd grade, so it was really special to see them.
  • Like 1

if I can't even answer this, I'd imagine some of the older folks here who have been going to shows since the 70s would have a harder time

My first concert was 1979 (Cheap Trick & Blue Oyster Cult) and I've been to a few hundred since then so yeah, it's hard to choose ;)

I do have to say that one of my best experiences ever, and a very good performance to boot, was one of the times I saw Rush this past tour... I was with a good friend at the Chicago show in June. We were front row center and had such a great time! Rush is the favourite band of both of us, and we were both singing, jumping around, and completely getting into the show. I find really getting into it like that makes for such a better experience than just sitting/standing and watching the band.

• Like 1

From recent memory.....The Sword and Torche, absolutely killer show. They were both LOUD , but you could hear everything really clearly.

Back in i believe 92 or 93, saw Rage against the Machine at what was an old hockey rink. The AC wasnt working for whatever reason, middle of summer, and the place was just insane..we had balcony seats, and the whole floor, and i mean EVERYOBODY, was moshing...it was just so extreme. I also saw Pantera at the same venue on the Vulgar Display tour, ripped out of my mind, stumbling around the arena, and jumping into the pit at various times...I woke up out in woods near the arena the next morning..complete Metal blackout

I have so many great concert memories...those were the days

Oh and i believe the loudest show i ever saw was Ministry...sometime in the mid 90s..just beyond brutal

BAD. ASS.

I love The Sword. Absolutely amazing. Yes.

hahaha been in the mosh pit once when I was 15. my mom stayed in the balcony and was the chaperone to me and my friends lol.

A guy in a spandex dress kept pushing me (and trying to get somewhat frisky, me being the rebellious teen wore a miniskirt and immediately regretted it LOL)- at one point I turned around and punched him as hard as humanly possible in the nads. Yeah...he left me alone after that.... :D

Then later my friend was like "Eryn...is....is that your mom?!"- my mom was in the pit!! Getting absolutely pummeled. After the show she said she was worried and wanted to make her way over to us. she said "How can you enjoy this??" oh yeah I loved being so dehydrated after the show that I slammed my mom's fresh beer in about 2 seconds LOL.

Juuuuuust starting to have Ministry's music grow on me. They're very good ;)

if I can't even answer this, I'd imagine some of the older folks here who have been going to shows since the 70s would have a harder time

My first concert was 1979 (Cheap Trick & Blue Oyster Cult) and I've been to a few hundred since then so yeah, it's hard to choose ;)

I do have to say that one of my best experiences ever, and a very good performance to boot, was one of the times I saw Rush this past tour... I was with a good friend at the Chicago show in June. We were front row center and had such a great time! Rush is the favourite band of both of us, and we were both singing, jumping around, and completely getting into the show. I find really getting into it like that makes for such a better experience than just sitting/standing and watching the band.

Agree about getting into the music ;) <3

—saw BOC open for Cheap Trick when I was 17, both bands were stellar!! =D

Best concert is Rush of course ;)

In my younger days I was into Korn, Papa Roach and such. Once went to an after party with Papa Roach after a show, and chatted with the singer for the second time in my life. Best concert experience is a tough question though. Nowadays I'm not animated at all mostly standing still with hands in my pocket, and just intensely listening. Ten years ago I would be the first into the mosh pit. Don't know how the mosh pit milieu is in america, but in Denmark people are incredibly nice to each other. If somebody accidentally knocks you over, he'd be the first to give you a hand and help you up. Is somebody couldn't see past you because you're 6,2" you'd give them a place in front of you. Been a long time since I've been a mosh pit, so I do hope it hasn't changed for the worse.

I guess I would say one of the best concert experiences was when I went to a concert with P.O.D. Didn't know them that well, and they had The Lost Prophets and Skindred opening for them. During Skindred they had the whole place in their hands. The singer tells everybody to get down on the floor, and literally everybody is staying completely low, and when he said GO everybody jumped up and went crazy. That was a great experience. At one point we were around 10 rows of people falling on our asses :D

Met the singer from Skindred before P.O.D went on, and he made a drawing on the back on my white shirt. Too bad I don't have that anymore. P.O.D sucked though.

Man, it's great to reminiscence. I was such a little metalhead :haz:

• Like 1

Best Concert - Metallica: Justice Tour / Dylan: Time out of Mind Tour / Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes Tour...and others I can't remember for now, impossible to name just one.

Best Concert Experience - Metallica on Justice Tour. Front row centre-right, small venue. Caught drumstick, met them backstage, signed stuff. Perfect when they were at their peak. Never been able to top that.

Edited by Steevo

Midnight Oil at the Avalon in Boston. I was at the front, about 3 feet away from Peter Garett's 6-11" going nuts to all kinds of awesome songs from Redneck Wonderland, Power and the Passion, No Time for Games, Hercules... What an amazing live band they were.

http://therawgallery.com/en/wp-content/uploads/PM-MidnightOil011.jpg

• Like 2

Met the singer from Skindred before P.O.D went on, and he made a drawing on the back on my white shirt. Too bad I don't have that anymore. P.O.D sucked though.

Man, it's great to reminiscence. I was such a little metalhead :haz:

Love Skindred!

• Like 1

Best concert- Kiss Reunion Tour 96 at The Omini(no longer there) in Atlanta,Ga. Took my youngest daughter.

Best experience-Dream Theater at the Tabernacle in Atlanta,Ga.Closest I've every been to see anybody,stood right up against the stage in front of John Petrucci.

• Like 1

The Replacements - The Ritz June 26, 1986. It was Bob Stinson's last show with the band.

f**k. That is cooler than a snowman's balls.

My friend and I were as inebriated as the band. As I remember it, it was a ramshackled show, mostly cover songs, with on-stage pranks, the audience mostly being the butt of the jokes. I distinctly remember Paul and Tommy school boying a member of the audience they invited on-stage. The most vivid musical moment was the worst cover of "Mississippi Queen" I have ever heard. I didn't know it was Bob Stinson's last show until several years ago when my friend pointed it out to me.

• Like 1

One of them is my first concert ever.....1978 The Isley Brothers with Teddy Pendergrass opening . They were at their peak on their Go For Your Guns Tour sold out Capital Centre Landover MD. Everything was perfect, lighting, sond and their performance. The next week I saw KISS and I was hooked to rock music ever since I think I severly damaged my hearing from that show.

Next would be Talking Heads in Hampton VA on their Burning Down The House Tour. Then ACDC, i worked at the time waiting tables at Eenny's and I waited on both of them after their shows.

Rolling Stones World Tour ended in Hampton VA 1981 I think it was in December just before school was out for the holidays. That was the Start Me U Tour

Pink Floyd 1973 at Roosevelt Stadium NJ. Good friends, good :smoke: quad sound and they opened with Obscured By Cloud. Incredible night!!! I still have my ticket stub ( the original date was rained out ).

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0147.jpg

• Like 2

Best experience is probably first real concert I ever attended. It was van Halen on the diver down tour with opening act joe whiting and the bandit band. The opening act was booed off stage very quickly since they came out with a sax player and seemed to be playing retro music. The fans wanted none of that. I honestly never really heard the music the boos were so loud. Dec 8, 1982 was the date. Went to the concert with the 2 girls I spent most of high school dating off and on. Had a great time and hit a ton of shows throughout the rest of high school but this was the first.

Best concert? Really hard to say. Probably r30 but I've seen some good ones. Maiden on piece of mind tour with quiet riot. Ozzy with Crüe. Sabbath with gillan. U2 on Joshua tree tour. Pink Floyd on momentary lapse of reason which was a huge outdoor arena show in old Tampa stadium. And more. I can't remember some....

• Like 1

The Replacements - The Ritz June 26, 1986. It was Bob Stinson's last show with the band.

f**k. That is cooler than a snowman's balls.

:yes:

Best concert? The Beastie Boys in 87 with Fishbone was pretty intense. Front row for R30 was awesome. And I remember the guys being on fire at the UC during Vapor Trails.

Best experience? Last June when I took my 9 year old daughter to see the CA tour with me. I never thought Rush is something I would be able to share with my kids. :)

• Like 2

Pink Floyd on momentary lapse of reason which was a huge outdoor arena show in old Tampa stadium. And more. I can't remember some....

Oh yeah, I saw that tour, was nearly my first stadium show so was pretty much blown away. There's so many and so many faves from different times and they all rule for different reasons!...Nearly all my concerts were fantastic, just can't choose...The Cure front row a few years back, White Stripes on the Elephant tour...Tool on the Laterlaus tour, Motorhead on the 1916 tour, just so many class acts with great memories all...