Chicken and waffles - WTF?

Mara

Can someone please explain to me the fuss over fried chicken and waffles? I know it's not new; it's a soul food thing. We've had Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles here in Atlanta for about 15 years. But now it's gotten hugely trendy.

I like fried chicken. I like waffles. Never has it occurred to me to pair the two in one meal. Someone said it's the salty and sweet thing. Well OK, why not sausage and waffles, a combination that makes actual sense? Or if you're just totally shot up the ass to pair salty and sweet - just dump the syrup directly on the fried chicken. No need to try to legitimize it by lamely tossing a waffle on the plate.

Some of this salty/sweet shit just goes too damn far, like the Krispy Kreme cheeseburger. Not that it's a harbinger of the downfall of Western civilization or anything, but there are some stomach-churning combos out there.

• Like 2

Still not even in the ballpark with these: (1) Japan's idea of pizza toppings often involves tuna, mayo, and a fried egg [i'm sure you like that as much as I do Mara], (2) Korea's idea of a last minute souvenir as you split the airport--->chocolate covered kimchee...it's not nearly as bad as the J-pizza I just mentioned but obviously it's not good.

The earliest American chicken and waffle combination appears in Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 1600’s, when home cooks made waffles and topped them with pulled chicken and gravy. A different, decidedly soul food-inspired approach to the pairing worked its way into popular culture much later with the opening of Wells Supper Club in Harlem, New York. The restaurant, known simply as “Wells” to regulars, opened in 1938. Wells became a late night hotspot for jazz musicians, who would stop by late at night after their various gigs. The musicians, arriving too late for dinner but too early for breakfast, enjoyed the appetizing compromise of fried chicken and waffles. Before long, Wells was frequented by the likes of Sammy Davis Jr. and Nat King Cole (who held his wedding reception there). [/Quote]

I love chocolate covered pretzels.... salty and sweet...

McNuggets had a honey dipping sauce (dunno if they still do) when I was growing up and that is all I would get. I loved the fried chicken in the honey. Never once have I had chicken and waffles though. I guess it would be good. I still like chicken with honey... add a biscuit, and there you go :)

I just never go to McDonalds anymore.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

When I was younger I used to LOVE to eat bacon and pancakes together, loaded with syrup. I discovered it one morning at grandma's house when I went totally overboard pouring syrup and it went all over the plate and covered my bacon.

I have yet to try chicken and waffles but it actually sounds pretty damn good.

• Like 1

When I was younger I used to LOVE to eat bacon and pancakes together, loaded with syrup. I discovered it one morning at grandma's house when I went totally overboard pouring syrup and it went all over the plate and covered my bacon.

I have yet to try chicken and waffles but it actually sounds pretty damn good.

I like syrup on breakfast sausage too. Heck, Johnsonville even makes a maple syrup breakfast sausage... dunno why you'd want that though when you can do it yourself if you really wanted to.

• Like 1

McDonalds should offer a McGriddle with chicken instead of sausage or bacon.

I thought they had something like that at one time. Like I said, I don't eat there, but I see the commercials....

The hipsters who are scarfing this shit down probably think its new.

Up here in New England, I've never heard of fried chicken and waffles together.

And I hope this is the last time I ever do. Egads.

One of my good friends from the south side of Chicago told me "that's food you eat after the club". So I guess it's best when your hammered, or really buzzed.

The hipsters who are scarfing this shit down probably think its new.

Up here in New England, I've never heard of fried chicken and waffles together.

And I hope this is the last time I ever do. Egads.

I don't recall ever hearing about this food combo before either. Of course here in Buffalo it's all about the chicken wings. Every region has their own thing when it comes to food.

I think fried chicken and waffles sounds really interesting to at least try once - and maybe while I'm in the Carolinas next week I'll try order it - even if it's Donny's or IHIP.

The closest thing I've had so far is the Chicken & Waffle potato chips from L this year. Didn't like 'em at all though. Maybe a c&w potato chip is taking it a little too far.

I think fried chicken and waffles sounds really interesting to at least try once - and maybe while I'm in the Carolinas next week I'll try order it - even if it's Donny's or IHIP.

The closest thing I've had so far is the Chicken & Waffle potato chips from L this year. Didn't like 'em at all though. Maybe a c&w potato chip is taking it a little too far.

Well, once you start mixing in potatoes, everything gets shot.