Which songs/parts of songs give you chills?

theanalogmiddleagedman

I just heard The Spirit of Radio and I always get the chills in the beginning. I think it is my favorite song just from the excitement it evokes.

The intro to Entre Nous , 2112 Finale and Countdown are 3 other songs I can think of off the top of my head that do the same.

Just curious.

• Like 1

I get happy shivers of joy when the guitar solo in The Camera Eye finishes up and goes into Geddy singing those last lines. Especially on the Time Machine version.

theanalogmiddleagedman, you must have been just a few seats to my left at Saratoga! WHAT A NIGHT! :rush:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/9241479112_7ab8bf748f.jpg

Alex and Geddy by GeddysMullet, on Flickr

• Like 1

That's me in my Test for Echo shirt. It was the best night ever. It is funny how close our pictures of Geddy and Alex are.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag20/trusso123/858b2563-06a4-4984-a332-15652ad3fe8b_zps5e16ed2c.jpg

The Anarchist ('Grows around me like a cage'), Jacob's Ladder ('Shifting shafts of shining'), Camera Eye (all of it!), Xanadu (all of that one too) and Earthshine (especially the choruses).
  • Like 2

I just heard The Spirit of Radio and I always get the chills in the beginning. I think it is my favorite song just from the excitement it evokes.

The intro to Entre Nous , 2112 Finale and Countdown are 3 other songs I can think of off the top of my head that do the same.

Just curious.

Grand Finale and Countdown for me too and as somebody also said the chorus from Earthshine (especially live). I'd add:guitar solo at the end of Different Stringsin the middle of Secret Touch when Alex has his "solo" and Geddy comes in on the bass (makes the house shake)when the three of them just go nuts in Freewill, By-Tor, and CaravanDrivenWitch HuntAlex's solo in La Villa (I get chills then tears)The first few notes of any of their concertsI gotta go put a sweater on

Let's try that again so it doesn't look like stream of consciousness.

Grand Finale and Countdown for me too and as somebody also said the chorus from Earthshine (especially live).

I'd add:

guitar solo at the end of Different Strings

in the middle of Secret Touch when Alex has his "solo" and Geddy comes in on the bass (makes the house shake)

when the three of them just go nuts in Freewill, By-Tor, and Caravan

Driven

Witch Hunt

Alex's solo in La Villa (I get chills then tears)

The first few notes of any of their concerts

I gotta go put a sweater on

The Garden, the complete song

The Violin part of Losing It

The atmospheric sound of Xanadu

The finale of 2112

The intro in Camera Eye

The vocals of Geddy in Bravado "Though paradise is lost, we will pay the Price"

The intro of Entre-Nous

The whole Witch Hunt

The start of A Farewell to Kings after the acoustic intro

The complex drumming in La Villa Strangiato

"It's just the age

It's just a stage

We disengage

We turn the page". (Turn the Page)

I don't know where to start -

Those first chords that Alex plays in Ghost Rider are hauntingly beautiful to me.

When Geddy sings in The Pass

"And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge

Staring down into a heartless sea

Can't face life on a razor's edge

Nothing's what you thought it would be"

and "Christ what you have done?".

Any part of Natural Science - but some more than others.

"There is never love without pain. A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart." from Secret Touch.

Dreamline -

"And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge

Staring down into a heartless sea

Can't face life on a razor's edge

Nothing's what you thought it would be"

"They travel on the road to redemption

A highway out of yesterday -- that tomorrow will bring

Like lovers and heroes, birds in the last days of spring"

"Time is a gypsy caravan

Steals away in the night

To leave you stranded in Dreamland

Distance is a long-range filter

Memory a flickering light

Left behind in the heartland"

"When we are young

Wandering the face of the Earth

Wondering what our dreams might be worth

Learning that we're only immortal

For a limited time"

That's it for now!

• Like 1

The instrumental section in Marathon, up to and including "You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast"
  • Like 3

Oops! I goofed up there with the Dreamline lyrics, but I can't edit it.

These are the lyrics that should be there first:

"He's got a road map of Jupiter

A radar fix on the stars

All along the highway

She's got a liquid-crystal compass

A picture book of the rivers

Under the Sahara"

• Like 1

So many that is why I love Rush so much

It changes with the years and my moods but there is always a song that speaks to me or music that moves me or vocals that thrill me.

Als solo in la villa and the garden outro (everytime i hear it i imagine its the greatest rock band ever playing themselves out, which obviously i sincerely hope it isnt). Edited by lifeson90

• I love the Exit Stage left version of Jacobs Ladder where Geddy is singing the "bright, unbroken beams!" part and the crowd is cheering
  • When the band kicks back in, in Hemispheres "Then all at once the chaos ceased"
  • Basically all of Marathon...the guitar solo/breakdown part is always awesome to me...every. single. time.
  • The drum work of Neil in Clockwork Angels (the song) when Geddy is singing "goddess is a mistress...." I honestly find it some of his most fierce and focused playing in regards to playing for the song
  • The Garden guitar solo is beautiful.
  • Red Barchetta "Wind...In My Hair..." ....probably the greatest Rush moment put to record imo.
  • When the band finally all comes in, in Xanadu with that major E chord and Neil ripping on the drums...wow.
  • Intro of Anthem - fierce playing by Neil here
  • Red Sector A - "I must help my mother, stand up straight!" and the band hits those 3 hits (towards end of song)
  • La Villa Strangiato RIGHT after Alex's solo...that rhythmic part kills me every time - love it on the time machine DVD
  • The ending jam out of Open Secrets
  • Intro jam of The Camera Eye is so iconic to me
  • When Geddy plays the bass line of all 4 different strings of "Different Strings"
  • The guitar solo section of The Big Money is some of my all time fav Alex solo work
  • The drumming in all of Subdivisions is I think pretty much Neil's best work in a single song
  • Lyrical content of The Analog Kid throughout the whole song
  • The Main Monkey Business on the S&A live tour
  • "Time if nothing will do its worst, so do me that favour and tell me the good news first"
  • "Did I have the dream...or did the dream have me?"
  • Grand Finale

Those are some of my favs

Edited by xmac
  • Like 2

Too many;

Chorus of The Analog Kid

Arpeggio in New World Man

Solo in last part of Natural Science.

Solo in Red Barchetta

Solo in the Weapon

Solo in Kid Gloves

If I had to name only one, the guitar "solo" (or whatever you call these brief, hypnotic Alex guitar parts) between III. DIONYSUS: BRINGER OF LOVE and IV. ARMAGEDDON: THE BATTLE OF HEART AND MIND, right before Geddy sings "The Universe divided as the Heart and Mind collided..." has always been my favorite Rush moment since I first heard it.

Others: the beginning of VI. Soliloquy (the melancholy guitar and the opening lines "The sleep is still in my eyes

The dream is still in my head"); nearly all of Xanadu; the instrumental portions of Circumstances and Trees, and the middle Alex-centric part of La Villa Strangiato; the opening of TSoR; the "wheels within wheels" part of Natural Science (the first time it appears, esp the extended one from Different Stages); nearly all of Red Barchetta and Limelight's guitar solo. I'm still learning their later stuff but I like a lot of moments from Vapor Trails and I love the guitar work on S&A's A Larger Bowl.

Edited by Rutlefan

On this current CA tour, the big opening keyboard notes on The Big Money got me.

The Clockwork Angels intro. Actually, the entire song can bring about chills at any time. "Clockwork Angels bathed in liiiiight."

Witch Hunt - entire song

Vital Signs - "Everybody got to deviate from the norm......."

In the End - studio and All the World's a Stage versions

The end of the live version of vital signs on b-side of new world man single '.. Everybody got to deviate from the norm everybody got to elevate...' so freakin powerful

And obviously '.. My spirits are low in the depth of despair my lifeblood...'

"I can't stop thinking big"...love that chorus from Caravan, love that whole song. :musicnote: Secret Touch "the way out is the way in...." :cool: Intro to Subdivisions, love how it builds with the keyboards and then combines with the drums :ebert: . The drumming in Carnies Yeah! :Neil:

More but it is late :)

• Like 1