Nominate your candidate for most OVERRATED GUITARIST IN ROCK!

treeduck

I actually kind of hate the premise of this thread. When a guy like Michael Schenker who is amazingly talented gets a label of overrated it just seems wrong.
  • Like 2

I actually kind of hate the premise of this thread. When a guy like Michael Schenker who is amazingly talented gets a label of overrated it just seems wrong.

I have Schenker down as an underrated player.

When you see a guy like Vinnie Moore who is a real technical kind of player struggle in UFO it makes you appreciate how good Schenker really is.

• Like 1

I racked by brain to come up with the best answer and I finally have it! Drum roll please......

Richie Sambora

ftw

In all honesty, I have never heard a single person refer to Sambora as a great guitarist.

I think he is thought of as such. Not by the smart fan but certainly by the mainstream.

(Shrugs) Well, if that's true, I'd have to agree with you.

I think the thing to do with Richie Sambora is simply decare that he is mediocre and leave it at that. Nothing else need be said about him.

Listen beotch, you started this thread not me! He is overrated. :smash:

Saying he is mediocre is saying he is overrated. I think you guys agree.

Tick just likes to squabble, it's because he likes the sound of the word "squabble" most of all. :smoke:

When you see a guy like Vinnie Moore who is a real technical kind of player struggle in UFO it makes you appreciate how good Schenker really is.

:clap:

As bathory said, no one is saying he's not great. I feel like Michael Schenker's one of those guitarists knowledgeable rock fans will sometimes (over)praise to show how truly knowledgeable they are. Sort of like Black Sabbath fans who say they prefer Dehumanizer or Never Say Die! over Mob Rules or Paranoid. Or Rush fans who say they prefer Caress of Steel over Moving Pictures. I hate to say it, but there are some people who seem to think "real fans" are the ones who prefer obscurity.

Anyways, like I said, I love Schenker era UFO. Love it. I owned Assault Attack at one time because I loved UFO so much. Today I own nothing by Schenker outside of his stuff with UFO.

• Like 2

yeah, but schenker came up with the riffs didnt he? of course it'd be easier for him to play them

As bathory said, no one is saying he's not great. I feel like Michael Schenker's one of those guitarists knowledgeable rock fans will sometimes (over)praise to show how truly knowledgeable they are. Sort of like Black Sabbath fans who say they prefer Dehumanizer or Never Say Die! over Mob Rules or Paranoid. Or Rush fans who say they prefer Caress of Steel over Moving Pictures. I hate to say it, but there are some people who seem to think "real fans" are the ones who prefer obscurity.

Anyways, like I said, I love Schenker era UFO. Love it. I owned Assault Attack at one time because I loved UFO so much. Today I own nothing by Schenker outside of his stuff with UFO.

that's exactly how I feel. I feel like the same thing happens to robin trower - good guitarist, but he's just a less interesting hendrix to me (I still like his music). people shit their pants over him because not as many people know who he is, and for some reason it's cool to scoff at anyone who likes hendrix and page and say "what, dont you know michael schenker? uli jon roth? robin trower? f**k off, you noob"

although I don't know ANYBODY who prefers dehumanizer to heaven and hell or mob rules. a better example would be acting like metallica's best work was their first demo tape, simply because less people are familiar with it

yeah, but schenker came up with the riffs didnt he? of course it'd be easier for him to play them

I find schenkers riffs rather boring.. His rhythm playing is nothing special. He has a unique soloing style, but his riffs are pretty generic hard rock IMO

This is a perfect example..

Edited by Xanadoood

although I don't know ANYBODY who prefers dehumanizer to heaven and hell or mob rules. a better example would be acting like metallica's best work was their first demo tape, simply because less people are familiar with it

Check out Joe Siegler's Black Sabbath site sometime. You'll find folks on there who say Dehumanizer and The Devil You Know are both better than Heaven and Hell. Seriously.

I find schenkers riffs rather boring.. His rhythm playing is nothing special. He has a unique soloing style, but his riffs are pretty generic hard rock IMO

http://youtu.be/XZyCF56N214

there's a reason why he's praised more for his work with UFO than his work with MSG. I like MSG but the only person still getting excited over that music is eddie trunk

Check out Joe Siegler's Black Sabbath site sometime. You'll find folks on there who say Dehumanizer and The Devil You Know are both better than Heaven and Hell. Seriously.

what the hell are they trying to prove? I mean, I understand everyone has their own opinion, but it's like the people here who think presto is the best rush album...it's like, really??

• Like 1

there's a reason why he's praised more for his work with UFO than his work with MSG. I like MSG but the only person still getting excited over that music is eddie trunk

Haha.. Yeah, I think trunk lists him in every poll that they do on his show .. And seriously , if this type of hard rock isn't the inspiration for Spinal Tap, I don't know what is.. I grew up with this stuff , and have a soft spot for it , but lord, listen to those lyrics

My doctor has told me that I have to cut way back on the MSG. :(

Three words, and I don't care what argument comes my way.

Eddie. Van. Halen.

'Nuff said. Glorified hammer ons and there are people who do what he does, except a million times better. I just never understood how he's held in such a high regard.