Nominate your candidate for most OVERRATED GUITARIST IN ROCK!

treeduck

Jimmy Page. I await the shit storm.

There are just SOOOOOOOOOOO many other guitarists who are so much better than him.

You're not getting any shit from me. He's a terrific studio guitarist and very skilled at writing melodies, but his live performance is somewhat sloppy at times. Could be the drugs. I remember a video clip with him, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck and he was literally drooling on stage.

• Like 1

Three words, and I don't care what argument comes my way.

Eddie. Van. Halen.

'Nuff said. Glorified hammer ons and there are people who do what he does, except a million times better. I just never understood how he's held in such a high regard.

hobo Nooooooooo!!!!

Its easy to perhaps listen to Eddies Eruption today and think " hey, i see kids in guitar center pulling shit like that off all the time"...but Eddies style was completely all his own..Yah gotta remember, that first album came out in 1978... NO ONE was playing like that in mainstream Rock...and it goes WAY beyond just the hammer ons ...his TONE on those early records is still legendary..and if you watch guys who have taken parts of his style, the hammer on stuff in particular, it always seems forced with them...Eddie has a ton of soul in his playing, and his rythm playing is just great..like Neil , Bonham, and Moon, Eddie Van Halens style might be approachable, but they have intangibles that are hard to duplicate

Here is a good write up on Eddies style...

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/65

Eddie. Van. Halen.

'Nuff said. Glorified hammer ons and there are people who do what he does, except a million times better. I just never understood how he's held in such a high regard.

In 1978 there wasn't anybody in hard rock who did what he does better.

• Like 1

Eddie. Van. Halen.

Yup. and Ill say between the years 1978-1985, he was untouchable..in all areas, ..soloing, songwriting, riffs, invention...guys like Vai and Satch may have betetr technique, but not the overall package like Eddie

Eddie. Van. Halen.

this is something folks need to understand - the reason folks are still talking about eddie van halen (and I'm not even really a VH fan after fair warning) and not the kids who can sound just like him at guitar center is because he INVENTED the style that all those kids at guitar center are trying to rip off. in terms of influence and importance he's up there with the best of them, and keep in mind this is not coming from your usual TRFer "the 1984 tour was the highlight of my existence" type.

• Like 1

To me Robert Fripp is overrated. Whenever he plays I wan't to mute the sound.

I have no idea how anyone can hear larks tongues part 2 or red and not think he sounds f***ing awesome.

• Like 1

Eddie. Van. Halen.

this is something folks need to understand - the reason folks are still talking about eddie van halen (and I'm not even really a VH fan after fair warning) and not the kids who can sound just like him at guitar center is because he INVENTED the style that all those kids at guitar center are trying to rip off. in terms of influence and importance he's up there with the best of them, and keep in mind this is not coming from your usual TRFer "the 1984 tour was the highlight of my existence" type.

I think the fact that Eddie , and Van Halen the band, dropped off the map for 15 years didnt help him...Its funny, but a lot of younger players i talk to really dont even realize the impact and influence he had...I think the image of the band dint help eaither, with Roth wearing assless chaps...Dimebag, Zack and slash seem to be everyones definition of Rock guitar, even thpugh Eddie was the godfather of all that

Edited by Xanadoood

Eddie. Van. Halen.

Yup. and Ill say between the years 1978-1985, he was untouchable..in all areas, ..soloing, songwriting, riffs, invention...guys like Vai and Satch may have betetr technique, but not the overall package like Eddie

Correct, and I'd agree up until 1982, by 1983-84 there was then Vai and a peak Malmsteen around, and Steve Stevens to create some debate.

Eddie. Van. Halen.

I think the fact that Eddie , and Van Halen the band, dropped off the map for 15 years didnt help him...Its funny, but a lot of younger players i talk to really dont even realize the impact and influence he had...I think the image of the band dint help eaither, with Roth wearing assless chaps...Dimebag, Zack and slash seem to be everyones definition of Rock guitar, even thpugh Eddie was the godfather of all that

well dimebag is only so highly praised because he's dead. the dude wasn't all over every rock guitarist list until after december 8, 2004. keep in mind I like a lot of pantera and I dig dime as a player and he seemed like a great dude and all, but all the worship I'll never understand.

zakk wylde and slash...no comment. I do like the first GNR album though.

Eddie. Van. Halen.

Hello ? Are you experienced ?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/Hearing-aid-prototype_zps1932a459.jpg

Did Kurt Cobain win this thing yet?

nobody outside of rolling stone magazine is overrating his abilities at all.

maybe its best you keep away from every single UK rock mag ever. Possibly including those as far back as the mid-seventies, possibly earlier...

time to really piss off hobo: led zeppelin and van halen are better than cheap trick!!

Music opinions have never upset me, what's the point? Lol

I just don't understand the complete adoration of Eddie. I will never downplay his impact in hard rock, but personally I'm sick of constantly hearing about him.

Hahaha I always bring out the angry mobs when I criticize certain musicians lmao

It's all good ;)

:eh: :banghead:

I remember when you had to have some sort of talent to be in the music business. Good times.

Me too. I'm just afraid I'm late for the party. Social medias have made it easier to 'get out there' but unfortunately most quality music is getting drowned by mediocrity.

I do sense, however, that people are beginning to demand music that challenges them more. Hopefully :)

time to really piss off hobo: led zeppelin and van halen are better than cheap trick!!

I just don't understand the complete adoration of Eddie. I will never downplay his impact in hard rock, but personally I'm sick of constantly hearing about him.

I was just joking. well not about liking zep and van halen more than cheap trick, but I figured you wouldn't get pissed. I do like cheap trick though. and tbh yeah van halen gets brought up just about daily in this place, and there's only so much you can say about eddie, but those early records still kick ass imo

• Like 1

:eh: :banghead:

I remember when you had to have some sort of talent to be in the music business. Good times.

Me too. I'm just afraid I'm late for the party. Social medias have made it easier to 'get out there' but unfortunately most quality music is getting drowned by mediocrity.

I do sense, however, that people are beginning to demand music that challenges them more. Hopefully :)

not in the states. and probably not anywhere, wtf kind of regular person likes their music to be challenging? that's only for music geeks like us

Edited by bathory
  • Like 1

All nominations will go in a poll and we'll see who the true overrated guitar bastard in rock is! :madra:

My nomination is for Ted Nugent who, between political rants, seems to be living under an illusion that he's viewed as some kind of guitar hero for the masses. And he does seem to have some kind of good guitar playing reputation with some people, which I can't really understand how he achieved.The reason I nominate him, firstly his tone which is awful, he's always calling people soulless but it's his tone that's the most soulless of all. His chops are terrible too, if guitar playing is a language Ted's guitar speaks gibberish, just like he does in English. His songwriting and riffs are also really, really weak as well. I think there's one album that's not bad, the first one from back in 1975, and a couple of songs after that, everything else is forgettable bullshit for the most part.

Ok that's my nomination, who's your nomination for most overrated guitarist in rock?

:guitar: :hi: :NP: :madra: :smoke:

Hey I forgot I started this thread... :16ton:

I was just joking. well not about liking zep and van halen more than cheap trick, but I figured you wouldn't get pissed. I do like cheap trick though. and tbh yeah van halen gets brought up just about daily in this place, and there's only so much you can say about eddie, but those early records still kick ass imo

Ok I admit, like a lot of bands, their early stuff, the stuff you never hear played constantly, is good.

Haha dude, it's chill :)

I did have a mini VH poster and their album covers on my wall as a teen- Roth era VH. Not van Hagar. Don't hate em, just don't have Eddie near the top of my list of fave guitarists.

Ok I admit, like a lot of bands, their early stuff, the stuff you never hear played constantly, is good.

Haha dude, it's chill :)

I did have a mini VH poster and their album covers on my wall as a teen- Roth era VH. Not van Hagar. Don't hate em, just don't have Eddie near the top of my list of fave guitarists.

I didn't mean "I was just joking." in like a whiny bitchy way or anything haha and yeah van hagar blows, I never had vh merch actually so you might be a bigger fan than me. and eddie is also not really one of my fav guitarists, like I think he can f*ckin play the guitar but when people ask me favorite guitarists I usually don't ever bring up eddie.

• Like 1

I don't mean to tread on hallowed ground, but I don't understand the Joe Satriano love. I'm not a guitarist so I can't appreciate the technicality of his music. But as a non-musician it sounds like; turn every knob and effect to 11 and wank. He may be a great guitarist but I don't feel any soul. To me this stuff could have come from a machine.