"Tom Sawyer" boycott?

Disk98

I actuallly never tire of TS, and its there biggest song AND still one of my faves, so no they shouldnt drop it. For some reason this song just has staying power with me. TSOR is kind of played out to me, but whenever they play it live I dig it. They should make some changes to the next leg, IMO, but not by dropping TS.
  • Like 1

I am tired of "Tom Sawyer." Tired of it! It has been played EVERY SINGLE SHOW since 1981, and I'm sick of hearing it on EVERY LIVE ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY THE SAME on every album. Maybe it's time to put the "modern day warrior" to rest? Can we, as loyal fans of Rush, convince the band that "Tom Sawyer" has got to go?

By the way, before you counter with something about "The Spirit of Radio," I say it stays because it sounds different—better, I think—now than it did 30 years ago.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/724/690/690724.jpg

By the way, before you counter with something about "The Spirit of Radio," I say it stays because it sounds different—better, I think—now than it did 30 years ago.

The Spirit of Radio isn't different...you are. I'm not saying that in a positive or negative way. You're different than you were 30 years ago, we all are. But the recording has not changed. And any changes Rush makes when TSoR is performed live are essentially microscopic.

As much as it wouldn't bother me to NOT see Tom Sawyer live again, you have to consider this...

What if you had JUST gotten into Rush, and Tom Sawyer had currently been your (or one of your) favorite Rush tunes? So you finally see them in concert, and it just happens to be the FIRST TIME EVER, that the band drops TS from the setlist? You can't say that you would NOT be upset. :no:

The Spirit of Radio has a 1,000% better chance of getting dropped. And it actually HAS. TWICE. (beginning of the "Presto" tour, and on the first leg of "Clockwork Angels" it got swapped out every couple of shows)

I too am tired of hearing TS, but I still like hearing it - if for nothing else, the first timers. There was a time I didn't like it at all because all the poser Rush fans would say they love that song.

This will be my daughter's first show, she is trying to learn to play the keyboards in TS, so she would be disappointed if they didn't play it. She said she would really like to see Headlong Flight and The Camera Eye. :LOL:

You have a point, but there's always YouTube, and there are 8 other live albums containing the song, not to mention several compilations and "Moving Pictures" itself.

You're gonna tell me watching it on YouTube and seeing it performed live, surrounded by thousands of screaming fans is the same? Seriously??

Watching :rush: YouTube videos only works if you've been at the taped show in question...then it feels like your there all over again IMO....providing that the show video quality isn't bad! (I had to do something to relieve my post-shows depression on the first leg!) LOL!! Must have watched the Indy and Chicago videos a million times already! Anyone else do this?? Or I am I just a :rush: freak??

I am tired of "Tom Sawyer." Tired of it! It has been played EVERY SINGLE SHOW since 1981, and I'm sick of hearing it on EVERY LIVE ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY THE SAME on every album. Maybe it's time to put the "modern day warrior" to rest? Can we, as loyal fans of Rush, convince the band that "Tom Sawyer" has got to go?

I've been staging my boycott since the mid-'80s. I sit down. I understand why it's played, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. (Limelight is the one that kills me more though these days)

It doesn't sound EXACTLY the same though. It's evolved like any other song, but maybe less so.

That said, it does seem to have new life for the last ten years live just like the band itself. They've definately avoided the autopilot switch most of the time lately.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/9019abbfed4499f63366ac5329b6cd92/tumblr_mj3fvj7PWb1rhgy1mo1_400.gif

The Spirit of Radio isn't different...you are. I'm not saying that in a positive or negative way. You're different than you were 30 years ago, we all are. But the recording has not changed. And any changes Rush makes when TSoR is performed live are essentially microscopic.

Actually, I'm not even 30. But I still have to respectfully disagree. Listen to TSoR from GUP Tour, and then listen to TM.; you'll notice a difference.

Actually, I'm not even 30. But I still have to respectfully disagree. Listen to TSoR from GUP Tour, and then listen to TM.; you'll notice a difference.

It's not different in the Bob Dylan sense of changing from record to live performance. Rush has said several times that they try to keep the live performances of songs as close to the original recordings as possible. The difference you're talking about is more connected to age, equipment, or whatnot, no?

As much as it wouldn't bother me to NOT see Tom Sawyer live again, you have to consider this...

What if you had JUST gotten into Rush, and Tom Sawyer had currently been your (or one of your) favorite Rush tunes? So you finally see them in concert, and it just happens to be the FIRST TIME EVER, that the band drops TS from the setlist? You can't say that you would NOT be upset. :no:

The Spirit of Radio has a 1,000% better chance of getting dropped. And it actually HAS. TWICE. (beginning of the "Presto" tour, and on the first leg of "Clockwork Angels" it got swapped out every couple of shows)

I too am tired of hearing TS, but I still like hearing it - if for nothing else, the first timers. There was a time I didn't like it at all because all the poser Rush fans would say they love that song.

A billion posers can shout their love for Tom Sawyer every second of the day but it wouldn't change how much I like it

:goodone:

I can hear TS until the cows come home!

:codger:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/9019abbfed4499f63366ac5329b6cd92/tumblr_mj3fvj7PWb1rhgy1mo1_400.gif

There are about five Rush songs that should always be played live, (Known as Staples) which are essential at a RUSH show. It just doesn't feel like a RUSH concert without them now. (Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, YYZ, 2112 O/T, and Limelight). I think out of a setlist that usually hold between 26 and 30 songs, die hard fans can bare hearing five of the staples. New Fans should be able to hear them live as should the casual fans. Stop the whinning, these are great songs and awesome live..Everytime!

A billion posers can shout their love for Tom Sawyer every second of the day but it wouldn't change how much I like it

I even feel the same way about TSOR. Their songwriting back then was that good.

I even feel the same way about TSOR. Their songwriting back then was that good.

For me, TSOR more than TS.... easily

hell no, im seeing em for the very 1st time this summer and, even though i hear it a lot, I WANNA HEAR IT.
  • Like 1

It's not one I play often, but I do like Tommy S.

Something would feel incomplete and not quite right if it were dropped. It would be mildly disturbing.

I hate this song when I hear it on the radio but when I saw it live I almost died. It was amazing.

"Hate it"? You're on acid. It's not like it's You Bet Your Life or something else hate-worthy

I don't think I could hate something that is virtually their signature song :huh:

I remember upon first listen thinking WTF WAS THAT?? Everything about it was utter perfection, as is of course MP.

Edited by Steevo

It's not my favourite song, and it's always been one that I've gotten a bit tired of. But, give it its due, it is a good song, and it goes over extremely well live! I like the energy from the crowd when 'Tom Sawyer' gets played, even if personally I'd rather have deeper cuts played instead. And I'll admit that it's grown on me over the past few years - I've gained more appreciation for the drumming, for a start, and since I've been playing it on bass.

So, even though I'd probably personally rather let a different song have a chance, I'd vote 'no' to dropping it, because it brings so much to a show. Now, if Rush was to sit down with me and make up a setlist together, for my very own private concert... well, actually, if it's a private concert, there might not be much music getting played. Not if I'm going to be spending any amount of time fangirling over Geddy....

• Like 1

It's not my favourite song, and it's always been one that I've gotten a bit tired of. But, give it its due, it is a good song, and it goes over extremely well live! I like the energy from the crowd when 'Tom Sawyer' gets played, even if personally I'd rather have deeper cuts played instead. And I'll admit that it's grown on me over the past few years - I've gained more appreciation for the drumming, for a start, and since I've been playing it on bass.

So, even though I'd probably personally rather let a different song have a chance, I'd vote 'no' to dropping it, because it brings so much to a show. Now, if Rush was to sit down with me and make up a setlist together, for my very own private concert... well, actually, if it's a private concert, there might not be much music getting played. Not if I'm going to be spending any amount of time fangirling over Geddy....

I've been thinking about this "private concert" thing lately. What if, for example, 1000 fans on here, were willing to pay $500, for a special concert, whereupon, Rush would play deeper cuts, and maybe play for 5 hours, :dweez: , I wonder if they'd go for it???

I've been thinking about this "private concert" thing lately. What if, for example, 1000 fans on here, were willing to pay $500, for a special concert, whereupon, Rush would play deeper cuts, and maybe play for 5 hours, :dweez: , I wonder if they'd go for it???

Whoooo.... Just got shivers.... can you imagine how awesome this would be, yet how much difficulty there would be in agreeing over the setlist? ;) Although, if it's a five-hour concert.... But it would take weeks and weeks of rehearsals for the boys to re-learn (and just plain learn) songs like 'How It Is' and 'Everyday Glory' and 'The Awesomest 70s Instrumedley Ever'. But that would be a very good $500 spent.

They'd go for $500 a ticket but not the 5 hours!

:AlienSmiley: