Almost Perfect Albums with 1 or 2 Bad/Mediocre Songs

rushgoober

Doesn't is suck when an otherwise brilliant album is dragged down by 1 or 2 particularly mediocre or just outright bad songs? I'm not talking about songs that just aren't as good as some of the rest of the material on the album, but ones where you're compelled to skip them every time because they're notably inferior. List albums like this with the offending track or two. Ah, what almost could have been...

King Crimson - Red (Providence)

Rush - Hold Your Fire (Tai Shan, High Water)

Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa (What's Become of the Baby)

Rush - Clockwork Angels (BU2B2)

The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday (Mind Gardens)

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast)

I'm sure I'll think of plenty more as we go on...

Edited by rushgoober

I wouldn´t include Clockwork Angels just because of BU2B2 - it´s an interlude, at best, not a song in itself. But ok, I see your point, and I´ll bite:

Grace Under Pressuse - Red Lenses.

• Like 1

I wouldn´t include Clockwork Angels just because of BU2B2 - it´s an interlude, at best, not a song in itself. But ok, I see your point, and I´ll bite:

Grace Under Pressuse - Red Lenses.

Interlude, shminterlude - it's a track I have to skip. And I ALMOST included Halo Effect, but I don't skip it every time. It is a noticeably weaker track, however, compared to everything else. I often skip it.

And I love Red Lenses! Admittedly, that song and Kid Gloves took the longest to grow on me from GUP, but I got over that many years ago. The lyrics are lots of fun and it's an interesting departure for Rush.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (More Fool Me)

I would say it's easily the weakest song on the album (considering it's one of the best albums of all time), but I still quite like it a lot, and it's a welcome bit of calmness and simplicity next to the more ambitious and complex prog epics. It helps balance out the album, which is a REALLY long single album.

I think it would be easier to name albums that have 4 or 5 good songs and the rest filler. I cannot think of a single album that I love 10 out of the 12 songs and hate the other two so much that I would skip them. Sure some songs are stronger than others but every album I can think of that is 80% great doesn't have the other 20% as horrible.

I think it would be easier to name albums that have 4 or 5 good songs and the rest filler. I cannot think of a single album that I love 10 out of the 12 songs and hate the other two so much that I would skip them. Sure some songs are stronger than others but every album I can think of that is 80% great doesn't have the other 20% as horrible.

It IS hard to come up with titles. Yeah, if I was going to do a list of albums with 4 or 5 good songs and the rest filler, I could name hundreds. An album that is pretty close to perfect, but has one or two songs that are mediocre or bad enough to really downgrade the album doesn't happen nearly as often, and it's because most of it is so strong that it's a real shame when it does happen.

• Like 1

It IS hard to come up with titles. Yeah, if I was going to do a list of albums with 4 or 5 good songs and the rest filler, I could name hundreds. An album that is pretty close to perfect, but has one or two songs that are mediocre or bad enough to really downgrade the album doesn't happen nearly as often, and it's because most of it is so strong that it's a real shame when it does happen.

I can't think of any. Most albums that I love that much while they may have a couple songs not quite up to the others, I still like them and listen to them. Edited by thesweetscience

Come to think of it, we should have another thread with this subject "reversed" - Horrible albums with 01 or 02 songs that are listenable. For instance, Van Halen III has Without You and Fire in the Hole.
  • Like 1

Come to think of it, we should have another thread with this subject "reversed" - Horrible albums with 01 or 02 songs that are listenable. For instance, Van Halen III has Without You and Fire in the Hole.

I would die of old age before I got finished naming them all and I am not that old.

King Crimson- In the Wake of Poseidon(The Devil's Triangle)

King Crimson did that a lot actually where they would have a great album and have one song that is just WTF...

:o The WTF is how you can consider that a bad song! :crazy:

Dude, the song is a dark mellotron masterpiece! :yes: :ebert: :haz:

• Like 1

Abbey Road - "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or "Octopus's Garden". Take your pick. I enjoy both songs but with the wealth of material The Beatles had laying around to record it annoys me they put these two songs on the same side of an LP. Heck, either one would've made a decent enought b-side. It's still a brilliant album.

King Crimson- In the Wake of Poseidon(The Devil's Triangle)

:o

Radiohead - OK Computer. An absolute gem of an album BUT for electioneering, hate it SO much.

There are a few more I'll get back to later but that album always comes first.