Who fell off the biggest cliff?

Lost In Xanadu

I don't understand how people think Phil ruined Genesis. Tony would never let someone else take that much control over the songwriting.....

I blame them all equally :)

:outtahere:

Me too. Phil was not solely responsible for Genesis turning into a pop band. To argue otherwise is to deny Mike and the Mechanics.

For me as an old avid Phil Collins/Genesis fan, Phil ruined Genesis when he decided to leave back in '95!!. The new singer, Ray, couldn't hold a candle to Phil and fans such as myself were surely turned off. Believe me, I tried again and again to listen to the new stuff to no avail. It wasn't the same! Tony and Mike were desperate to continue on without Phil, but sadly there's no replacing Phil IMO....The reunion tour back in 2007 was a real treat and $$$$ maker, but everyone had a sense that it was a one-off thing and wouldn't last.

Never got into the Peter period with Genesis, but his solo stuff is really great!!

This is crazy!!! I love the Peter Period Of Genesis but I can't stand the Phil Solo Stuff. Well the first album is EXCELLENT. But that's about it!

Signed,

"Just Like Paradise"

Wait! That's David Lee Roth! Not Phil! LOL!

Aerosmith - 1973 -1980 r.i.p.

I disagree on Genesis, there best was the phil collins era,there prog stuff was small cult like following, I never got into the proggy stuff, just boring.

:facepalm:

It was all over after Gabriel's departure. Collins turned Genesis into a pop band.

I liked the first few albums after Gabriel left..but by the mid 80s, their music was complete shit. :(

I disagree on Genesis, there best was the phil collins era,there prog stuff was small cult like following, I never got into the proggy stuff, just boring.

It was all over after Gabriel's departure. Collins turned Genesis into a pop band.

I liked the first few albums after Gabriel left..but by the mid 80s, their music was complete shit. :(

I've always thought of the Collins era as their heavy metal period... :notworthy:

Def Leppard. Everything after Hysteria has been absolutely generic radio drivel. Even Hysteria teeters on that border is you take the music further than face value.

Guns N Roses. First album was fantastic. Where did that great sound go? Egos and drugs that's where.

Kiss - They've been selling performances for 20 years now, not music.

ZZ Top - Eliminator was their last great album. Everything after that was a huge drop. Their best song in years is a cover of a rap song that the original artist paid them to make.

Megadeth

I've always thought of the Collins era as their heavy metal period... :notworthy:

I love the Collins era, with the honourable exception of We Can't Dance, the epitome of lazy dad-rock.

But A Trick of The Tail, Duke, IT, shapes album, all superb.

Phil Collins is emperor of Saturn, he don't owe you shit, bucko.

Muse started falling after The Resistance and really sank with The 2nd Law. They used to be really original and edgy, but now they're basically ripping off Queen.

Metallica started their decline with The Black Album and fell pretty far after that. With Death Magnetic I'd say they've climbed back up about halfway so I hope their next album will be even better.

Iron Maiden took a nosedive after Seventh Son but thankfully recovered nicely with Brave New World and the 3 albums after that.

Linkin Park have never come close to doing anything as good as their first two albums.

Aside from a few hits, Genesis got really boring after ATTWT.

As for Rush, everything from Hold Your Fire to Vapor Trails just doesn't interest me at all. It's all quite boring stuff. Everything before and after that is awesome.

The only band I can think of that started from the bottom of the cliff and kept climbing up is Radiohead. Everything after Pablo Honey is superb.

Muse started falling after The Resistance and really sank with The 2nd Law. They used to be really original and edgy, but now they're basically ripping off Queen.

Metallica started their decline with The Black Album and fell pretty far after that. With Death Magnetic I'd say they've climbed back up about halfway so I hope their next album will be even better.

Iron Maiden took a nosedive after Seventh Son but thankfully recovered nicely with Brave New World and the 3 albums after that.

Linkin Park have never come close to doing anything as good as their first two albums.

As for Rush, everything from Hold Your Fire to Vapor Trails just doesn't interest me at all. It's all quite boring stuff. Everything before and after that is awesome.

The only band I can think of that started from the bottom of the cliff and kept climbing up is Radiohead. Everything after Pablo Honey is superb.

I think they "cliffed" with King Of Limbs. What a boring, godawful album that was.

Right. :LOL: That said, I need to go to the "5 greatest thrash albums ever" thread, and include the Carpenters' debut album. :P

I love the Collins era, with the honourable exception of We Can't Dance, the epitome of lazy dad-rock.

But A Trick of The Tail, Duke, IT, shapes album, all superb.

Phil Collins is emperor of Saturn, he don't owe you shit, bucko.

I LOVE A Trick Of The Tail. :notworthy: Duke has its moments, and I do like Abacab. Genesis is where things started falling apart. Invisible Touch :o That's where they completely lost me.

I think they "cliffed" with King Of Limbs. What a boring, godawful album that was.

They so did. One massive cliff. It was a steady climb to OK Computer, then the ups and downs happened. KoL is a truly awful pile of poo.

At worse Rush have made quite a few mediocre albums post-GUP, but thankfully never once dropped off entirely.

Bon jovi fell of a big cliff, but was saved by his hair as he bounced to hair metal and soccer mom music, and made a lot of money , and still is one of the biggest acts out there, I guess money talks

Phil collins and genesis was the face of pop music in the 80's, if they didn't change after gabriel left they were finished , prog was done for by 1979, disco and punk killed it, than metal killed of disco and punk

DEVO, post-Freedom of Choice. FoC had a lot of synth, but was still guitar-hook based. After that, synth-dominated pop, with some irony-charged lyrics thrown in the background.

I would say post- NT, still a killer album.

NT was full of radio friendly hits, but didn't have the edge of the first three efforts.

Aerosmith - loved everything up to "Night In The Ruts", after that, flatlined.

Def Leppard - went from being ace to being woeful in one fell swoop. "Pyromania" was the last good one.

Bon Jovi - really like the first two records, especially the debut, but "Slippery" killed them (although not financially!).

Scorpions - were absolutely brilliant. The Ulrich Roth era was masterful. Then from "Lovedrive" to "Love At First Sting" they were a great pastiche of a US party band, but fun & still making great songs. After that they just began to cannibalise themselves & became awful very quickly. It's hard to believe that the modern day Scorps came up with early albums like "In Trance", "Virgin Killer" & "Taken By Force". Huge fall in quality in my eyes.

DEVO, post-Freedom of Choice. FoC had a lot of synth, but was still guitar-hook based. After that, synth-dominated pop, with some irony-charged lyrics thrown in the background.

I would say post- NT, still a killer album.

NT was full of radio friendly hits, but didn't have the edge of the first three efforts.

Hmmm, didn't lose the edge for me :huh: I liked the sophistication over some of the punk as well, at least during that period.

• Like 1

FLEETWOOD MAC!

After "Rumors" THEY SUCK!

I dunno, man, I dig Tusk :huh:

Mirage and Tango are both solid as well.

Just saw them in Louisville recently, and they performed a bunch of Tusk material. EXCELLENT performance on everything! Even without Lady McVie they really put on a great show. Highlights were Buckingham's behavior during "Not That Funny", Fleetwood's hilarity and drum solo during "World Turning", the powerful guitar solo of "I'm So Afraid", and I also really enjoyed Buckingham's acoustic rendition of "Big Love". I'd pay the big dough to see that show again! So...off a cliff, they are NOT!

• Like 1

I agree aerosmith fell pretty far since first album, but I will say my favorite song by them is on their second album, Train Kept a Rollin which absolutely rocks.

another easy one is Boston, cant believe no one was put them in yet. Although anymore I really cant listen to the 1st album anymore heard it way to many times

=0 I actually love Third Stage better than the debut!

for me, The Darkness popped up immediately in my head. BRILLIANT debut and everything after.....meh.

FLEETWOOD MAC!

After "Rumors" THEY SUCK!

I dunno, man, I dig Tusk :huh:

Mirage and Tango are both solid as well.

Just saw them in Louisville recently, and they performed a bunch of Tusk material. EXCELLENT performance on everything! Even without Lady McVie they really put on a great show. Highlights were Buckingham's behavior during "Not That Funny", Fleetwood's hilarity and drum solo during "World Turning", the powerful guitar solo of "I'm So Afraid", and I also really enjoyed Buckingham's acoustic rendition of "Big Love". I'd pay the big dough to see that show again! So...off a cliff, they are NOT!

Lucky you! Earl has probably changed his mind again, he can get unusually mean after a few drinkies :spitwater: I would like to see the full classic line-up just once down here before they hang it up for good , probably asking for the moon though :huh: