David Lee Roth on the future of VH

Rod in Toronto

I just read this interview, and he finally opens up about missing Michael Anthony on bass and vocals, playing outside the US, writing new songs with Eddie etc...if Ed reads this, it seems Dave's second stint with VH will soon come to an end:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186177&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I was wondering when Roth would say Anything on this matter. Seems the Gag order is off Roth now or Roth just does not give a shit . Ed better suck it up because they are Done without Roth. Sammy will never be back so it's Roth or Done.
  • Like 1

I was wondering when Roth would say Anything on this matter. Seems the Gag order is off Roth now or Roth just does not give a shit . Ed better suck it up because they are Done without Roth. Sammy will never be back so it's Roth or Done.

And I still have trouble with a VH without Michael Anthony.

• Like 2

I think Sammy would drop anything he's doing straight away to go back for another tour with VH. The question is, does Eddie still want to carry on? Based on Roth's interview, it seems he doesn't...

Sure seems like it. Dave makes the point many times that he would like to write some new stuff and he repeatedly gets no response... I think the writing's on the wall there.

I think Sammy would drop anything he's doing straight away to go back for another tour with VH. The question is, does Eddie still want to carry on? Based on Roth's interview, it seems he doesn't...

Sammy would drop anything but Ed wants to play with his son . not MA. Sammy always said he wants MA . So this will never work out. Sammy's book is another reason Ed won't have him back, even Sammy said as much

I understand but it is what it is. Ed has been playing great and if it was his son that got him back out there, then that's a good thing

I agree. I bought the new album and I just can not get into it. It sounds Van Halen-ish, but MA vocals are sorely missed. Wolfie can cover the bass parts (very good player) but not the vocals and he had the gig handed to him on a silver platter.

Then I listen to "Dance the Night Away" and am just floored by how good they were. That was a long time ago.

I'm really not surprised by this. I think Roth knows (thinks) he has a bit more footing now and so the Anthony praise (quite well deserved and necessarily stated, I might add...with no knock on Wolfie, whom I think did a spry job) was very refreshing. Beyond that there wasn't much that's too newsworthy.

I think those hoping that Anthony returns really find themselves hinging on Wolfgang again, Michael's best chance being Wolf deciding he doesn't want to do this anymore. I realize that touring/playing with Tremonti (and like things) isn't exactly an arena-filling proposition, BUT there exists a possibility that Wolf will eventually want/desire to have an identity separate from his dad and uncle. As long as Wolfgang wants to be in Van Halen, he will be.

Ultimately, and my thoughts on this haven't changed, I welcome new Van Halen material. While I'd LOVE to see them work with Mikey again (for all the obvious reasons), I'll take part 2 of the VH family reunion + DLR over nothing at all. And let's be fair, Wolfgang did a marvelous job on the album, so he's hardly just some hood ornament bearing the VH namesake. But reuniting with Mike remains that elusive and final link.

I hope it happens. I hope even more than Van Halen remains creatively viable.

• Like 2

And here´s the link to the full interview: http://www.vhnd.com/2013/02/12/david-lee-roth-vents-about-van-halens-future-new-rolling-stone-interview/

P-D, what I think is newsworthy is Dave taking a stand and complaining about Eddie´s timing and/or work ethics. Up until now he´d been nothing if not diplomatic about the whole situation since re-joining in 2007. I guess the future of Van Halen now depends more or less on how Eddie will take Roth´s statements here. Up until the record came out I always felt the band was hanging by a thread, but then I got all confident, especially with the great tour they had. Now, I´m just not so confident anymore.

They've been back together now for 6 years (approximately 5 years and 9 months longer than most thought)...and they're consistently written off and dismissed as dead about every six months. It comes with the territory with this band. Eventually they'll be done and people will say "Ha, I told you so!!" but the fact of the matter is that NO ONE saw two tours and a new album coming out of this '07 reunion. It's far, far exceeded anyone's realistic expectation. That's the truly funny part, when you read the comments of the "I told you so" crowd...that they ignore the fact that they originally insisted they couldn't get through a single tour without imploding. Six years later they're still eager to be right.

Well, that's Dave I guess. Part of what makes him such a great frontman is his mouth. I miss Anthony's background vocals too, but the new album is enjoyable enough. It's not Fair Warning, but very few albums are.

I read Sammy's book. I can't see Alex and Eddie agreeing to be in the same room with him, let alone work with him.

• Like 2

Well, that's Dave I guess. Part of what makes him such a great frontman is his mouth. I miss Anthony's background vocals too, but the new album is enjoyable enough. It's not Fair Warning, but very few albums are.

I read Sammy's book. I can't see Alex and Eddie agreeing to be in the same room with him, let alone work with him.

I agree...calling people unstable, childish drunks probably put it over the edge.

I hope they get back together, maybe make another album and go on tour again. VH is my second favorite band and it would be so incredibly awesome if all the original members got back together! I love them so much and I would love to see them again :P

Well, my two cents worth...

I loved A Different Kind of Truth, and when we saw them in San Jose, it was f-cking epic. They sounded great!

I hope they keep going, but if Eddie's not up to it, then so be it. To me Van Halen will always be Eddie and Dave. A great combo for a long, long time.

And I will say that, whatever the past, Wolfie did just fine on bass and singing back-up on this last tour. He was really bringing it. I had a great time.

JMHO

I just read this interview, and he finally opens up about missing Michael Anthony on bass and vocals, playing outside the US, writing new songs with Eddie etc...if Ed reads this, it seems Dave's second stint with VH will soon come to an end:

http://www.blabbermo..._medium=twitter

Thank you very much for posting this on here. IT SAYS IT ALL!!!!

David Lee Roth was the main reason why I wrote my BEST FRONTMAN (WOMAN) VOCALIST THREAD!

Diamond Dave IS THE MAN! A REALIST TOO!

Michael Anthony isn't the greatest bass player in the world but damn it's so true! His background vocals are INCREDIBLE!!!

I've written this on here before but I must log it in on this thread.

I saw the VAN HALEN III Tour in Concord, about 4 miles from my house.

I really didn't want to go with Gary on vocals but I figured that if Michael, Eddie and Alex were that close to my house that I HAD TO GO!!

Well when the opened with "Mean Street" I almost shit myself. Incredible.

Then the show went downhill.

Well until Gary left the stage for a wardrobe change.

What happened next on the stage absolutely blew my mind.

Van Halen turned into a three piece! They played "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" with Michael on lead vocals. My head almost exploded into a billion tiny fragments of blood and bone.

One for the Ages to be honest.

I used to always joke around from then saying that Van Halen should just be a three piece. Michael on bass and lead vocals. Eddie on guitar. Alex on drums!

Van Halen could be the Los Angeles Rush!! LOL!

Saying that though damn I love Dave.

I wish him well no matter what he does and I will always buy his music.

He is an EMT too.

Diamond Dave = STUD.

Roth is the Kaepernick of ROCK AND ROLL!

Well, my two cents worth...

I loved A Different Kind of Truth, and when we saw them in San Jose, it was f-cking epic. They sounded great!

I hope they keep going, but if Eddie's not up to it, then so be it. To me Van Halen will always be Eddie and Dave. A great combo for a long, long time.

And I will say that, whatever the past, Wolfie did just fine on bass and singing back-up on this last tour. He was really bringing it. I had a great time.

JMHO

I have been obsessing over "Flying Colors" so they have moved into the number one spot for 2012.

"Clockwork Angels" is 2.

"A Different Kind Of Truth" is 2.

So "Tattoo" was not written a few years ago?

Roth said that they haven't written a new song together in over 20 years."

"Tattoo" must have been written in 1984.

Many have bitched about how poppy that song is. I fuckking love it.

I'm a Van Halen Whore FOREVER!

FUKK VAN HAGAR!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666