Who Is The Greatest Vocal Frontman (Or Woman) Of All Time?

RUSHHEAD666

Are we talking best singer, or best show man?

If it's showmanship, it's either Dave or Mick. Neither just stood in front of a mike and sang, and both of them clearly fed off the audience.

I use the past tense because I suspect they're both done performing live.

Showmen. Singers are a dime-a-dozen.

Are we talking best singer, or best show man?

If it's showmanship, it's either Dave or Mick. Neither just stood in front of a mike and sang, and both of them clearly fed off the audience.

I use the past tense because I suspect they're both done performing live.

Showmen. Singers are a dime-a-dozen.

That's what I thought, but some of the posts seem to be talking about vocal ability. Dio for example. I saw him in 1984 and 2009. Great singer, and I loved the shows. I wouldn't call him a great show man though.

• Like 1

Phil Mogg, Phil Lynott, Lemmy

Paul Stanley, Diamond Dave, Bon Scott, Bruce Dickinson!

Hahaha! You are my rock and roll brother! I was going to mention Bruce too but strangely enough my favorite Maiden album is KILLERS!!!

Your four are excellent though!!!!!!

David Coverdale, DIO!

Mikael A from Opeth!

Mentioning "Killers" is an automatic like.

• Like 1

Paul Stanley, Diamond Dave, Bon Scott, Bruce Dickinson!

Hahaha! You are my rock and roll brother! I was going to mention Bruce too but strangely enough my favorite Maiden album is KILLERS!!!

Your four are excellent though!!!!!!

David Coverdale, DIO!

Mikael A from Opeth!

Mentioning "Killers" is an automatic like.

Proof positive.

Both Mercury and Dickinson have already been mentioned several times, but they're too good not to mention again.

Ian Anderson, particularly back in the 70's, was a great entertainer.

Fish

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

Bono has got to be up near the top of the list, although, I'm not a huge fan anymore... What about David Bowie?

PETER GABRIEL when he was with Genesis... no question, he was the best lead singer / showman of all time. Yes, even better than Mercury... not by much, but he was better.

Jagger was always a great showman, but I truly believe he was and still is one of the least skilled singers in the business. He was "pretty good" until about '75.

(Again, TBR dives behind the couch to avoid getting his testicals kicked by angry Stones fans!)

• Like 1

Bono has got to be up near the top of the list, although, I'm not a huge fan anymore... What about David Bowie?

PETER GABRIEL when he was with Genesis... no question, he was the best lead singer / showman of all time. Yes, even better than Mercury... not by much, but he was better.

Jagger was always a great showman, but I truly believe he was and still is one of the least skilled singers in the business. He was "pretty good" until about '75.

(Again, TBR dives behind the couch to avoid getting his testicals kicked by angry Stones fans!)

Ozzy's not a "skilled singer" either. Nor is Diamond Dave. Tyler isn't. Being a good rock vocalist, and frontman, has very little to do with having a classically "good" voice.

The Stones' catalog is pretty much the gold standard for rock. Jagger's done something right.

• Like 5

Peter Gabriel by far.... you can't beat dancing around with a flower on your head :LOL: :haz:

David Byrne (Talking Heads), Adrian Belew (King Crimson), Jeff Lynne (ELO), Daevid Allen (Gong), Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), and Jon Anderson (Yes) are/were awesome, too :yes:

As for female, my vote goes to Annie Haslam of Renaissance :wub: :yes:

Correction:

Odereus Urungus - Gwar

THEN Freddy Mercury! and the rest can shut up!

Edited by BigBob
  • Like 1