Who Is The Greatest Vocal Frontman (Or Woman) Of All Time?

RUSHHEAD666

The list is endless!

I would love to poll this thread but you can only write in seven answers per question!

As Ted Nugent would say then, it's a "FREE FOR ALL!"

So many great frontmen and women come to mind!

From Geddy Lee to Ann Wilson!!

I'm drinking the Van Halen Kool-Aid tonight so hence this thread!

Say what you will but in my mind DAVID LEE ROTH is the greatest frontman of all time!

Paul Stanley? Phil Moog? Axl Rose? Blondie? Bon Scott? Steven Tyler? UDO? LOL!

The list goes on "FOREVER!" Dave Meniketti?

Signed,

Y&T

Paul Stanley, Diamond Dave, Bon Scott, Bruce Dickinson!

Hahaha! You are my rock and roll brother! I was going to mention Bruce too but strangely enough my favorite Maiden album is KILLERS!!!

Your four are excellent though!!!!!!

David Coverdale, DIO!

Mikael A from Opeth!

• Like 1

Paul Stanley, Diamond Dave, Bon Scott, Bruce Dickinson!

Hahaha! You are my rock and roll brother! I was going to mention Bruce too but strangely enough my favorite Maiden album is KILLERS!!!

Your four are excellent though!!!!!!

David Coverdale, DIO!

Mikael A from Opeth!

Shit! How could I forget Dio? Mikael just for his comedic skills alone makes him great. You mentioned Killers and just last night I watched some recent footage of Paul Dianno doing Murders in the Rue Morgue(my favorite from that album by the way) and it was embarrassing to say the least! That guy is so pathetic these days I felt bad for him. Voice is completely gone and the guy looks fukking terrible. I respect those first two albums, but Harris was right to get rid of him. No way in hell would Maiden have made it this far with Paul.

to me, a good frontman/woman is someone who...

1. doesn't play an instrument, besides say, a tambourine or cowbell or something, so their full attention is on the audience.

2. has an epic voice.

3. puts on a great show. as in, moves around the stage, interacts with the crowd, etc.

my favorite would be Trevor from The Black Dahlia Murder. I've been going to their concerts since their first album 10 years ago and he has never let me down. also, he's a sweetheart.

I also love Stevie Nicks. although her vocals have declined over the years, she still does her best. But I actually prefer Lindsey Buckingham over Stevie, but I rule him out because she was made out to be the "star".

others that I've only seen footage of would be Bruce Dickinson and Steve Perry.

The best i've ever seen live are Bruce Dickinson and Steven Tyler.

I haven't seen Areosmith since 1997 so I don't know how good Tyler is these days. But I saw them three times when they toured for Get A Grip and he was just everything you could want from a front man. He has the charisma, the look, the moves and just commanded your attention. When people talk about somebody having the "it" factor when it comes to being a frontman, Steve Tyler is at the top of the list.

Bruce Dickinson is pretty much the metal version of that. Even with as big of a show as Maiden puts on, Bruce still grabs your attention and your eyes are always focused on him. He runs around the stage like a mad man, signing everything perfectly and always getting the crowd going. Bruce's stage presence can probably be felt outside the venue by people not even attending the show. That's how strong he is up there.

I have to give Dio a mention here as well. I've seen him play small clubs solo, a theater with Sabbath in '92 and an amphitheater with Heaven & Hell in 2007. No matter the size of the crowd he always perfromed like the whole world was watching him. He was such gripping figure when he performed. Most of Dio's lyrics have a magical theme to them and that translated to his live show. Ronnie was truly "magic" on the stage.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Got to agree with a lot of the people already mentioned: Mercury, Plant, Rose, Roth, Tyler, Morrison.

Bono (like him or not).

Nice call. He's a great showman, like him or not, as you say. Can you imagine U2's live show without him?

Same with Jim Morrison. Love or hate the music, the guy was the Doors. Great frontmen cause riots.

Edited by goose

Got to agree with a lot of the people already mentioned: Mercury, Plant, Rose, Roth, Tyler, Morrison.

Bono (like him or not).

Nice call. He's a great showman, like him or not, as you say. Can you imagine U2's live show without him?

Same with Jim Morrison. Love or hate the music, the guy was the Doors. Great frontmen cause riots.

Jim Morrison, his addictions and dysfunctions aside, was a genius. From what I've read about him, he was so intellectually above everyone in his world.....if he caused a riot, then he did it on purpose....perhaps just to amuse himself. :eh: :eh: