"In The Mood" Question

pdurbin22

Has the band ever said anything about why they played "In The Mood" consistently throughout the 80's, while eschewing so much other 70's material?

I totally get why they weren't playing much from the 70's, but why was "In The Mood" treated as a consistent exception? I would say it's simplicity, but that would also apply to "Working Man" which they refused to play again until '02 (and it now seems to be the new "In The Mood.")

Any insight would be much appreciated!

This is what they had to say about it in 1990 on the radio program Rockline.

Bob Coburn: You've gone all the way back to the first album for 'In The Mood'...why'd you choose to play this on this tour?

Alex: Well we've actually been playing 'In The Mood' on every single tour that we ever ever did

Geddy: Yeah I don't think we've ever dropped it

Alex: We've wanted to...(laughs)

Geddy: We've tried to (more laughter)...but yeah we kinda do a satirical version of it now. We've always felt that we have to play at least one song from that first album and that's the one we seem to have the most fun with. Also the set is so complicated and there's so much musically that's being digested and that we're having to think about during the show. We like to end the show on a really loose and upbeat kinda note and that song seems to provide an atmosphere of kind of reckless abandon, for lack of a better description. It's fun to do and everyone seems to enjoy it so it's been our sort of perennial end of set song.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 27 2012, 01:51 AM)
This is what they had to say about it in 1990 on the radio program Rockline.

Bob Coburn: You've gone all the way back to the first album for 'In The Mood'...why'd you choose to play this on this tour?
Alex: Well we've actually been playing 'In The Mood' on every single tour that we ever ever did
Geddy: We've tried to (more laughter)...but yeah we kinda do a satirical version of it now. We've always felt that we have to play at least one song from that first album and that's the one we seem to have the most fun with. Also the set is so complicated and there's so much musically that's being digested and that we're having to think about during the show. We like to end the show on a really loose and upbeat kinda note and that song seems to provide an atmosphere of kind of reckless abandon, for lack of a better description. It's fun to do and everyone seems to enjoy it so it's been our sort of perennial end of set song.

I always enjoyed it as a closer. It was like being able to breath after the set. Also, I heard it as an idea of what they sounded like before they got all complex after the new guy joined - at least what I thought they would have sounded like back when they first started.

Good post. Thanks!

smile.gif

My first exposure to that song was the VHS copy of the Exit Stage Left video back when I was a Rush neophyte. At that point in time, the oldest studio album I had was Moving Pictures so all the older stuff was brand new. (Similarly, the album version of Exit Stage Left was also my first exposure to songs like TSOR, Jacob's Ladder, La Villa Strangiato, etc. - but that's how I intended it as I purposely bought the album as a "sampler" of sorts to see which older studio albums I should get first.)

Anyway, back then I thought In The Mood sounded really out of place lol. Here I was having this notion that Rush was this super-cerebral super-serious band and then they pull that song out, hehe.

Edited by Bangster of Goats

QUOTE (pdurbin22 @ Sep 26 2012, 01:55 PM)
Has the band ever said anything about why they played "In The Mood" consistently throughout the 80's, while eschewing so much other 70's material?

I totally get why they weren't playing much from the 70's, but why was "In The Mood" treated as a consistent exception? I would say it's simplicity, but that would also apply to "Working Man" which they refused to play again until '02 (and it now seems to be the new "In The Mood.")

Any insight would be much appreciated!

It was a great way to rock out of the concert hall.

I really got tired of the encore end of show medley schla03.gif

It was the same for years, besides In The Mood, 2112 parts I & II others also(which allude me now) they seemed to never change or try anything different through out the 80's. But now I would be in in the mood to hear" In The Mood" again.... and then again "Here Again" would be awesome also this day and age for Rush to perform live... laugh.gif never will happen.

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 27 2012, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (default236 @ Sep 27 2012, 03:48 PM)
ASOH= yes.gif

Always loved this version! wub.gif

I just looked it up on youtube, amazing. It looks like they're really enjoying themselves, especially at the end where Geddy runs around the drum kit and starts dancing with Alex.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 27 2012, 01:51 AM) This is what they had to say about it in 1990 on the radio program Rockline.

I always enjoyed it as a closer. It was like being able to breath after the set. Also, I heard it as an idea of what they sounded like before they got all complex after the new guy joined - at least what I thought they would have sounded like back when they first started.

Good post. Thanks!

smile.gif

Perhaps not coincidentally, it was dropped for good on 1990's Presto Tour