What aspect of Rush won you over?

Amy Farrah Fowler

Assuming that the majority of us were exposed to a song played on the radio, with a minority of us most likely exposed out of sheer curiosity or referral from someone else:

What was it that hooked you as a dedicated fan?

Looking over my iPod, I have mountains of songs that I love, but no real vested interest in the bands that released those songs. I thought it would be interesting to find out what hold Rush has on you.

I was familiar with the band from their staple "radio play" repertoire.

What really hooked me and drew me in (and has really spoiled me) is the sheer amount of information that's bundled into their songs. Complexity in the music, artful lyric writing without being pretentious.

I still hear new sounds and interpretations when I listen to stuff I have listened to thousands of times.

The band photo from 2112 sold me

When I noticed Rush female fans were the hottest chicks around, I knew I found my band. Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Sapphire Oraculum @ Aug 14 2012, 01:45 PM)
Xanadu yes.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/eyebrowsmile.gif

I think the first few times i heard the midsection of Freewill, I thought my head was going to explode - ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I had four different exposures, each years apart and each one building my love for the band.

1. Brother liking Ghost of a Chance and having a friend lend him RTB and ESL. (age 15 - love of Rush: casual fan at best)

2. Borrow Chronicles from a frenemy (age 17 - casual fan of pre-Signals music)

3. Friend turns me on to 2112 (age 19 - fanatic for pre signals music)

4. Pick up some used CDs at a random store (age 25 - fanatic of all of Rush)

I first noticed them 20 or so years ago through the radio staples. TSOR, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Subdivisions where the main ones the local radio played but they also played every single from them a lot. Songs like FBN, Bastille Day, Overture/TOS, CTTH, DEW, TBM, TSS, Dreamline, RTB and Show Don't Tell where also played reguarly.

The main thing I took away from them through these songs where the lyrics. They were writen in such a different way from every other band and they were worded in such a well thought out manner and that's what peaked my interest. Of course as I started collecting their albums, the musicianship gained more of my attention and it was from there on that I was hooked for life. Their songs as a whole are just on another level that not many other bands can match.

First time hearing Rush was in a tent (on a Walkman) on a scout camping trip. Was blown away by the energy, power, and instrumentation. The album was ATWAS.

In 1978 I played Farewell To Kings on my little Montgomery Ward record player when my mom told me to go to sleep, it was turned down low. When Cygnus X-1 came on it scared me and I had nightmares all night. I was only 10.

But the next day I had to find more RUSH lp's I borrowed my friends 2112 and was hooked ever since.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 14 2012, 09:42 PM)
First time hearing Rush was in a tent (on a Walkman) on a scout camping trip. Was blown away by the energy, power, and instrumentation. The album was ATWAS.

That sounds awesome. Those "awakening" moments are unforgettable.

i first heard Rush when I was 9 so I wasn't so much hooked by them as I was very curious about their lyrics and their kimonos on 2112. By the time I was a young teen, the hard rock guitars and the drums really drew me towards them. Geddy's killer bass made me a die hard fan. Geddy's high pitched vocals never once bothered me.

I believe i first heard Rush in "79" when i was a freshman in high school. Needless to say i started smoking alittle weed back then and my friend says listen to this Rush album 2112. Well i couldn't believe how trippy the music was and I was hooked right away lol. So from there it was Caress of steel and then Hemispheres and that was a total mind blow, And pretty much the iceing on the cake for me. But as i look back Rush has hooked me several times and for different reasons. At that time period it was because of how tripped out i thought the music was. My mind was like a sponge in those days and I was listening to anything i could get my hands on and kinda drifted away from Rush because of this. Then the summer of 82 i listened to MP for the first time cause i was more refined lol . I wasn't this punk kid looking for trippy music anymore, And again I was blown away.But this time it was because of the complex arrangements and how it was done in commercial sense . I dont think that cd ever got ejected from my car stereo that whole summer it moved me that much. Then when Signals and GUP came out i was playing drums at that time i remember, And i couldn't believe how Neil melded the electronic sounds with the acoustic very cutting edge stuff he was doing at that time just loved it. I could go on and on but to me Rush hooked me at different stages of my adolescence for different reasons and that is why they will be the group that is always dearest to me. And yes of course the lyrics too lol. Edited by The Vigilante

The first time I was introduced to Rush was on a gaming forum where the topic was showing this drummer's video on his Roland Electronic drum kit doing some covers, as well as some improvisational solos. Then he linked an audio clip of Spirit of Radio, showing an example of how this band called Rush inspired him to start playing drums.

When I first listened to Spirit of Radio, at first, I was like "wow, this band sounds totally different than most bands I've listened to."

This was 8 years ago, and over time, it was on and off. Then Tom Sawyer was introduced to me 5 years ago, when Rock Band started to become popular. At that point, it started building up, and soon I bought my first Rush album, which was Moving Pictures, back in the summer of 2009.

At that point, it started spreading. I then picked up 2112, then Signals, and then... well, everything else is history. I was hooked! biggrin.gif

My collection of Rush albums are just about complete. The only missing albums are Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snakes & Arrows.

Some years back, I got introduced to ASOH CD. Absolutely loved it - the songs were amazing! Started collecting everything I could find, even rare items. I've got all the studio CDs , live, compilation, concert DVDs, vinyl (inc 10"). Even the 1974 2.gif debut album.

I think it was that they told stories with the music. They didn't do the usual crap. no.gif

and RUSH isn't cheesy with lyrics, thank god.

I listen to songs now from other bands and knew those lyrics word for word with no understanding of what they really meant as a child - It's embarrassing.

I think if I heard something like 'Lick It Up' from Rush, I would immediately stick knitting needles into my ears. It will be too late. The apocalypse will have already begun...bolt.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 15 2012, 10:22 AM)
and RUSH isn't cheesy with lyrics, thank god.

I listen to songs now from other bands and knew those lyrics word for word with no understanding of what they really meant as a child - It's embarrassing.

I think if I heard something like 'Lick It Up' from Rush, I would immediately stick knitting needles into my ears. It will be too late. The apocalypse will have already begun...bolt.gif

But.... but.... "Lick it Up" fits so neatly with "Stick it Out"