Is Clockwork Angels the album of the year so far?

treeduck

Is Clockwork Angels the album of the year so far?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is Clockwork Angels the album of the year so far?

• 1 Yeah! And it's not even close honey baby! Clockwork Angels rules!
    • 2 Not quite but it's right up the in the runners up spot
    • 3 Yes, but it just barely edges out my other favourites by a whisker...
    • 4 No way! Clockwork Angels is average, at least TEN 2012 albums beat it!
    • 5 It's not the best album of 2012 but it's around 3rd or 4th.
    • 6 Yes but it's actually tied for top spot with one of my real faves!
    • 7 It's nowhere near, at least 25 releases this year top it, at least!
    • 8 I have it so far ahead it's beyond belief & boggles the mind!
    • 9 I can't quite decide right now, let me get back to you on this
    • 10 You know I just don't care because I hate CA I just can't rate it at ALL!
    • 11 It's occupying 5th place in my top 10 albums of 2012 (so far)
    • 12 It's the ONLY new album I bought in 2012, so I can't proclaim it tops!
    • 13 I've got it around 6th or 7th in my personal 2012 top 10, maybe 8th
    • 14 I have it around 9th or 10th, or just outside my top 10.
    • 15 I have no top 10, cos that is some nerdy bullshit you hippy treeduck

You mean there's *new* music, too?!? unsure.gif

Most of my music purchases this year are to back fill holes in my catalog or things I want to learn on bass (Motown, Duck Dunn, Sgt. Peppers, Big Band era stuff). In the 21st century, first Adele and Gaga - who are these people everyone's making such a fuss about - not really this year's stuff though.

Er, there's Rush....and.....uh.....

cosmo.gif ?

It's the only album released this year that I had any interest in, but I have bought a bunch of older albums. No one really makes albums anymore anyway.

And no it's not in the top ten of albums I've bought or have been released this year. I have no other reference either.

smile.gif

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

The only other album I have this year is Astra - The Black Chord. Before CA came out, I thought there was no way in hell that Rush could make an album that good.

That said, I'm torn. They're both such completely different albums. I guess it comes down to The Black Chord easily makes my top 100 album list, and Clockwork Angels doesn't, so Astra is better, but that's no disrespect meant to Rush.

Let me edit that and say that CA hasn't gotten in my top 100 album list YET, but I might decide to put it there soon. The Astra album got in right away, but that could mean it was just more easily accessible to me where CA is a bit more of a grower...

Edited by rushgoober

Yep! Rush is #1,

Clockwork Angels.............. Rush

Fly from Here.....................Yes

The Black Chord.................Astra

TAAB2................................Ian Anderson

20/20.................................Saga

XXX....................................Asia

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Can't quite decide. Of any old band releasing new music, it's so far ahead of the competition it has it's own planet and toilet facilities. But there's been a lot of new stuff by newer bands released this year that has blown my mind.

But, by year's end, I can see it hovering near the top, if not at the summit.

No way. Far more into Nocturniquet from TMV. It sounds much more modern and doesnt have the dated 70s hard rock vibe CA has.

Im sure canadian ice and his old ass will be around shortly crying like the baby he always is. "WAAAA im old and I like old dated sounding music!!!". Good for you, FYI not everyone here is 60 dude and not everyone has to like the same shit as you. Go change your diapers.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 4 2012, 09:00 AM)
No way. Far more into Nocturniquet from TMV. It sounds much more modern and doesnt have the dated 70s hard rock vibe CA has.

Im sure canadian ice and his old ass will be around shortly crying like the baby he always is. "WAAAA im old and I like old dated sounding music!!!". Good for you, FYI not everyone here is 60 dude and not everyone has to like the same shit as you. Go change your diapers.

Telegram from Tiny Dynamite:

Piss boy...oh piss boy!!! Chamber pots are full and rehearsel starts in five minutes...start steppin'!!!!

PS--read The Yukon Blade Grinder for your source of news.

1287.gif

Yup, it's the best album this year. I don't normally buy albums and listen to them fully, but CA made me accomplish both. I'm also a fan of The Killers (yes, I like a variety of music extending across a variety of genres and eras) and have recently heard their new song, which has peaked my interest in what their entire album sounds like. I doubt it will surpass my feelings for CA, but who knows? Anything is possible. Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 4 2012, 02:00 PM)

laugh.gif

You sweet talkin' b***ard, you had me at "hello."

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 3 2012, 06:41 PM)
There's been a ton of great new albums this year. Right now its 3rd, after Anglagard and Anathema. Other favorites are Echolyn, Joe Bonamassa, Flying Colors, and District 97.

I would put Storm Corrosion up there. That is some surreal shit cool10.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 4 2012, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 4 2012, 02:00 PM)

laugh.gif

You sweet talkin' b***ard, you had me at "hello."

I'm digging that too and would probably put it above CA, but acA is maybe fourth or fifth this year so far. Storm Corrosion and Anathema's Weather Systems are my favorites right now.

CA fer sure, still I was hoping (am hoping) TOOL or Karnivool hit the store before the annum novum.

For those not previously experienced, check out Sound Awake. Much grungier than RUSH, but some real flashes of brilliance/innovation for a fairly new band.

Here's my rankings for albums that I have gotten this year so far.. (Not Including 3 live albums out this year (Black Country Communion Live, Steven Wilson's Catalog/Preserve/Amass, and Spock's Beard X-Tour LIVE))

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Driving Towards the Daylight - Joe Bonamassa

3. The Black Chord - Astra (All the top 3 are very close to eachother. )

4. Banks of Eden - The Flower Kings (what a welcome back for this band, great record)

5. Flying Colors - Flying Colors

6. Storm Corrosion- Storm Corrosion

7. Noctourniquet - The Mars Volta (Another good, not fantastic, but good output from TMV)

Still have not listened to TAAB2, nor Anathema's "Weather Systems" and I need to do so.

Beardfish, Black Country Communion, Coheed and Cambria, Between The Buried and Me, as well as MUSE have albums coming later this year that might rank

But as of right now CA is at the top for 2012 and while there is still plenty in 2012 to look forward to I don't see it being eclipsed.

Edited by The Owl

Gonna add to my last post, the only album that Im looking forward to that has a chance of knocking CA down from #1 is the third Black Country Communion album.... both the first and second albums were in my top 3 for 2010 and 2011 respectively