Did anyone else notice the time on the clock?

yyz311

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 26 2012, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 26 2012, 07:09 PM)
Despite all previous depth and breadth of coverage, I have yet to read anyone else's interpretation that the clock should be read as twelve minutes past BU2B2.

Interpret at will...

cool.gif

An interesting hypothesis, spock.

Watchmaker keeps the time. Anarchist on the cover. Hands set to after BU2B2. I hadn't considered that aspect. Interesting.

Further reinforcement of that this is not 21:12 (9:12), but an illusion of it. Looks like a reflection of a tale of rebellion against an authoritarian power when in reality it is a scathing satire (the subject of which I think I have a bead on) and, ironically, a work of true optimism. Brilliant.

Fascinating. Complex, yet quite simple.

Thanks for the insight.

smile.gif trink39.gif

Agreed - it is NOT 9:12 (nor 21:12) and really not BU2B:12 but should be taken as a random sample (referencing Vital Signs) from the Watchmaker's watch itself...how, you ask?

Recall the lyrics: The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve

That phrase contains at least the following letters: T A R I S...the "D" is obviously missing to throw off amateurs, but most knowledgeable nerds would realize the code for TARDIS - thus the album cover is a picture of the watchmaker's watch as he flies through the space time vortex between 21:12 (apparent time to the foolish) and 22:12 (real time as realized by the wise).

There, mystery solved.

Ya'll may want to print this and save it for later...

Next, I'll explain why the Pedlar's symbol is included on the dial but Se7en Cities of Gold is not...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 26 2012, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 26 2012, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 26 2012, 07:09 PM)
Despite all previous depth and breadth of coverage, I have yet to read anyone else's interpretation that the clock should be read as twelve minutes past BU2B2.

Interpret at will...

cool.gif

An interesting hypothesis, spock.

Watchmaker keeps the time. Anarchist on the cover. Hands set to after BU2B2. I hadn't considered that aspect. Interesting.

Further reinforcement of that this is not 21:12 (9:12), but an illusion of it. Looks like a reflection of a tale of rebellion against an authoritarian power when in reality it is a scathing satire (the subject of which I think I have a bead on) and, ironically, a work of true optimism. Brilliant.

Fascinating. Complex, yet quite simple.

Thanks for the insight.

smile.gif trink39.gif

Agreed - it is NOT 9:12 (nor 21:12) and really not BU2B:12 but should be taken as a random sample (referencing Vital Signs) from the Watchmaker's watch itself...how, you ask?

Recall the lyrics: The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve

That phrase contains at least the following letters: T A R I S...the "D" is obviously missing to throw off amateurs, but most knowledgeable nerds would realize the code for TARDIS - thus the album cover is a picture of the watchmaker's watch as he flies through the space time vortex between 21:12 (apparent time to the foolish) and 22:12 (real time as realized by the wise).

There, mystery solved.

Ya'll may want to print this and save it for later...

Next, I'll explain why the Pedlar's symbol is included on the dial but Se7en Cities of Gold is not...

Hmmm.....

I'm not a Dr. Who fan and I'm not very good with anagrams, so I certainly wouldn't have picked up TARDIS. You may be correct, but I'm not so sure.

Are you suggesting that Dr. Who somehow connects Rush's 2112 timeline (presumably our own) to CA timeline (which is explicitly not our own)?

That would defy Occam's razor (simplest explanation is usually correct), would add an enormous amount of overlap with other cannon and would seem to make the story much more complex and therefore difficult to narrate.

An intriguing idea, but I think it may be too complex.

I believe the depth and complexity lies in his comparison and relation to the story in the other timeline. It might be as simple as a delusional dream on a ship-wrecked shore, half-in and half-out of consciousness.

IMO, scarlet mist is anarchist, hands represent watchmaker and time on the clock plays to our illusion and perception.

The answer, I believe, lies in the Candide reference.

Good ideas. smile.gif

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 26 2012, 10:16 PM)
Yeah, actually I think you're right.  wink.gif

Just swerved outside the lane momentarily!

laugh.gif

Time for bed. Get some sleep. wink.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 26 2012, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 27 2012, 01:01 AM)
Can anyone name the ONLY official Rush album to feature all 3 members on the cover?

Front cover only?

PeW has Lee, Lifeson. Peart on the front cover

It does? On the Front?

Yes, all 3 pictured on the front cover I mean...

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 27 2012, 06:21 AM)
Can anyone name the ONLY official Rush album to feature all 3 members on the cover?

Front cover only?

It does? On the Front?

PeW has "Lee" "Lifeson" and "Peart" on the front cover, yes...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 27 2012, 10:35 AM)

Front cover only?

It does? On the Front?

Rush In Rio?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 27 2012, 04:40 AM)

Front cover only?

It does? On the Front?

Rush In Rio?

Nope, but you're on the right track with the "Live" album

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 27 2012, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 27 2012, 04:40 AM)

Front cover only?

It does? On the Front?

Rush In Rio?

Nope, but you're on the right track with the "Live" album

A Show Of Hands!!!

Three pages of sarcasm and complaints. If the thread is so lame then why are you posting in it??

I'm sure there's still new rush fans coming here for the first time so why can't we get used to repeat questions without being rude??

1287.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 04:10 PM)
What's REALLY cool is that there's a guy waving in the background of the Permanent Waves cover. Anyone notice this? Who IS that guy? confused13.gif

It's Hugh Syme.

One of the details that I notice on the cover is that the symbols for The Anarchist through Halo Effect are obscured in the mist. Halo Effect is clearing.

Now we're starting to tie back to spock's "symbology" thread. I was browsing though a friend's symbology book yesterday. Some interesting tie in to classic symbols (the waves like aquarius, neptune's pitchfork) and some alchemical ones too (water, fire, sulphur) are all over CA.

I enjoy the added dimension. It makes a clockwork universe seem that much more complete and plausible (aside from flying steamships).

smile.gif

BTW, couldn't agree more MMCXII (nice handle too) smile.gif