what was your first concert experience?

mine was in atlanta in 2009, metallica on the death magnetic tour with lamb of god and gojira opening. gojira were entertaining but the crowd wasn't into them, lamb of god were pretty entertaining as well even though i'm not a big fan of their music, and metallica put on a pretty good show despite how shitty philips arena sounds.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiss/Motley Crue in Las Vegas on April 1, 1983. Creatures of the Night tour for Kiss....and Crue's Too Fast For Love tour. Crue previewed 3 songs from their upcoming Shout At The Devil album. One of Kiss's final U.S. shows in makeup until the reunion tour in '96. Edited by Presto-digitation

Crosby, Stills, & Nash/Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers on August 28, 2010. TP&H were supporting their new album, Mojo. Played a couple great tracks from it and it was quite entertaining. They brought some new life to "Don't Come Around Here No More" live. It sounded so much more alive.

I saw The Police at the Exit End in Nashville, TN when I was 15. It was in the grand old 20th century. The year was 1980.

They were so cool on stage that I think my personality changed overnight.

653.gif

I saw New Riders of the Purple Sage in a Gymnasium around 1971...

First "real concert"

Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies Tour with Blue Oyster Cult May 15 1973

Standing in front of the stage, not far from the front, yeah that was common in those days... I remember someone passing me a funny cigarette. Probably the last lucid memory in my life wacko.gif

I am not sure what my parents thought about me going, rock music was generally looked upon with disdain. My older sister drove me. I did find pre and post concert news articles.

You're not dreaming; Alice was here before

Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2000

Alice Cooper welcomed Amarilloans to his nightmare on May 15, 1973, when he played to a packed house at the Amarillo Civic Center. The following excerpts are taken from Globe-News files, and yes, the punctuation was that bad:

From May 13, 1973:

"A lot of rumors and legends" surround the Alice Cooper show, scheduled Tuesday at the Civic Center Auditorium, but there are no "filthy, nasty scenes."

Joel Brandes of Feyline Productions which will present the show here defended content of the rock and roll concert Friday when he arrived in Amarillo and learned of comments made about "Alice Cooper" at Tuesday's pre-session meeting of the City Commission.

Brandes said he would like to invite City Commissioner W.W. Nicklaus, who described the show as "filthy and nasty," to come and see it. ...

At the commission pre-session, Commissioner Nicklaus said he had been told that the show contains "some very filthy, nasty scenes" and that "parents need to be aware of what's coming in."

Mayor L. Ray Vahue said that a federal court decision several years ago had made clear that the city cannot refuse auditorium booking to shows on moral ground, but that the auditorium would be well-policed during the performance here.

"It's not what you would call family entertainment," the mayor said.

n n n

From May 16, 1973:

The Alice Cooper show that played the Civic Center Coliseum drew polarized reviews today from Amarillo police and students from junior high to college age who were among the rock act's crowd of 5,000.

"You leave disgusted," said Police Chief Paul Hulsey, who joined 19 on-duty patrolmen Tuesday night at the controversial band's performance.

"I liked it," said Bill Gainer III, a ninth-grader at Stephen F. Austin Junior High.

"There's no way to describe it," said Col. Jim Keith, assistant police chief.

Keith said there was no trouble at the concert aside from the arrests of two people for drunkenness. ...

(Hulsey) said the bandleader filled the act with obscene gestures and words and called the show "a bad influence."

"The noise was deafening," said Col. Keith.

n n n

The mother of the Bill Gainer III quoted in the file story said she remembers the concert well.

"He (Bill Gainer III) used to have every one of Alice Cooper's records. He really admired him. Billy was in a band then. He played drums and has a band on the side now," said Pat Gainer, who still lives in Amarillo.

And though a majority of Amarillo parents kept their kids at home, Gainer said no one looked down on her for letting her son attend the concert.

"My husband is retired from the (Amarillo) police department, and I think we would've heard something. But no one ever said anything like that to me. You just have to let kids be kids."

She said Alice Cooper never bothered her. She understood what he was doing.

"It was showmanship, you know. (Saying that someone was filthy and nasty) was the general consensus of any longhair at the time," she said.

Today, Bill Gainer III lives in Dallas and works as a respiratory therapist. Pat Gainer said she's sure her son would want to see Cooper again.

"I've meant to call him and tell him about it. I know he would be so excited to see him again."

What it looked and sounded like:

Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies 1973

Peter Tosh - Roger Chapman and the Shortlist - Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention - all three played the same festival in 1982. One year later "Signals from Rush"!!!

KISS - 1975 and 1976, Cincinnati

Boston - 1978, Cincinnati. My first "non-KISS" concert. I entered the "normal" rock-n-roll world..... wink.gif wink.gif

I was a senior in HS. It was also my first ever concert.

Syracuse, NY - May 13, 1981 at the War Memorial

Some dude took some pics I just found. Link

Black Sabbath Mob Rules Tour March 6, 1982 Cobo Arena

(Iommi, Dio, Butler, Appice)

E5150

Neon Knights

N.I.B.

Children of the Sea

Voodoo

Black Sabbath

War Pigs

Drum Solo

Iron Man

The Mob Rules

Heaven and Hell

The Sign of the Southern Cross

Paranoid

Children of the Grave

Strangely enough i'm responding to this thread on the 20th anniversary of my first concert. July 25th, 1992 Metallca and Guns N Roses co-headlining stadium tour at Rich stadium (where the Buffalo Bills currently attempt to play football at laugh.gif ) Orchard Park, NY. Faith No More was the opener.

Unlike the bullcrap festivals today in the US that give two bands an hour to play each and call it "co-headlining", this actually was a true co-headlining tour since both bands played 2 hrs.

And thanks to the power of the internet I was able to find the setlists from this show:

GUNS N ROSES:

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Live And Let Die

Attitude (Mistfits cover)

Bad Obsession

Double Talkin' Jive

Civil War

Patience

It's So Easy

Welcome To The Jungle

Drum Solo