The Wreckers Selected as the Next Single...

Jag2112

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 24 2012, 07:55 PM)
Its has one of the best chorus' on the record and is very listenable.

Not sure why any of you are bitching about a Rush song getting radio play. Who cares what song it is. Real fans of the band would never bitch about hearing their songs on any radio station. Fcking bitch, bitch, bitch. I feel sorry for your wives and girlfriends.

I don't mind if any Rush song gets radio play, but some songs are singles and some songs aren't.

Tom Sawyer is classic rock staple, Cinderella Man is not, but if either show up on the radio when I am in the car I crank it up. I never listen to the radio at home anymore.

God rest the radio of my childhood.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 24 2012, 10:05 PM)
QUOTE (fish89 @ Jul 24 2012, 08:56 PM)
I will say this.  My greatest disappointment in life (well OK, not quite) is that my 13 year old son wants nothing to do with Rush.  Doesn't like them doesn't listen to them...  All he wants to listen to is Eminem, Ludacris, Black Eye Peas and a bunch of other stuff I'm not really a huge fan of. 

He probably heard "The Wreckers" twice from me playing it in the car or around the house.  So last week have the family in the car and "the Wreckers" pops up and plays on my ipod - and he is singing along with the chours!  Wife and I start laughing at him and he's like "Hey, this is a really good song"

So that is at least one vote for trying to reach out to a different audience with this as the next "single" - although I agree, I will be shocked if it ever gets played!

Alright then, I stand corrected. If 13 year old young men are singing along to the chorus then let the radio have it. Whatever radio is these days...

both my kids love "the Wreckers" they can't get enough of it. My 15 year old daughter even harmonizes with the chorus. To daddy's delight!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 24 2012, 04:47 PM)
what did geddy and alex, who once graced the stage with double-necks and made hemispheres, xanadu, bytor etc....come up with a cheesy song like the wreckers? it's mind boggling. wacko.gif

You are really, really grasping dude.

as a hardened older rush head i can see why the wreckers a decent rush album track but if i was a young potential fan out there the tune wouldnt blow me away as a single and i probably wouldnt wanna hear it again, something like seven cities be much better Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Jul 25 2012, 04:20 AM)
as a hardened older rush head i can see why the wreckers a decent rush album track but if i was a young potential fan out there the tune wouldnt blow me away as a single and i probably wouldnt wanna hear it again, something like seven cities be much better

You don't necessarily pick the best song on the album (which isn't Seven Cities of Gold) as a single, you pick the most accessible and catchy tracks (like The Wreckers). And The Wreckers happens to be a better song than SCOG, but that's besides the point. The Wreckers has tremendous commercial potential. Seven Cities does not.

QUOTE (The Lofty Oaks @ Jul 24 2012, 07:16 PM)
Anybody even listen to radio anymore?

No, the radio sucks and has for awhile.

That's what I have my Rush CDs for smile.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 24 2012, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 24 2012, 04:58 PM)
I love The Wreckers, but it is an awful choice for a single.  I don't know who picks Rush's singles, but they are rarely good choices.  Far Cry is an exception.

I may catch hell for this, but I would remix Wish Them Well down to about four minutes and release that as a single.  I think it is more radio friendly than just about anything on CA. 

I also thought they should have released How It Is as a single, but nobody asked me.

I don't think a lot of the lyrics to The Wreckers are too radio-friendly.

Good idea to mix-down other stronger tracks as releasable radio edits.

I don't think being radio-friendly has anything to do with lyrics. just about any kind of lyrics can be found on the radio with the right hooks..

'the wreckers' has a straight ahead rock and roll feel which makes it the best choice for the next single. which is their FORTH single btw.. not third....

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 24 2012, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 24 2012, 02:53 PM)
It sounds like a Foo Fighters song, the FF get played on the radio.

sounds worse than foo fighters and i don't like foo fighters.

I HATE Foo Fighters and really like The Wreckers.

Not sure why any of you are bitching about a Rush song getting radio play. Who cares what song it is. Real fans of the band would never bitch about hearing their songs on any radio station. Fcking bitch, bitch, bitch. I feel sorry for your wives and girlfriends.

Sorry, neither my wife nor my girlfriend is a bitch.

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Jul 25 2012, 01:30 PM)

Sorry, neither my wife nor my girlfriend is a bitch.

rofl3.gif nice one!

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 10:34 PM)
My 15 year old daughter even harmonizes with the chorus. To daddy's delight!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

You should record that and post it for ReflectedLight. tongue.gif

Funny, after I was kind of slagging on the chorus yesterday, it got stuck in my head while I was hiking later for about 45 minutes. tongue.gif I really don't hate it, just don't like the way "con-TRAR-y" is phrased.

But The Wreckers is still a great tune, and is absolutely redeemed by:

1. the verse, which was one of my "goosebumps" moments on first listen: "The breakers roar, on an unseen shore." wub.gif Geddy's voice sounds great here, and I love the lyrics.

2. the bridge, still one of the highlights of the album. It's probably the most "cinematic" moment of the album, and really is going to be EPIC live with the string section. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 25 2012, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 24 2012, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 24 2012, 02:53 PM)
It sounds like a Foo Fighters song, the FF get played on the radio.

sounds worse than foo fighters and i don't like foo fighters.

I HATE Foo Fighters and really like The Wreckers.

interesting..... sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 24 2012, 04:03 PM)
It will be played on the radio for about 2 weeks and then you will hear Limelight agian

2 weeks? Like HF, it won't ever be played at all where I live.

I asked the program director for the station here, who lives down the street. HF has never been played. Since its way better than Wreckers, no chance.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 25 2012, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 24 2012, 04:03 PM)
It will be played on the radio for about 2 weeks and then you will hear Limelight agian

2 weeks? Like HF, it won't ever be played at all where I live.

I asked the program director for the station here, who lives down the street. HF has never been played. Since its way better than Wreckers, no chance.

Apparently Headlong Flight is actually doing okay on the "Mainstream Rock Charts," whatever relevance that has anymore. tongue.gif

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/07/24...lockwork-Angels

"Headlong Flight was released online back on April 18th and made available for purchase on iTunes on April 24th. It has been in the top 10 on the Mainstream Rock Charts for several weeks and is currently sitting at #6."

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=255612

Of course, none of this is as much fun as the false rumor that The Larger Bowl was going to be released to Country stations. tongue.gif Anyone remember that? Ay caramba! tongue.gif

I'm struggling to see the importance in this. It may get a little more airplay in some places but everyone that has the album can listen to it whenever they want. I don't think it will get enough airplay to make a massive difference to sales of the album or even of the single.

To those of you who hate the way con-TRAR-y is pronounced, try singing the chorus pronouncing it CON-trary as normal. It just doesn't work. I still don't understand why people are getting their panties in a bunch over that. It's not like Ged hasn't pronounced words oddly before Edited by SchemingDemon

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 25 2012, 06:06 PM)
To those of you who hate the way con-TRAR-y is pronounced, try singing the chorus pronouncing it CON-trary as normal. It just doesn't work. I still don't understand why people are getting their panties in a bunch over that. It's not like Ged hasn't pronounced words oddly before

Not me, I wear boxers. tongue.gif Like I said, I don't hate it. But as good as the verses and bridge are, I think the chorus could have been even better if tweaked.

It feels like they just squeezed in a couple too many syllables. I think it could have been improved even by just getting rid of the "that"s:

All I know... is sometimes you have to be wary

Of a miracle too good to be true

All I know... is sometimes the truth is contrary

Everything in life you thought you knew

'Cause sometimes the target is you

But you're right, we're still stuck with the con-TRAR-y. tongue.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 25 2012, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 25 2012, 06:06 PM)
To those of you who hate the way con-TRAR-y is pronounced, try singing the chorus pronouncing it CON-trary as normal. It just doesn't work. I still don't understand why people are getting their panties in a bunch over that. It's not like Ged hasn't pronounced words oddly before

Not me, I wear boxers. tongue.gif Like I said, I don't hate it. But as good as the verses and bridge are, I think the chorus could have been even better if tweaked.

It feels like they just squeezed in a couple too many syllables. I think it could have been improved even by just getting rid of the "that"s:

Of a miracle too good to be true

All I know... is sometimes the truth is contrary

Everything in life you thought you knew

'Cause sometimes the target is you

But you're right, we're still stuck with the con-TRAR-y. tongue.gif

Interesting idea. In another thread someone mentioned the chorus could've been reworked to "[guitar]...Sometimes you have to be wary / of a miracle to good to be true. [guitar]...sometimes the truth is contrary," etc. That would give it even more space. Either way, some breathing room is sorely needed here.

Edited by NYM86