The Wreckers Selected as the Next Single...

Jag2112

Rush has just announced that 'The Wreckers' will be the next official single off of Clockwork Angels.

I guess that's not too surprising given that CA CD's were plastered with "Includes the Wreckers" sticker on the front of them, but I was hoping 'The Garden' would follow up HF...

Thoughts?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like a Foo Fighters song, the FF get played on the radio.

I thought this should have been their first single. It's EASILY the one with most commercial appeal and potential. It's the most accessible song on the album.

The real question here is, will Roadrunner be able to do anything with it? It's been forever since Rush had a successful single, much less a successful second (or in this case essentially THIRD) single.

I have serious doubts about it making any kind of impact or dent. If Far Cry wasn't a massive hit, The Wreckers won't be either. It deserves to be, but it won't be.

It will be played on the radio for about 2 weeks and then you will hear Limelight agian

As it should be. Makes perfect sense as it's certainly "radio friendly" in the realm of your average modern Rush song. Sure, it might get minor air play at best...but it can capture a new fan or two like back in the day when I heard "The Pass" on the radio. confused13.gif

I also noticed the "Headlong Flight/The Wreckers" sticker on the store version...so it's cool that the tune gets some showcase as a single.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 24 2012, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2012, 04:01 PM)
If Far Cry wasn't a massive hit

no surprise there.

laugh.gif No shit

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 24 2012, 02:47 PM)
what did geddy and alex, who once graced the stage with double-necks and made hemispheres, xanadu, bytor etc....come up with a cheesy song like the wreckers?  it's mind boggling. wacko.gif

http://godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/images/smilies/blahblah.gif

I love The Wreckers, but it is an awful choice for a single. I don't know who picks Rush's singles, but they are rarely good choices. Far Cry is an exception.

I may catch hell for this, but I would remix Wish Them Well down to about four minutes and release that as a single. I think it is more radio friendly than just about anything on CA.

I also thought they should have released How It Is as a single, but nobody asked me.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 24 2012, 04:47 PM)
what did geddy and alex, who once graced the stage with double-necks and made hemispheres, xanadu, bytor etc....come up with a cheesy song like the wreckers?  it's mind boggling. wacko.gif

facepalm.gif

But anyway, perfect choice. I agree that it should have been the first single released. It's such a great song! smile.gif

Edited by GUP1771

My local station played this the day the album came out. It really sounded like shit sonically and didn't translate over the airwaves at all. Too busy sounding. I agree with whoever said that Wish Them Well would be a better single. Simpler, better mix makes it easier to understand and appreciate.

what did geddy and alex, who once graced the stage with double-necks and made hemispheres, xanadu, bytor etc....come up with a cheesy song like the wreckers? it's mind boggling. wacko.gif

By-tor is about 2 dogs fighting- one from the underworld and one a prince. How is that not cheesy?

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 24 2012, 04:58 PM)
I love The Wreckers, but it is an awful choice for a single. I don't know who picks Rush's singles, but they are rarely good choices. Far Cry is an exception.

I may catch hell for this, but I would remix Wish Them Well down to about four minutes and release that as a single. I think it is more radio friendly than just about anything on CA.

I also thought they should have released How It Is as a single, but nobody asked me.

I don't think a lot of the lyrics to The Wreckers are too radio-friendly.

Good idea to mix-down other stronger tracks as releasable radio edits.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 24 2012, 06:09 PM)
Do we even care about singles anymore? Does anyone? Does it even matter at all in the scheme of things?

confused13.gif

If it hasnt made a splash yet, it never will. Also, The Wreckers being on the radio wont change much either, sorry for the pessimism. eh.gif

QUOTE (av450 @ Jul 24 2012, 06:04 PM)

By-tor is about 2 dogs fighting- one from the underworld and one a prince. How is that not cheesy?

it's not cheesy plus the way geddy sings it is great. i realize they are two different sounding songs, but bytor music absolutely slaughters the wreckers.

i think the wreckers is partially neils fault for giving geddy long cheesy chorus lines. c'mon wary contrary? it's horrible dude. biggrin.gif

I think its great but not surprising - saw it on the TV commercial a month back. I've been playing some songs (The Wreckers, Halo Effect, The Garden) for my non-Rush listening friends and family (basically everyone). They really seem to zero in on these songs as ones they like.

Any airplay that Rush gets is great. No, singles may not matter anymore but playing a great Rush song to anyone who will listen will always be fanshmabulous.

smile.gif