The Wreckers is the most skippable track on CA.

Alchemical

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 1 2012, 08:29 PM)
When I hear the beginning of the song it takes me somewhere....a pirate raid ain't that place,however, I enjoy the song. Much like moonshine...it's a preference thing. I look at it from a musical standpoint, as a musician who can play a ton of the rush catalog, the transition from a sprightly sounding intro....to getting drilled by pirates type dark toned groove just sounds awkward and forced to me. That being said...they have other songs that have fit the same bill so to speak. They grew on me over time.

2.gif

In my opinion, I think the melody of the opening chord progression portrays the expectation of a fruitful voyage; the Angels suggest everything will turn out for the best...

Then it doesn't...

This song tells a story lyrically, as well as melodically!!! There remains hope and learning from the experience as suggested by the chorus...from the lone survivor.

2.gif

Edited by RushIslander

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Jul 1 2012, 08:45 PM)
When I hear the beginning of the song it takes me somewhere....a pirate raid ain't that place,however, I enjoy the song. Much like moonshine...it's a preference thing. I look at it from a musical standpoint, as a musician who can play a ton of the rush catalog, the transition from a sprightly sounding intro....to getting drilled by pirates type dark toned groove just sounds awkward and forced to me. That being said...they have other songs that have fit the same bill so to speak. They grew on me over time.

2.gif

In my opinion, I think the melody of the opening chord progression portrays the expectation of a fruitful voyage; the Angels suggest everything will turn out for the best...

Then it doesn't...

This song tells a story lyrically, as well as melodically!!!

2.gif

I think you just nailed it for me. I'm not reading the story part into it...because I'm into the songs, taking each one as a seperate entity. In an interview geddy said that each song could be appreciated on it's own...much like a who concept album...

Wow...thanks...wait...it still sucks to my ears...I'm tryin!!!

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 1 2012, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (RushIslander @ Jul 1 2012, 08:45 PM)

2.gif

Then it doesn't...

This song tells a story lyrically, as well as melodically!!!

2.gif

I think you just nailed it for me. I'm not reading the story part into it...because I'm into the songs, taking each one as a seperate entity. In an interview geddy said that each song could be appreciated on it's own...much like a who concept album...

Wow...thanks...wait...it still sucks to my ears...I'm tryin!!!

Hang in there buddy, you'll get it...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 1 2012, 07:24 PM)
Dont agree. Although it's not very original or all that different from what bands like Foo Fighters are doing, to me it's one of the few songs with a catchy chorus melody, and Im a sucker for those so Im fine with it. I dont skip it.

Come to think of it.....I hear Foo Fighters all over the verses...

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 1 2012, 08:49 PM)
Skip worthy tracks....Seven Cities of Gold, Caravan, BU2B(NEVER liked these 2) and Carnies. I really like The Wreckers. Oh and BU2B2

Mick

Wow, you're like the anti-me

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 1 2012, 10:37 PM)
QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 1 2012, 08:49 PM)
Skip worthy tracks....Seven Cities of Gold, Caravan, BU2B(NEVER liked these 2) and Carnies.  I really like The Wreckers. Oh and BU2B2

Mick

Wow, you're like the anti-me

laugh.gif Well if you read back my position on CA is clear. Don't hate the record by any means.....but nowhere near thrilled either.....still early, though could change.

Mick

No.

Nope. No way. Not skipping that one. I honestly thought this was a joke or spam thread because I cant imagine anyone would think such a thing.

I can feel that song in my heart right now and I'm only just singing it in my head. It really has quite a pull.

If I skip any, it's Caravan and BU2B 'cuz I've heard them a lot and know them pretty well. I can understand how Wreckers might not be someones fave.

I'm still having a hard time deciding on a least favorite song. I have favorites, but each song has something I really like about it, some mor than others.

Only Seven Cities of Gold and Wish Them Well as given the skip-able nod. Carnies, Halo Effect, and BU2B2 are on the bubble. Edited by Gompers

Huh? The Wreckers is probably the best track on the album. Amazing melody, powerful.

The only song I tend to skip is Seven Cities of Gold. Not a big blues fan, too repetitive. Boring.

And BU2B2 of course, but that's not a song really, just an interlude. Completely unnecessary song that doesn't work at all outside the album.

They should've just done a short instrumental there.

I think The Wreckers would be better if it weren't afflicted with that darn "Rush-goes-to-the-chorus-well-one-too-many-times Syndrome*." It also suffers from all the pre-release hype** it received--after reading several reviews about how catchy and timeless the chorus was supposed to be, the end result didn't meet my expectations...but that's just my opinion. It's an okay song, but in my bottom 3 for CA.

* - when did this begin?...maybe with "Superconductor"?

** - I really like CA as a whole, but in hindsight I wish I hadn't bought into some of those glowing pre-release reviews that heaped praise on every single track...the hype set my expectations way too high.

Edited by Gnoom

I really don't get some of the hate for The Wreckers. It's akin to saying - yeah, S&A is pretty good, but that Far Cry song has to go, or saying Moving Pictures is a GREAT album but that Limelight song - meh!

I'm not saying The Wreckers is necessarily as good as Far Cry or Limelight, but that it's so obviously one of the strongest tracks on CA - an immediate standout. Had this song been released as a single back in the day, it would have been a huge hit - melodic, catchy, accessible.