Can Geddy not pronounce words anymore?

CantStopThinkingBig

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 27 2012, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 27 2012, 04:56 AM)
Not understanding a lyric never stopped me from liking one of their tunes in the past.

yes.gif

This thread is pure awesome... for all the wrong reasons.

People saying that Geddy is having trouble pronouncing some words, and people defend him. Was anyone saying that this shouldn't be happening? Was anyone saying it makes the record terrible? If so, I missed it....

People making a valid observation are getting jumped on because it might make Rush look bad? You really think that is what Rush wants? Talk about f***ing Subdivision.... here we have a group of Rush fans "fighting" over his poor pronunciation of a few words.

Grow up.

With all due respect, the OP talked about it being all over CA, not just a few words. When I asked OP for more examples besides Carnies, OP replied with "the entire album". LIX, to me and many others, that's some troll-like behavior.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 27 2012, 09:05 AM)
Not understanding a lyric never stopped me from liking one of their tunes in the past.

yes.gif

People saying that Geddy is having trouble pronouncing some words, and people defend him. Was anyone saying that this shouldn't be happening? Was anyone saying it makes the record terrible? If so, I missed it....

People making a valid observation are getting jumped on because it might make Rush look bad? You really think that is what Rush wants? Talk about f***ing Subdivision.... here we have a group of Rush fans "fighting" over his poor pronunciation of a few words.

Grow up.

With all due respect, the OP talked about it being all over CA, not just a few words. When I asked OP for more examples besides Carnies, OP replied with "the entire album". LIX, to me and many others, that's some troll-like behavior.

I love Rush as much as anyone (hell, THIS morning my wife said "why don't you just marry Rush" laugh.gif) But after seeing this thread, and the one I started last week... I think it's hard to deny that some words are sounding sloppy. And I'm not talking purely pronunciation, but it sounds to me like a lot of spit is flying, and like I've said before - I never really noticed it prior to this album.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 02:50 AM)
Ged knows his vocal limitaions but is "going for it"

[...snip...]

Geddy Lee in 2012 sounds pretty f***ing cool.

yes.gif

Geddy is using 58 year old vocal cords to sing some pretty complicated lyrics over some truly great and often complex music. As long as he doesn't start turning into Jamie LeBrie (especially live) in the enunciation department, it's all good with me.

Someone mentioned hearing problems...I've never heard that he had any, but it's certainly possible and would be a contributing factor.

Maybe the muscles in and around his mouth and neck aren't as tight anymore (I'm ten years younger than him and I know what mine are like), which could also be a contributing factor.

Heck...maybe it's even his aging teeth.

All this crap changes as we get older. Like eshine says, I think Geddy still sounds pretty f'ing cool.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 27 2012, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 27 2012, 02:07 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2012, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 07:27 PM)
Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

Age and vocal degradation.

/topic

*sigh

Show us what you mean, Trenken, and post a link to your singing and bass playing that you always use as a point of reference.

You are all talk, man.

Are you f***ing kidding me?

No, I'm f***ing not

So your response to a perfectly reasonable post is to ask to see the other person's qualifications? Geddy has aged, vocal chords do strain and get worse over time, how is your response at all reasonable.

It's sweet that you took your mouth off of Trenkens cock long enough to defend him.

Had you not, you would probably sound like Geddy?

Stop being so emotional and act your age.

Trenken was being perfectly logical, you're just taking this very personally for some reason...

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 27 2012, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 27 2012, 09:05 AM)

yes.gif

Grow up.

I love Rush as much as anyone (hell, THIS morning my wife said "why don't you just marry Rush" laugh.gif) But after seeing this thread, and the one I started last week... I think it's hard to deny that some words are sounding sloppy. And I'm not talking purely pronunciation, but it sounds to me like a lot of spit is flying, and like I've said before - I never really noticed it prior to this album.

I wonder what people would say if Geddy would just start Growling, like most other new heavy metals singers now a days. Maybe he's just going for an effect on those few parts that people have mentioned. I know the part in Canies where he screams " A Wheel of Fate, a game of Chance" is an effect where he's trying to sound like one of the old top hat wearing Carnies at the fair trying to get you to loose you hard earned money at one of those highly rigged games.

cool.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 26 2012, 08:57 PM)
Must say, it IS a bit shocking when you look at videos from, say, the Grace Under Pressure tour. Check out this 1984 performance of New World Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR-ATNh3Dto

Crystal clear articulation...I don't even think I enunciate this well when I'm speaking conversationally. So it's definitely been a big drop-off since those days, but that's nitpicking. We're lucky that they're still even recording.

Nice to see you stick up for Geddy, but his articulation was a bit sloppy even in the video you provided (my favorite Rush live DVD by the way). His voice has been this way live pretty much ever he started hitting the lower register. Keep in kind that video was ~28 years ago

Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

/topic

*sigh

Show us what you mean, Trenken, and post a link to your singing and bass playing that you always use as a point of reference.

You are all talk, man.

No, I'm f***ing not

So your response to a perfectly reasonable post is to ask to see the other person's qualifications? Geddy has aged, vocal chords do strain and get worse over time, how is your response at all reasonable.

It's reasonable because trenken constantly bashes Geddy's singing, bass playing, and songwriting on this forum, and talks about how talented he (trenken) is, how he pull off Ged's playing and singing on Power Windows and Hemispheres, and how he writes more ambitious music than Rush's "standard issue rock songs." So some of us are curious to hear what trenken is really capable of. Maybe he's got some cool prog music we'd all enjoy? Show me don't tell me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...
Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 08:21 AM)
And with that post you lose any credibility you might have ever had.

Credibility??

Uhm, this is an internet forum where a bunch of middle aged men are arguing about how well a 58 year old rock singer can "enunciate", not the G8 Summit

This place is silly.

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ Jun 27 2012, 12:47 PM)
Well, I don't like the way Geddy is tying his shoes lately. If you look at pictures from the 70's, he had a much tighter knot.

Some of you people REALLY need to lighten up ...............

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 27 2012, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (bruggy66 @ Jun 27 2012, 12:47 PM)
Well, I don't like the way Geddy is tying his shoes lately.  If you look at pictures from the 70's, he had a much tighter knot.

Some of you people REALLY need to lighten up ...............

facepalm.gif

No shi t...people get too wound up about the stupidest crap.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 10:46 AM)

Credibility??

Uhm, this is an internet forum where a bunch of middle aged men are arguing about how well a 58 year old rock singer can "enunciate", not the G8 Summit

This place is silly.

None of what you just said is any kind of excuse for posting this:

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 06:21 AM)
It's sweet that you took your mouth off of Trenkens cock long enough to defend him.

And if this place is too silly for you, well, you know where the door is. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 01:06 PM)

Credibility??

This place is silly.

And if this place is too silly for you, well, you know where the door is. wink.gif

choose the curtain.... or what's in the box... there's always a Zonk behind the door!

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 27 2012, 12:42 PM)

/topic

*sigh

You are all talk, man.

No, I'm f***ing not

It's reasonable because trenken constantly bashes Geddy's singing, bass playing, and songwriting on this forum, and talks about how talented he (trenken) is, how he pull off Ged's playing and singing on Power Windows and Hemispheres, and how he writes more ambitious music than Rush's "standard issue rock songs." So some of us are curious to hear what trenken is really capable of. Maybe he's got some cool prog music we'd all enjoy? Show me don't tell me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...

Lol, I love that quote at the bottom there. "I'm trying really hard not to use power chords."

Any actual guitarist should know that Alex used plenty back in the day also. Maybe not as much as he does now. But he used them a chunk back in their heyday also. They're also called extended power chords. I love how people get on power chords because they're easy to play, yet using many other chord forms are just as easy to play and transition to.

I'm still waiting for trenken's 20 albums of material where he keeps every single song fresh over 40 years. Apparently, he's used 3 years to "try hard and not use power chords." Sorry, but I'm not buying it. When you pack your mouth so full of shit, you start to lose focus of what you're actually trying to say.

Talk is cheap. At the end of that tunnel somewhere, he had better have an insanely good album with incredible artwork, or else I'll be insanely disappointed. Call it the burden of expectation after so much hype.

wink.gif

Edited by HemispheresserehpsimeH

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 01:06 PM)

Credibility??

This place is silly.

I don't need an excuse - it was an off the cuff comment written at 4 in the morning after some beer. Typical sort of stupid shit guys should be able to handle hearing from each other

This place is silly and no, I wont leave

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 27 2012, 01:11 PM)
Lol, I love that quote at the bottom there. "I'm trying really hard not to use power chords."

Any actual guitarist should know that Alex used plenty back in the day also. Maybe not as much as he does now. But he used them a chunk back in their heyday also. They're also called extended power chords. I love how people get on power chords because they're easy to play, yet using many other chord forms are just as easy to play and transition to.

I'm still waiting for trenken's 20 albums of material where he keeps every single song fresh over 40 years. Apparently, he's used 3 years to "try hard and not use power chords." Sorry, but I'm not buying it. When you pack your mouth so full of shit, you start to lose focus of what you're actually trying to say.

Talk is cheap. At the end of that tunnel somewhere, he had better have an insanely good album with incredible artwork, or else I'll be insanely disappointed. Call it the burden of expectation after so much hype.

wink.gif

tongue.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

God love our mods here. They are more patient people than me for sure dealing with all the asinine morons creating shit-wipe topics like this.

I would have "Darwin-ed" at least five people the past month, and damned good riddance.

To the mods!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:04 PM)
God love our mods here. They are more patient people than me for sure dealing with all the asinine morons creating shit-wipe topics like this.

I would have "Darwin-ed" at least five people the past month, and damned good riddance.

To the mods!

trink39.gif

What? You must be easily offended!

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 06:27 PM)

Maybe clean out your ears.

If you can't understand what he's singing then you have a problem hearing.

It's that simple.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 26 2012, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 09:12 PM)

I can't hear you... In fact, YOUR voice seems muffled for some reason.

http://winnietoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/asshole.jpg

Seriously? Listen to him sing "A deadly confrontation"

How can you not hear it?

He doesn't want to.

<----- warning: has not read entire thread unsure.gif

I personally think the "cotton-mouth" sound is due to mixing and sound effects to make him sound this way. Someone mentioned 7 cities - which is quite echo-y but I'm sure it was done on purpose for effect. They don't record any record nowdays as it sounds in the studio, ya know tongue.gif

He's quite clear on The Garden, which is the closest to that pure "musical instrument" sound as you get on this record.