The First 3 vs. The Last 3

JohnnyBlaze

Which do you like more?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more?

• The first 3 Rush albums
    • The last 3 Rush Albums

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 22 2012, 07:36 AM)
Oh fer fecksake, the most recent three. The first three are my least favorite Rush albums...ever. Period.

CA is better than any of them.

You cranky old schoolers crack me up. Give me Headlong Flight over In The Mood, thanks! Give me the title track to CA over Fountain Of Cobbled Together Bit & Pieces Posing As A Song. ANY random 3 Rush albums are better than the first three.

biggrin.gif

I agree CA is better than 2.gif through CoS , and it's better than CP through S&A and it's better than quite a few more scattered in there. But collectively, if I have to pick three, I'm going 1-3....Although I'd like to go 6,9,20.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 22 2012, 12:42 AM)
Can't see how the first three can stack up against the last three overall, considering you've got CoS in there -- the album that nearly killed the band and produced the "Down the Tubes" tour.

COS almost 'killed' the band because it wasn't commercially succesful.

Agreed 100%

BUT, being commercially succesful means that you are popular to the 'Rolling Stones' (magazine) of the world and means that you sell out.

f**k THAT!!!!

Rush HAS NEVER been about that. They have ALWAYS been true to themselves. COS rocked like nothing before.

When the record company pushed back, did they give in and make some bullshit album. Hell no. They rode the momentum of an incredible album and made 2112!!!

Another reason the COS tour wasn't a big success: prior to the album, they were typically an opening act. For many shows they headlined for the first time on the COS tour. Were they ready to sell out arenas/larger venues? Of course not.

I know people around here probably don't understand my love for COS. I probably don't get it either.

I just know that for me, it is such an honest hard rocking album (and METAL too)

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Jun 22 2012, 07:31 AM)
First 3...COS wub.gif

trink39.gif

Can't wait until our TRF Jiffy Lube Live Tailgate.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 22 2012, 06:36 AM)

You cranky old schoolers crack me up. Give me Headlong Flight over In The Mood, thanks! Give me the title track to CA over Fountain Of Cobbled Together Bit & Pieces Posing As A Song.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 22 2012, 11:04 PM)
Can't see how the first three can stack up against the last three overall, considering you've got CoS in there -- the album that nearly killed the band and produced the "Down the Tubes" tour.

Agreed 100%

BUT, being commercially succesful means that you are popular to the 'Rolling Stones' (magazine) of the world and means that you sell out.

f**k THAT!!!!

Rush HAS NEVER been about that. They have ALWAYS been true to themselves. COS rocked like nothing before.

When the record company pushed back, did they give in and make some bullshit album. Hell no. They rode the momentum of an incredible album and made 2112!!!

Another reason the COS tour wasn't a big success: prior to the album, they were typically an opening act. For many shows they headlined for the first time on the COS tour. Were they ready to sell out arenas/larger venues? Of course not.

I know people around here probably don't understand my love for COS. I probably don't get it either.

I just know that for me, it is such an honest hard rocking album (and METAL too)

Don't worry...I definitely understand it.

CoS is f'n amazing...and if people can't understand it, too damn bad. It f'n rocks people! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 23 2012, 04:26 AM)

Agreed 100%

f**k THAT!!!!

CoS is f'n amazing...and if people can't understand it, too damn bad. It f'n rocks people! 1022.gif

Count me in trink39.gif 1022.gif

The only album I absolutely LOVE is COS. FBN has By Tor..... RUSH has.... well, nothing really, maybe Take a Friend....

Last three, totally last three. I love VT except OOTC, Snakes and Arrows was pretty good, and Clockwork Angels is a blast out of the park, sans for the muddy production.

I've tied this up. Let's not break that tie, now.

Edited by D3strukt

I love the first album. I can't remember the last time I listened to FBN or COS all the way through.

I like VT a lot. S&A is okay and I'm really digging CA right now.

Therefore...I have to go with the last three for now.

Rush is a half a good album.

Fly By Night is a half a great album.

Caress of Steel, to my ears, is merely a curiosity. It simply doesn't gel as a coherent piece of work.

Vapor Trails, well, we all know what's wrong with it. Remaster the damn thing and cut 20-25 minutes and I think you'll have a good album.

Snakes & Arrows, again, cut it down to a 40-45 minute album and you'll have an excellent album.

Clockwork Angels is a wonderful and challenging album, everything sounds and feels like it belongs. I haven't enjoyed a Rush album this much in DECADES.

And, if I go song by song, I have to choose the last three albums.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 23 2012, 06:04 AM)

Agreed 100%

f**k THAT!!!!

Me too! trink36.gif

But, I only listen to half of Rush, half of FBN, and 4/5 of CoS. I listen to a little VT, almost all of SnA and all of CA. So I voted the latter. We're up 26-24 now tongue.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 24 2012, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 23 2012, 06:04 AM)

Agreed 100%

f**k THAT!!!!

Me too! trink36.gif

But, I only listen to half of Rush, half of FBN, and 4/5 of CoS. I listen to a little VT, almost all of SnA and all of CA. So I voted the latter. We're up 26-24 now tongue.gif

I can see that reasoning.

But it's hard to fight the first 3 simply because those albums (if you're a longtime fan) are deeply engrained in your personal history. I mean, FBN came out when I was 3 BUT I started listening to it when I was 9. That's 30 years of enjoyment! FBN was there playing in the background when I stressed about starting high school. It was there when I joyously took my last final and tore out of the high school parking lot in my shitty Dodge Colt. It was there in uni when I skipped class and took rural road trips with friends instead. It's hard to fight that kind of history even if Headlong Flight beats the living shit out songs like Rivendell. It's the reason why I made the poll "Which 3 do you like more" instead of "Which 3 are better".

Actually, I haven't even voted yet.

for me this is incredibly easy. CoS has 5 minutes of classic (Bastille Day), 5 minutes of good (Lakeside Park) and 30+ minutes of 062802puke_prv.gif (everything else). FBN has Anthem and the title track but is saddled wih Rivendell schla03.gif and In The End. 2.gif is the best of the first 3 (Finding My Way, Working Man, What You're Doing), and still each of the last 3 are better by far.

As a 3 on 3, VT/S&A/CA wins in a total bitchslap.gif

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 22 2012, 06:23 AM)
This one is tough.

Basing it on what songs I have on my phone.

I have:

2 songs from 2.gif
2 from FBN
0 from CoS

0 from VT
0 from S&A
12 from CA

Although there are 12 new songs, there are 4 from 2 different old albums so I'm going frist three.

I'd edit my original post but it's not giving me that option...Anyway I realized I'd made a mistake...I based my choice on which songs are on my phone and I only have 1 song from 2.gif and I have Lakeside Park from CoS on there as well so although it doesn't change my opinion there are:

1 song from 2.gif

2 from FBN

1 from CoS.

Comes down to Clockwork Angels vs. Caress of Steel for me. I went with Caress. Also, there is stuff on the first two records that outdo VT and S&A. It was close, but I went with the first 3 by a nose...a small nose.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2012, 03:08 PM)
Rush and CA are pretty much awesome all the way through.

Caress of Steel and S&A are both about 60% awesome.

FBN blows VT away by a hundred million miles.

The first three! yes.gif 1287.gif

yes.gif

Gotta go with Goobs on this one. By far my favorite out of the six is Clockwork Angels, but Vapor Trails is so bad, that it actually taints the final three irreparably.

Besides, Caress of Steel is better than Snakes and Arrows.

Edited by Captain Avatar

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 22 2012, 06:36 AM)
Oh fer fecksake, the most recent three.  The first three are my least favorite Rush albums...ever.  Period.

CA is better than any of them.

You cranky old schoolers crack me up.  Give me Headlong Flight over In The Mood, thanks!  Give me the title track to CA over Fountain Of Cobbled Together Bit & Pieces Posing As A Song.  ANY random 3 Rush albums are better than the first three.

biggrin.gif

I'm neither cranky nor an ORG/NRB zealot. Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails are f***ing GREAT but any of the first three beat S&A (a good album in its own right) in terms of energy, excitement, memorable guitar riffs/solos and sheer kick ass rock n roll attitude. Give me anything on side two of the debut over anything on S&A, thanks!

The description of Fountain couldn't be further off the mark - simply four well crafted songs that work together to tell a story, just like Clockwork Angels.

It's looking like Rush's worst run of 3 in a row is going to turn out to be HYF/Presto/RTB...and that ain't too shabby at all.

Ranking all Rush albums, the six aforementioned albums take these slots:

8. Fly By Night

10.Clockwork Angels

11. Vapor Trails

13. Rush

14. Caress Of Steel

18. Snakes & Arrows

I guess because of S&A's inferiority, 'Archives' gets the vote from me.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 22 2012, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Jun 22 2012, 07:31 AM)
First 3...COS  wub.gif

trink39.gif

Can't wait until our TRF Jiffy Lube Live Tailgate.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2012, 08:26 PM)

Agreed 100%

f**k THAT!!!!

Love 'The Necromancer' on CoS!

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 24 2012, 12:31 PM)
Comes down to Clockwork Angels vs. Caress of Steel for me. I went with Caress. Also, there is stuff on the first two records that outdo VT and S&A. It was close, but I went with the first 3 by a nose...a small nose.

Not a Weinrib nose, then laugh.gif

I voted for the last three, because although I really like a couple of songs on the debut, most of the songs on Fly By Night, and many parts of Caress Of Steel, none of those albums taken as whole works do for me what I'm looking for from Rush albums. It's hard to describe exactly what that is, because it doesn't depend on my liking every song, but it's a very distinct feeling. Of the last three albums, both Clockwork Angels and Snakes And Arrows have it very clearly, and Vapour Trails comes close. Of the first three, Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel come close, but the debut lags far behind.