• Clockwork Angels isn't/wasn't what I thought at any point
    • Been a while
    • Can't find why not to like it
    • Have to listen to it/did listen to it
    • Bought it for the cover artwork
    • Grabs hold, and won't let go
    • Not a fan, but still like other albums
    • Ruins other albums. Total devastation

If only Geddy can get his ability to compose/sing a good melody back AND Neil can go back to writing lyrics that can more easily be put into a good song again, I'd like it much more. Pretty much all of Neil's lyrics starting with VT make for interesting poetry but awkward sounding songs...too many words in most. Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 15 2012, 11:13 PM)
If only Geddy can get his ability to compose/sing a good melody back AND Neil can go back to writing lyrics that can more easily be put into a good song again, I'd like it much more. Pretty much all of Neil's lyrics starting with VT make for interesting poetry but awkward sounding songs...too many words in most.

Disagree with that. I think the vocals flow well on this record.

Grabs hold....After repeated listens, absorbing the lyrics, etc, I can definitely say (IMO) that this is hands down the finest Rush album top to bottom since Grace Under Pressure. And the only one that comes close in quality since then is Counterparts.

What about CA? What do you think?

Well, I lived in San Jose for a year, back in 1977. That was nice; we'd take day trips to San Francisco, Santa Cruz beach boardwalk, or the amusement park in Santa Clara (now a Six Flags; then it was Marriott's Great America). The first three times I saw "Star Wars" was in CA, in those San Jose theaters next door to the Winchester Mystery House.

I've also been to CA for my honeymoon. We went to all of the above places, plus Big Sur, Hearst Castle in San Simeon, Venice Beach, Hollywood, Disneyland, and two nights in San Diego (the most perfect weather in the country).

I could go on, but you get my point. Overall, I think CA is beautiful. I could imagine living there again.

What I like about CA -- and why I like Rush overall -- is the atypical lyrics.

I like that their songs aren't the drivel about hooking up/breaking up that most music is. That stuff is just such mindless dreck.

For me, the CA songs are quickly becoming "well known friends." When I play my Rush playlist on random, and a CA song comes up, it fits right in. biggrin.gif

Edited by BriGuy

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 15 2012, 11:13 PM)
If only Geddy can get his ability to compose/sing a good melody back AND Neil can go back to writing lyrics that can more easily be put into a good song again, I'd like it much more. Pretty much all of Neil's lyrics starting with VT make for interesting poetry but awkward sounding songs...too many words in most.

This.

The biggest thing preventing me from fully enjoying this album is Geddy's vocals. Seven Cities of Gold is a perfect example. The music is good but Ged's vocals make the song practically unlistenable.

I love it, only 2 songs i don't like and i Hate the production but ........... 1022.gif

Grabs hold and won't let go...

After my 2nd listen, there isn't any music I've heard in the last 20 years that has given me goosebumps and a sense of "hope" that epic, superior quality music is not dead but is alive and well in the hands of a band called Rush.

2.gif