The Anarchist

iluvgeddy05

So far, this is The One for me. Who else? The leading drums, initial bass notes, the "Bollywood" feel at points, and the ties to a mid-80s Signsls/ GUP sound at the breakdown before the lyrics.

And last, but not least, for the Geddy gals, the vocals of the echoing bridge (" smiles and diamonds" part) are wub.gif

Edited by iluvgeddy05

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 9 2012, 06:19 PM)
So far, this is The One for me. Who else? The leading drums, initial bass notes, the "Bollywood" feel at points, and the ties to a mid-80s Signsls/ GUP sound at the breakdown before the lyrics.

And last, but not least, for the Geddy gals, the vocals of the echoing bridge (" smiles and diamonds" part) are wub.gif

I'm incredibly inclined to agree. I can't get it out of my head!!!

"The lenses inside of me that paint the woooorld black. . ." wub.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 06:22 PM)

This. While I might not say it's the best on the album, it has been taking over my mind in a major way lately, especially the chorus and that line of it in particular. It's definitely the song that has grown on me the most and improved the most in my mind since first listen.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 9 2012, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 06:22 PM)

"The lenses inside of me that paint the woooorld black. . ."  wub.gif

This. While I might not say it's the best on the album, it has been taking over my mind in a major way lately, especially the chorus and that line of it in particular. It's definitely the song that has grown on me the most and improved the most in my mind since first listen.

It's so freakin' catchy- and the strings remind me of a trapeze artist doin' her thang (I know, wrong song- but that's my synesthesia for ya wink.gif )

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 9 2012, 07:46 PM)
Outstanding. I've only listened to a few of these one time, so I can't say best yet.

It would be a crime not to play this one live. That would drive me to anarchy.

laugh.gif

Agreed. It just begs live treatment. With flames?!

I think it kicks ass!!!! : D biggrin.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 9 2012, 06:46 PM)
Outstanding. I've only listened to a few of these one time, so I can't say best yet.

It would be a crime not to play this one live. That would drive me to anarchy.

Live would be great!

I also believe it strikes the right balance between accessibility and being thought- provoking. I can see casual listeners and hard-core musicians feeling some sort of connection to this song.

Yup, I LOVE this song. Such a classic Rush song. The nod-to-PeW/MP/Signals parts, the Geddy bass riffage in the chorus, the textural elements (megaphone Geddy, the tasteful yet effective strings), Neil's tribal drum parts, the relentless feel of it (careful while driving while listening to this song, you might find yourself going 20 miles over the speed limit.)

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 9 2012, 09:26 PM)
the relentless feel of it (careful while driving while listening to this song, you might find yourself going 20 miles over the speed limit.)

Oh I can't WAIT to do this whilst traveling to a Rush concert this fall!

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 9 2012, 08:26 PM)
Yup, I LOVE this song. Such a classic Rush song. The nod-to-PeW/MP/Signals parts, the Geddy bass riffage in the chorus, the textural elements (megaphone Geddy, the tasteful yet effective strings), Neil's tribal drum parts, the relentless feel of it (careful while driving while listening to this song, you might find yourself going 20 miles over the speed limit.)

Guess I will be to the grocery store very early tomorrow rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 9 2012, 08:26 PM)

I agree. This is one song where I can definitely hear some 80-to-82 slipping in.

I am so back/forth on what song is my fave, KellyD.

I love everything so much more now that the hard-rocking pre-releases of Caravan/BU2B/Headlong Flight, balanced a timely and relevant delivery of precious, delicious and scrumptious mix of guitar/bass, vocals(!!!) and drums.

ABSOLUTE CLASSIC. Out of the park on this one...

A man could lose his past/way in an (album?) like this...?

I am lost, on replay, hit me...with 7 cities of gold...

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 05:22 PM)

"The booze of boys in the scarlet mist that's billowed into rage..."

I agree - the lyrics on this gem are superb. Neil has really nailed it on this one!!

1022.gif